Survey: The Art of Progression in Music

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Can you name a band (or bands) that have progressed AND improved over time?

Some disclaimers....

This implies that their latest album has to be better than all previous outings.

This also excludes any band with 2 albums only (or less). :loco:

This also excludes bands that carried on making music but changed their image/style/name etc (e.g. MotW -> Kayo Dot).

Progression is key, albeit subjective I know. With that said, you might think the latest album from Amon Amarth is their greatest yet, but I think we'd ALL agree that no progression was made from earlier efforts.

:Spin:

JayKeeley said:
This also excludes bands that carried on making music but changed their image/style/name etc (e.g. MotW -> Kayo Dot).
You totally excluded my best example you bastard! I still say it counts because the main songwriter's vision was continuous between band names. Also if I remember correctly, they didn't change the name to Kayo Dot until after Choirs of the Eye was written. Snoogins. :cool:

King Crimson has truly progressed since 1969 and has maintained consistent in quality (except some shitty albums in the 80s), although as usual "improvement" is subjective.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm... something tells me Neurosis will be mentioned in this thread.

Nokturnal Mortum already qualify. I don't even need to wait for their new one. :cool:

Of course, if the next one is a step down, then they are disqualified. :heh:

Blind Guardian

.. and drawing a blank after that. :p

The usual pattern for bands is to release their best album first (or second if it's just a revision of the style of the first), then go downhill til they break up.

Or, release a series of AWESOME albums, decide they're sick of being good and well-liked, "change directions" and suck for a bit, then release a 'return to form' album which is usually of dubious quality.

It's sad to be a longtime fan of anybody.

Blind Guardian is another excellent one. Although I'm constantly debating over whether Night at the Opera is better than Nightfall in Middle Earth. I've yet to fully grasp all of NatO, some of the musical passages just blow my mind...

@NAD - I'll give you Kayo Dot then. :)

Winnar! :)

I'm only judging Neurosis by Through Silver in Blood and Neurosis & Jarboe, but it seems like an awfully big progression. It'll be time to pick up more Neurosis very soon, oh yes... [sinister]very soon...[/sinister]

Well, Weiland is certainly a progression and is easily argued their most mature in terms of complex arrangements, and it does have their finest moment contained within...

Still, I don't like to name my favorite album by them. Hey, I'll do an Empyrium Analysis Extravaganza tonight and post results! Your mileage may vary.

Isis is the obvious example. Neurosis, no. Their best albums are Times of Grace and Through Silver in Blood. No one will ever convince me Eye of Every Storm and Sun That Never Sets are better. ANd that Neurosis & Jarboe discs is a borderline abomination. Her vocals quite simply suck.

Surprised Orphaned Land hasn't ben mentioned, though I prefer El Norra alila.

Maybe Negura Bunget....

JayKeeley said:
Who would think that Empyrium would qualify for this? Does anybody think that Weiland is their best album? It's a tough one....
Yep , Weiland is the best . But the band could have gone further in the metal department .
Orphaned Land did progress with time , even if El Norra and Mabool are very close .
Cult Of Luna too , Salvation is the band's masterpiece .

Fuckin excellent thread.

Pig Destroyer I think has progressed with each release, so has Nasum; of course these are grindcore bands, so just how much could they progress is a question that one must ask. Vehemence has progressed nicely, so has Argholesent.

NonMetal:
Dredg- Leitmotif to El Cielo- and before that they were a speed metal band.
Aerogramme- Story in White to Sleep and Release to Seclusion

Well there are alot of bands that were progressing:

Amorphis was progressing, until the last two albums. Celtic Frost, same thing-- then Cold Lake appears.

I thought Voivod progressed with every album, up to their last forgettable pile of crap.

Well this could go on for a while, as it seems alot of bands seem to release one really really bad or mediocre cd.

About King Crimson- Power to Believe wasnt anything special or innovative.

speed said:
NonMetal:
Dredg- Leitmotif to El Cielo- and before that they were a speed metal band.
No way! How funny, I don't see any real metal influence whatsoever with Leitmotif and El Cielo.
speed said:
About King Crimson- Power to Believe wasnt anything special or innovative.
I disagree, like a whole bunch. :)

ITs good Nad, but is it as experimental or monumental as say Wake of Poseidon, or even the 80's Discipline? Its hard to judge King Crimson, as everything they put out is excellent. But, Three of a Perfect Pair, was not as good as their other 80's style record Discipline.

I think for music in general it is pretty experimental, but for them it was just a natural progression from Thrak and ConstruKction of Light. So I do think it has the capability to progress music, but it's just another walk in the park for Robert Fripp. :loco:

The only KC albums I don't like are Three of a Perfect Pair and Beat (which aren't terrible by any means, but when I'm in the mood for that era of KC, I always put on Discipline), and I've still yet to hear Islands.

I'd have to say that Power To Believe is a highly progressive work and more than a trifle for Fripp and company, while it does draw heavily from previous albums and the Projekcts at times, it succeeds brillaintly at incorporating modern technologies into the sound and not once seems content to merely revisit the past. It may not be as restlessly experimental as the Larks-Red phase, but it does uphold their spirit of reinvention...