Symphony X's new dark look

KISS is a metal band. If KISS came on stage wearing jeans and tee shirts it would effect EVERYONE'S experience seeing the band live. In fact, I may be so bold as to say a lot of people would be pissed off.

Kiss' costumes are just as much a part of their stage show as the pyro, blood spitting, and hydraulic platforms. The music is very average, IMO, but their stage show has played a part in making them the spectacle they are. Symphony X doesn't need any "schtick" to cover up a lack of musical talent
Comparing Kiss without costumes to Russ wearing jeans during a performace is like comparing apples & oranges.

I don't know why I keep letting mysef getting pulled into this, but I am bored, it's early in the day, and I haven't anything better to do right this minute....

Yeah, metal gigs are also often largely populated by morons who are more interested in punching each other and yelling SLAYER! than actually listening to the music. That type of attitude does NOT reflect what Symphony X is - but alas, those people show up regardless. Do you think when MJR wrote the intro to the Odyssey he said 'boy, I hope one day I get to see someone punch someone else while I play this - that's really what I'm aspiring to here, the note selection, phrasing, emotion, that's the easy part. Getting someone to punch someone else in a mosh pit - that's the REAL goal!'

Here's the differece here...you're judging this situation based on how Symphony X affects you and what you feel their appeal should be. I'm judging it based on how things actually are. Perhaps I wasn't clear before...obviously a SX show (at least not one I've been to) isn't as violent or whatever as a slayer concert or something. I've been to good deal of shows where you can't get within 50 feet of the stage without taking a few blows, and I usually avoid those shows like the plague. However, in terms of venues, audience, and music, Symphony X are more of a metal band than they are anything else and it shouldn't be a surprise that they are presented in that manner

Because it's unprofessional. It would be unprofessional for a symphony orchestra player to dress that way because of the attitude of the music. If Symphony X were a thrash metal band I would not care if they wanted to do the jeans and tee shirt thing. I'm fine with Megadeth, etc doing that. But just like I expect a symphony performer to be in formal wear to reflect the tone of his music, I expect Symphony X to be dressed appropriatly for their music. And guess what? Most of the time they are. But on Gigantour, Russ looked like an amature and it brings down the asthetic appeal of the event.

Again, Syphony X are a metal band with classical influences, not the other way around. They are a lot closer to Megadeth's end of the spectrum than the New York Philharmonic's.

How can you be so adamantly intent on them wearing whatever they want? Next thing you know you'll be saying that no band should ever dress up for a show, no more light shows or pyrotechnics, in fact, no more encores or entrance music either, that's all just part of the same catagory of useless details that have nothing to do with the music.

How you ask? Because the way they dress really doesn't affect my experience with music. If the band comes out in Halloween garb and makes fools of themselves then so be it. I go to a show on the premise of listening to music. If the visuals don't please me then that's ok, I might be disappointed with that but it's not going to stop me from enjoying the music. If I go out to the movies and get a chair with a broken armrest then yes, I will be slightly irritated, but I'm not going to dislike the movie because of it.

I'm not saying that the way a band uses appearance and all those things (light shows, pyro, etc.) don't matter in a live performance. I'm just saying that I don't see any problem whatsoever with the way the band does present themselves.

Blind people can't help that they are blind - it's not as if it is their CHOICE not to be able to see the concert. If you think that manner of viewing a concert is equally enjoyable, why not close your eyes the whole time at your next concert attendance?

I guess i wasn't clear or you just missed my point...which was that even without any visuals, being at a live concert is a much different experience than listening to a CD

I'm not sure you quite grasp the meaning of the word discretion, because this part of your reply doesn't make sense.

It's all about using your better judgement when it comes to these things. Wardrobe choice for a band (while does play a small role in a live setting) isn't nearly as much of an issue as you're making it, not even close.

It's always funny when someone has to go the route of 'it's not worth whining about on the internet'. It's a public forum for fans - that's ALL there is to do here. The only good reason to have a forum is for people to blab their opinions out and whine to one another. Personally, I think it makes it more interesting to read - at least its challenging and engaging. If you would prefer to just read down the myspace comments list of 'you guyz is da greatest' be my guest, but I'm not sure what value one can find in unmitigated ego stroking. It's 2am, I have time on my hands to blab out my opinion, whoopie. You responded in as much length and thought to my sentiments - wouldn't that make it a hypocritical arguement to say 'it's a waste of time to whine about that'? If you really feel that way I would say it's a waste of YOUR time to bother responding and if you REALLY wanted to live by that theory, you wouldn't have bothered taking the time. Lets just be real peope here and rather than play the 'I have better things to do with my life, and you clearly don't' game, address the real points of a debate (which you actually did in a few of your other responses here).

