SYMPHONY X: NEW SONG AVAILABLE FOR STREAMING

A whole CD of songs like Candlelight Fantasia? Yes please!

:lol: Indeed!

Let's cut the crap; SX will never make another V or Damnation Game. That's the truth. It looks like if you didn't like PL, it's about time you find another favorite band.

So far, it SEEMS like you might be right. I mean, ever since PL came out, they simply seem to be happy with that direction. When you hear them talk about something like V it doesn't sound like it's something they want to go back to. Still, I'm gonna have to wait until I hear the whole album before I make that judgement though. We may (or may not) be experiencing a turning point in the band's direction, just like when the old Dream Theater stopped being the old Dream Theater and started being the new Dream Theater; or Children of Bodom; or many others...

I'm just gonna wait to hear the new record and then see what the band has to say with regards to what they wanna do next, then I'll probably know for sure.

By the way, a band is a product. They have to sell themselves as well as their music. Why else would they bother with the promo shoots? Even touring is in a way selling themselves because people can see how great they are as performers - not just musically.

Yes, band is a product. But not the kind of product the customer can decide/choose what they want from the product. For example, if you order custom guitar, usually you are able to choose the parts and color and stuff for your preference. But for band like symphony x, I'm sure their priority is not to think what the fans expect from the music or how well it will sell. In this forum some of the people EXPECT certain things from the band, even it should be more like WISH certain things from the band.

I might be overly cynical (in fact I know I am), but I think the point of how well an album sells is exactly what the priority is. This is their job after all and they would be stupid not to ride the PL wave since it was their, by far, most selling album. It would be naive not to consider this at all, wouldn't it? I have stated before that PL is where they went most mainstream metal, in my opinion, and I stand fully by that. Goes without saying then that it would sell the most too. However, I don't think they would put out anything they truly were not happy with just to increase their fan base, they still stay true to what they love. But this is a business people, and once you find a formula that works, you stick to it. The trick is to find a balance between what sells and keeping your heart in it and I think they are still striking that very difficult banalce quite well. I look forward to the new album like crazy because I know I'm gonna love it regardless. PL is almost my least favourite but I still listen to it all the time simply because it is, for me, better than 90 percent of everything that is out there. I just WISH it was not such a cutthroat business where you have to try to keep your head above the water all the friggin' time, and I WISH they would give their old, faithful fans a glimpse of the old Symphony X now and then. I any case, I doubt they will ever stop being my favourite band. Not only are they truly the most talented bunch of musicians I have ever come across but they are also the nicest guys I have ever had the good fortune of meeting and I WISH they never, ever stop making music because my life would simply be worse for it.

Yes, band is a product. But not the kind of product the customer can decide/choose what they want from the product. For example, if you order custom guitar, usually you are able to choose the parts and color and stuff for your preference. But for band like symphony x, I'm sure their priority is not to think what the fans expect from the music or how well it will sell. In this forum some of the people EXPECT certain things from the band, even it should be more like WISH certain things from the band.

Ummm.....wrong. The customer does get to decide/choose by not buying the product. If this happens a band then needs to adjust to what the customer wants in order to sell and make a profit, or go get some other kind of job. Unless everyone in the band is fabulously wealthy and doesn't need to earn a paycheck it's always about the money.

Ummm.....wrong. The customer does get to decide/choose by not buying the product. If this happens a band then needs to adjust to what the customer wants in order to sell and make a profit, or go get some other kind of job. Unless everyone in the band is fabulously wealthy and doesn't need to earn a paycheck it's always about the money.

So if Iconoclast won't sell good. MJR comes to check this forum and goes like: "Oh they wanted less wanky solos, more clean vocals and more old symx style prog songs". And then goes to make the next album based on that info? :)

I've been talking about the fans demands over the band, not about the band making money.

So if Iconoclast won't sell good. MJR comes to check this forum and goes like: "Oh they wanted less wanky solos, more clean vocals and more old symx style prog songs". And then goes to make the next album based on that info? :)

I've been talking about the fans demands over the band, not about the band making money.

I hear you, but that's kind of the same thing, in a way. If the fans' demands aren't met and they quit buying the albums, or seeing them in concert (which, I believe, is where they really make their money), the end result is the same.

I'm sorry, but in absolutely no circumstance should a band ever sacrifice their creative integrity to appease their fanbase. Music is a form of art and as such is inherently subjective; if you don't like a song / album / band, don't listen to them. It is essential that everyone have their own opinion as well as an open forum to share it, but forcing arguments that are ultimately 'the product doesn't meet my specific needs / expectations so it's inferior' is immature and rather pathetic. Similarly, trying to apply traditional economic theory to your arguement doesn't make you appear any less stupid.

And for the record, I would think that most Progressive Metal band members have day jobs; they write music because they love it, not necessarily to improve their standard of living.

*chuckle* They wish!

Hmmm...Russel told me this after I specifically asked him this question. I was surprised when he said it but how would I know... Maybe he was talking about himself?:)

Besides, talking about the band, about anything that has to do with the band, kind of helps to keep them fresh in mind while waiting for the new album:)
It might serve two purposes:
1. to make the wait not seem as long and
2. to make their fans feel like a part of a community of people who share the same passion (even if we seldom agree on things:p But then again, what is a discussion forum for).

I started working for them around 2000 & they weren't all free of day jobs then.. it did come for the most part in time, but it sure wasn't 13 years ago.

Definitely didn't say anything about *not* talking about the band.. that's why we keep this place open. Chat it up! :)

I've seen Pinella at the guitar center in Edison working a couple times pretty recently ;)

one of my journalist friends who heard the album says that there's a doomy sabbath/candlemass like track on the record. can't wait to hear that :)

I started working for them around 2000 & they weren't all free of day jobs then.. it did come for the most part in time, but it sure wasn't 13 years ago.

Maybe he was drunk then hahaha :D
Otherwise the statement could possibly be attributed to his "advancing age" as someone on this forum mentioned earlier :lol:

By the way, I have always wondered and I haven't seen the answer to this before; what is your name and why are you "Jax"?:)

(Sorry for spamming a thread once again!)

TOYSM10-9475.jpg