SYMPHONY X: NEW SONG AVAILABLE FOR STREAMING

I would be 100% happy if the naysayers would take their criticisms elsewhere. The musicianship on PL speaks for itself in terms of having a debate with detractors, and it is the direction the band wants to go. There is the door...don't let it hit you on the way out...ha ha. PL was awesome, and this new cd sounds like it might be there best yet. I am glad the keys have returned to some prominence, but I love heavier direction. I am a fan of songs like Candlelight Fantasia and their softer songs, but give me a break...I don't want a full cd of those kinds of songs. Symphony X is a metal band, and I am glad they are holding true to that fact.

I too think Set The World On Fire is one of the weaker songs. Though that's mainly because of the chorus.

I'm reluctant to say that Paradise Lost is their best because V is such a grea album and their two best songs are The Odyssey and Divine Wings Of Tragedy... but Paradise Lost has a couple of songs that contend with the best of Symphony X (which is as much as any album has) and I prefer the more "average" songs on it to the average songs on, say, DWOT. Difficult to say which makes for the best album but I'd definitely not say Paradise Lost out of the running.

The new song isn't among the best of Symphony X, but neither are half the songs from any album. I'll wait until the whole album is out to see how the highlights compare, rather than deciding it sucks because the first song released from it isn't as good as the title track of DWOT.

I would be 100% happy if the naysayers would take their criticisms elsewhere. The musicianship on PL speaks for itself in terms of having a debate with detractors, and it is the direction the band wants to go. There is the door...don't let it hit you on the way out...ha ha. PL was awesome, and this new cd sounds like it might be there best yet. I am glad the keys have returned to some prominence, but I love heavier direction. I am a fan of songs like Candlelight Fantasia and their softer songs, but give me a break...I don't want a full cd of those kinds of songs. Symphony X is a metal band, and I am glad they are holding true to that fact.

Well Said! I don't know if Iconoclast will be their best yet, but I think it will excellent. The beauty of
Symphony X is that they can play metal and the softer songs with equal brilliance. When has any band
with almost 20 years of existence never changed their style? SX could record Happy Birthday and I would buy it because they are simply the best collection of musicians on the planet.:worship:

...but I love heavier direction. I am a fan of songs like Candlelight Fantasia and their softer songs, but give me a break...I don't want a full cd of those kinds of songs. Symphony X is a metal band, and I am glad they are holding true to that fact.

A heavier direction does not make them more "metal" then they used to be. You like the heavier stuff which makes you love the direction they are going in. Other people like the more melodic stuff which makes them like it less. Nobody's point of view is more or less valid because of these facts. If you are a fan of the music it does not mean that you idolise the band. That would be equally wrong to not liking a band on principle because of the music style, without ever having heard a single song. In my experience, having a critical mind is one thing that completely sets metal fans apart from pop music fans (there are, of course, exceptions to both). In my opinion, a true fan is like a true friend, he/she will tell you (in a nice way) when you're about to fuck things up and do something they don't like, but they will love you none the less.

You like the heavier stuff which makes you love the direction they are going in. Other people like the more melodic stuff which makes them like it less. Nobody's point of view is more or less valid because of these facts. If you are a fan of the music it does not mean that you idolise the band. That would be equally wrong to not liking a band on principle because of the music style, without ever having heard a single song. In my experience, having a critical mind is one thing that completely sets metal fans apart from pop music fans (there are, of course, exceptions to both). In my opinion, a true fan is like a true friend, he/she will tell you (in a nice way) when you're about to fuck things up and do something they don't like, but they will love you none the less.

:worship:

Pop/commercial music fans are totally clueless about music, atleast the vast majority of them. That's why they listen to such crap.

Constructive criticism is very important in this world. Complaining on the other hand, is not. Most of the criticism I see here is pure complaining without a trace of valid arguments.

What I want from the new disc is less wanky solos, more odd meter wank, more keyboards, more variation in vocals. I'm quite sure most of this will happen, dunno bout the "less wanky solos" part, but that's probably just me anyways.