It wasn't the fact that you were whining that people responded to, it was what you were whining about.

Do you really NOT see the similarities between Symphony X and symphonic performers? Are you just going to ignore the fact that MJR lists as influences Bach, Beethoven, Stravinsky, etc.? Are you going to ignore all the classical pieces referenced in their music? Honestly, listen to the Odyssey and tell me if it more closely resembles The Rite of Spring or Black Sabbath. If you can't see the similarities there you're really missing what this band is about.

Like I said before, SX are a metal band with classical influences, not the other way around. If you can't see that, then you are really over glorifying the whole thing. I would list Brad Paisley as an influence on my playing(yep...there it is folks....just committed SX forum suicide), but I'm not going to do a gig with the metal band I'm in wearing a cowboy hat.

I will say that at least you bother to engage reasonably in the debate, unlike Zach. Putting someone on the 'ignore' list for having a dissenting opinion is ridiculously childish. Tauting the names on your ignore list is even more absurd. All that says is that you can't engage in a conversation like an adult. If you want to whittle the forum down to just seeing posts of "Symphony X is da best' carry on.

I don't know if that whole paragraph was intended at Zach or at everyone, but I'll at least speak for myself when I say that my response had nothing to do with me worshipping Symphony X or thinking they can do no wrong (because I really don't feel that way at all).

Also, with the KISS comment you made.....I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. KISS is more of an image than they are a band. The music, for them, has always come second to the performance. I think we can all agree that this isn't the case with SX.

At any rate, I'm not going to get into this anymore. We're all losing braincells here:erk:

when it comes to it, the bill says "symphony x" not "symphony x in tights."

as far as wardrobe goes for a show... if you wanna see flashy clothing, go see Cher, those type of pop singers change clothing after every other song.

As far as singing a song goes, the meaning and delivery of the song are not effected by any clothing other than if your underwear rides up in the middle of the chorus.

About Kiss dressing up... the only reason people would be disappointed if they didn't dress up iw because they have every damn show for 500 years.

about the idea that since the players in an orchestra all dress appropriately, so should SX... well the people in the orchestra likely arn't there to play their own music. they are representing someone else other than themselves so it is necessary to be formal.

symphony x on stage represent themselves, and since they know themselves better than anyone else, I think they know what they should be wearing, and it is no one elses right to say otherwise.

michael romeo most often wears shirts that have an air of classical style that goes with his classical background. If you have ever listened to Russ's Atomic Soul, he has a Bluesy-Rock so showing up for a gig in jeans and a T seems very appropriate to me.

SyXified said:
Do you think when MJR wrote the intro to the Odyssey he said 'boy, I hope one day I get to see someone punch someone else while I play this - that's really what I'm aspiring to here, the note selection, phrasing, emotion, that's the easy part. Getting someone to punch someone else in a mosh pit - that's the REAL goal!'

:lol:

Michael Romeo could come and out, do a shit on stage and then walk off and this forum would no doubt hail it as “the best shit ever made” with no negotiation allowed.

By the same logic, Mike Lepond may also win accolades with his epic shit that doubles Romeo's an octave lower.

I got nothing better to do so I read through the whole thread. Once in a while there were actually some smart comments like this one:
symphony x on stage represent themselves, and since they know themselves better than anyone else, I think they know what they should be wearing, and it is no one elses right to say otherwise.
That's true. I really wouldn't like people telling me how to dress when I perform live. I know the best how to represent myself. So does Symphony X.

There were a lot of stupid comments too... But I won't bother to quote any of them.

Arr, first post in the Symphony X forum :)

I agree with freedom of choice and as far as that's concerned, Symphony X can act and behave however they like, regardless if Russell Allen looks goofy when he air-picks along with Romeo, regardless of the fact that they sometimes look like scruffy unshaven pirates, regardless of whatever. The only important thing is that the music is still in tact and that it's still near flawless live to this day.

Yeah, metal gigs are also often largely populated by morons who are more interested in punching each other and yelling SLAYER! than actually listening to the music.

