Symphonic/Melodic Black Metal

None_So_Vile

Malign Paradigm
Jan 8, 2003
Middlesbrough
www.myspace.com
Hi there, just wondering if you could recommend me some bands in this genre?

I already have material by Dissection, Emperor, ...and Oceans, Arcturus, Old Man's Child, Rotting Christ...

Not really interested in Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth..

Any help would be cool, thanks :)

Gehenna - First Spell EP, Seen Through The Veil Of Darkness (Second Spell) and Malice. Those are mandatory.

Limbonic Art - Moon In The Scorpio.

Alghazanth - Osiris: Typhon Unmasked.

Graveland - The Celtic Winter.

Ragnarok - Nattferd.

Troll - Drep De Kristne.

Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter (Wings Of Sorrow) similar to Dissection
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta
Astriaal - Renascent Misanthropy (very intense but it has enough room for melody)
Windir - Arntor, 1184
Mirrorthrone - Of Wind And Weeping - Not BM but kind of close. Good stuff if you're looking for melodic/symphonic BM bands.

how can you like omc and not get into dimmu? i dont follow the logic, they sound pretty much the same except galders vocals are poo with lame lyrics

None_So_Vile said:
Hi there, just wondering if you could recommend me some bands in this genre?

I already have material by Dissection, Emperor, ...and Oceans, Arcturus, Old Man's Child, Rotting Christ...

Not really interested in Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth..

Any help would be cool, thanks :)

Have you heard ...aO's first two albums? Some of the best symph metal released, IMO.

As for new bands...

Sear Bliss
Alghazanth
Carpathian Forest
Gehenna
Samael (mainly for Ceremony Of Opposites)
Sigh
Xasthur
Agathodaimon
Aborym
Cirith Gorgor
Funeris Nocturnum
Limbonic Art
Naglfar

sate_in said:
how can you like omc and not get into dimmu? i dont follow the logic, they sound pretty much the same except galders vocals are poo with lame lyrics

Haha, yeah, and "I HATE HUMANS THEY SUX" is so much better, right?

Dimmu Borgir have a much fuller sound, as the symphonics are done in a much more grandoise and everything is done in a very big and full fashion. Old Man's Child, on the other hand have a far more compact sound, definatly sounds like far fewer instruments are being played. Old Old Man's Child (ie Pagan Prosparity) sounds way different then anything Dimmu Borgir has ever done...

For someone who likes Old Man's Child, what do you feel is their best? I only have "In Defiance of Existence", but I love it and have been listening to it not stop. I will definitley be checking out more. Does Barker drum on any of their other records?

Arthemesia:
- Celebration of the Heaven Lost
- Universal Black
- Breeze of Grief
- Ancestor of Magick

Bathory:
- Blood on Ice
- Mothe Earth Father Thunder

Nokturnal Mortum:
- Kolyada
- Ancient Nation
- Vkus Pobedy
- Mirovozzrenie

Empyrium: (more doom metal really)
- The Ensemble of Silence

BlessedAreTheSick said:
For someone who likes Old Man's Child, what do you feel is their best? I only have "In Defiance of Existence", but I love it and have been listening to it not stop. I will definitley be checking out more. Does Barker drum on any of their other records?

I would say "The Millennium King" is definately their best.

5 albums and 5 different drummers, so Barker only plays on the new one. On "Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion" Gene Hoglan is playing Drums.

Props to whoever said Nargaroth.. although not that melodic, hah.

And Graveworm rules.. they are interested in playing shows with our band! \m/
Graveworm and Tristania can make a man's night I say, just pop some of that shit in and you are golden.

I'll second Limbonic Art.

Satyricon is an excellent group, go for Nemesis Divina.

Atanatos is badass from what I've heard. I've got Oath Of Revenge or something, great album.

Damn, most of my favorites have been mentioned. Ah well-

I second Bathory, Satyricon, Chtonic, Carpathanian Forest, Ulver, and Summoning.

I would aslo recommend-

Sarcophagus if they haven't been mentioned, and forest of impaled who are somewhat black metal. My exposure to bm is somewhat limited, so bear this in mind.