Constructive criticism is very important in this world. Complaining on the other hand, is not. Most of the criticism I see here is pure complaining without a trace of valid arguments.

To me, most people who complain seem to have a problem with the fact that SymX are continuing their heavy line all over, both musically and vocally, and would like more of a reversion to their old sound. The only way I can describe it is that I would like them to go back to some of the "Kansas style" songs because I could hear a big influence before and it is what got me into them in the first place. It's kind of difficult to be constructive when it is the overall feel of it that doesn't sit right, but I do get your point ;)

By the way, a band is a product. They have to sell themselves as well as their music. Why else would they bother with the promo shoots? Even touring is in a way selling themselves because people can see how great they are as performers - not just musically. They wouldn't be quite as interesting to me (although they would still be my favourite band) if Russel and Jason weren't in the band, I am shallow (and horny) enough to admit that.

I don't think the old stuff is any less heavy. Of Sins and Shadows and Eyes of Medusa are just as heavy as anything on Paradise Lost.

However, this sounds very by the numbers and safe. obviously they are not going to reinvent the wheel any time soon, but I'd like to hear something a little more daring. This sounds like Romeo wrote it in his sleep.

I thought that in between Divine Wings and The Odyssey the band changed their sound and style ever so slightly on each release, whether it was production, prominence of keyboards, heaviness, there was always something a little altered. Sounds like they are stuck in a rut now, or they just want to reproduce PL, since it's probably their best selling album.

Hopefully there will be some more interesting songs on the album.

However, the production is definitely much better than PL. Much more lively, not as compressed and sterile. The guitars have a nice amount of bite to them.

I liked the new song. You have to just take it for what it is. Let's cut the crap; SX will never make another V or Damnation Game. That's the truth. It looks like if you didn't like PL, it's about time you find another favorite band. Personally, I didn't like PL compared to the earlier albums, but it's not even close to the worst album I've ever heard and it can be quite catchy at times. This new song has a catchy chorus which is pretty much all you need to make a hit these days.

I just listened to it again. I love it now more than ever.

That transition after the end of the solo - "transcend..." where the bass and drums enter and the guitar retreats into that bubbling motif, oh be still my heart! Upon further reflection if the band said something like "we're going to release an album of songs like Candlelight Fantasia," I would preorder it without even bothering to check any samples. Just take my money already, I'd say. Who in prog metal now can write arrangements like that?

Hey I havn't posted here in a long time but I do come here regularly for the updates and to see what people think.
I've been checking this place out regularly recently with the news of the new album ofcourse, but I havn't posted.

I've listened to the new song 3 or 4 times now and it's not that I don't think its a good song it just hasn't really made the impact on me that other SX songs have.
It is a fairly straight forward SX song, they have had songs similar to this on many of their albums, and it's a fairly middle of the road song for me but I still like it and i'm sure it will grow on me and eventually click as most SX songs do.

In general I liked PL but it's definately not among my favourite albums of theirs, I do like their heavier stuff but I most enjoy the albums where they strike a balance between the aggressive side and their beautiful melodies - Twilight, Divine Wings and V being my favourites for this reason.

So far I'm liking this song aesthetically a lot more than anything of PL. I love the guitar sound and think the intro and verse riffs are quiet strong. I do prefer Russ's softer, cleaner vocals over his gruff vocals in general but I really like what he is doing in this song, particularly in the bridge section. It's great to hear some keys again as I sorely missed them on the last album. Mike's solo is great - flashy yet tasteful as always, but I still long for those smooth and exotic solo's from the Divine and Twilight period.
I can see the similarity between this and Set The World On Fire but I think this song is a lot more focused and flows a lot better. I thought Set The World On Fire was kinda a filler song, the flow of it feels really awkward to me especially when the chorus comes in, all the pieces are there but I don't know it seems like somthing is amiss in that song.

Anyway, I'd need to hear this song in the context of the full album as I'm sure it would fit better in the bigger picture. I may have been a bit let down by PL but I still can't wait to hear whats in stock for the rest of the new album. Bring on Iconoclast!