Too right... there was as much xhardcorex morons trying to crowdsurf, at Dragonforce, as there was at Slayer... I was in the 2nd 'row' in the pit for both of those concerts, and the morons were roughly balance (although a slight bit more at Slayer, no doubt). My money says if SymX come here, there will still be halfwits buying tickets so they can be t0t4l1y xh4rdxc0r3x!!111one. They probably would have never heard of them, or know their music, they just buy tickets to any band listed as metal/hardcore at 78s. Their loss though, and SymX still gets their money hahahahahaha... :lol: :kickass:

Putting someone on the 'ignore' list for having a dissenting opinion is ridiculously childish.

Agreed, but as you can see, I make light of the whole thing hahahaha :lol: ;)

Anyway, why the fuck does anyone care what they wear... I could give a fuck if SymX hit the stage wearing berets and tunics, or naked (although I'm sure some of the forum girlies would like that ;) hahahha). It's their music that counts at the end of the day. :kickass:

Last time I checked I was the one paying to see them perform and not the other way around. I don't dress up to attend a performance, but I sure as hell do when I am the one performing. A PERFORMANCE has a lot of things involved beyond just playing the music, including showmanship, crowd interaction, and, yes, even how you dress because you are presenting a total aural and visual package to the audience. Some of you people need to chill the hell out - you're not a martyr by saying "all I care about is the music, they can dress however they want". If you're so into JUST the music I'll go head to head with you on a music theory song analysis any day - or we can duel on the guitar. Better yet, if all you care about is the music, don't bother with the live performance - save your money and listen to the CDs again. What's pretentious is having that ridiculous elitist attitude where any time someone says somthing critical about a band the reaction is immediatly 'screw you, go cry about it, stop complaining, etc'. If you live in the real world, you know that presentation matters for a band, and being able to be critical shows discretion and taste. Saying "I'll like anything Symphony X releases" is the sign of an idiot - a choice to blindly like everything from any given band is moronic. Congrats on being the Paula Abdul of the message board.

Jeans + Tee shirt = Manowar style metal

Power Metal, which is supposed to be very theatrical and impressionistic, implies a different visual form.

Someone commented that they understand world-class musicians in a symphony dressing up, but not Symphony X. Symphony X ARE world-class musicians, and given their genre and style, should be conveying that image during performances. They know it - why else would they be dressed up for all their press photos? I'm not seeing any ripped jeans or band tee shirts there. If Prince or Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen came out in jeans and a tee shirt it would look ridiculous. You dress for your music during a live performance, and jeans + tee shirt is NOT condusive to Symphony X's music. If you guys want to remain on your high horse and say 'oh you're gay for caring about that stuff' go ahead. But if you bother to ask any successful band in any genre if apperance matters, they will tell you 100% yes.

Before I further address this literary diharea you call a post, WHERE did I say "I'll like anything Symphony X releases"? Better yet, what the hell does that phrase have to do with ANYTHING for that matter? Do me a favor and learn to read before you call other people idiots. Hello pot, meet the kettle.

The ONLY time where music requires a dress code is opera or classical music. Symphony X is a metal band, and the fact that you try to make them out into some kind of sophisticated, upscale act and not a rock band further makes you an idiot. Rock music is music made by people for the people. Genres that require a dress code are genres that were taylored to attract the wealthy and only the wealthy. Look up the origins of classical music and you would know that.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt that people would care if Yngwie or Prince came out in a shirt and jeans. Whether you want to hear it or not, in the world of rock music, it's the music that counts, not the image. We're not talking about some kind of upscale business for pretentious twats (and btw what you have implied in your previous posts is the EPITOME of pretentious, don't deny it.), we're talking about a genre that does not have a specific fanbase and cators to all people. There are bands who do utilize some kind of visual presentation, and many of them are indeed good. But in the long run, none of that shit matters. The real "Paula Abdul" is the kid who criticizes a band because of the way they dress. Presentation isn't and will NEVER be the entire package, it's only a small part of it.

Before I further address this literary diharea you call a post, WHERE did I say "I'll like anything Symphony X releases"? Better yet, what the hell does that phrase have to do with ANYTHING for that matter? Do me a favor and learn to read before you call other people idiots. Hello pot, meet the kettle.

The ONLY time where music requires a dress code is opera or classical music. Symphony X is a metal band, and the fact that you try to make them out into some kind of sophisticated, upscale act and not a rock band further makes you an idiot. Rock music is music made by people for the people. Genres that require a dress code are genres that were taylored to attract the wealthy and only the wealthy. Look up the origins of classical music and you would know that.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt that people would care if Yngwie or Prince came out in a shirt and jeans. Whether you want to hear it or not, in the world of rock music, it's the music that counts, not the image. We're not talking about some kind of upscale business for pretentious twats (and btw what you have implied in your previous posts is the EPITOME of pretentious, don't deny it.), we're talking about a genre that does not have a specific fanbase and cators to all people. There are bands who do utilize some kind of visual presentation, and many of them are indeed good. But in the long run, none of that shit matters. The real "Paula Abdul" is the kid who criticizes a band because of the way they dress. Presentation isn't and will NEVER be the entire package, it's only a small part of it.

I never said anything remotely resembling a notion that presentation is the entire package, or even a large part of it. All I've ever said is that it is part of the package, and if you bothered to actually read what I have said rather than just people's flippant responses over dramatizing it, you'll notice that. The original phrase was that 'it kindof pisses me off when...'. That's a very casual little observation, and it's right in tandem with the title and topic of the thread (which, btw, I did not start, I just responded to). The thread is 'Symphony X's new dark look' and every comment before mine had to do with their apperance. In fact, in direct reference to the 'new dark look', I stated that I LIKED the look they were going for with this album.

Rock and Metal are NOT the same genre

Are you really going to try to make the argument that in the world of rock it is the music that counts AS OPPOSED to classical music, where its about business and appearance? Congrats, you just made every classical musician who sat in a conservatory for years studying counterpoint while composing entire orchestral symphonies roll over in his grave - but you sure made the White Stripes pretty happy about the tunes they doubtless bang out overnight. Please, do mention to J.S. Bach that his ability to improvise fugues does not put him in the same league as Chicago.

And don't tell me to "look up" classical music. I have a BS in Music Industry, Summa Cum Laude, and I studied music history in great depth. You're the one making assumptions and speaking out of your ass about how classical music developed and how rock music developed - I actually know. Alone the fact that you are calling Symphony X a rock band shows exactly how much you know about music.

Meedley - my point in mentioning KISS is this:

You stated that you dress for the genre - and that Metal = tee-shirts and jeans for the dress code.

I'm giving you an example of METAL where the dress code is NOT tee-shirts and jeans. It's a very obvious example to make a point. The idea is not to draw a direct comparison between Symphony X and KISS. It is to refute your statement that ALL metal = tee-shirts and jeans, by providing a counter-example. In fact, if I wanted to paste in images of all the bands in the power/prog metal genre, for the large part you will notice 2 things:

1. Absence of tee-shirts and jeans (FOR THE MOST PART, NO ONE WASTE YOUR TIME FINDING THOSE RANDOM PHOTOS OF TEE SHIRTS AND JEANS, ITS NOT LIKE I DON'T KNOW THEY DO EXIST. If you look hard enough you can even find a hippie wearing a suit.) Gamma Ray, Nightwish, Angra, Blind Guardian, Malmsteen, on and on ALL of them dress to their music - and not in tee shirts and jeans.

2. Most prog/power metal bands dress in a very specific manner for their performances, very FEW prog/power metal bands have the 'let's just wear whatever the hell we want' attitude.

I'm not sure exactly how CLOSE to Symphony X you want me to get for you to understand the point. You say KISS is about theatrics and image and blah blah... even if I had used Dream Theater - the famed group of most Symphony X comparison (who, btw, have their own on stage clothing line), you would say the same thing 'well they're different in this way and that way so you can't make that comparison'. In the end, you can't make any comparsion, which certainly negates any sort of rhyme or reason to the statement that ALL metal = tee shirts and jeans.

I think where we are not seeing eye to eye here is that you percieve Symphony X as a metal band with some classical influences, and I percieve them more as a symphonic band with some metal influences. But whereas you insist I am seeing them wrong, I'd argue each view is as valid as the other, depending on what aspects of their music you herald more prominently. To me, the leap from Sabbath to Symphony X is MUCH further than the leap from Symphony X to say, Phantom of the Opera. I percieve their music as much closer to classical and theater than you do clearly. And honestly, an X crowd is usually split half and half - half the people mosh, half the people just want to stand there and listen and take it in (which is more reflective of a classical audience than a rock or metal audience). So for you then, tee-shirts and jeans may be appropriate, whereas I would find the MJR style button down frilled shirts and black pants more appropriate.

I never really thought I'd somehow be facing an arguement where someone was essentially saying 'don't OVER play Symphony X's role, they are just a metal band'. That's a very strange way of 'defending' the band from my wee fashion critique. Is the idea that X doesn't have to dress well BECAUSE they are just another beer swilling, redneck rock band, pluckin away the old blues progressions on their banjos? Sorry, I think they are classier than that, and should dress accordingly (which you'll notice was the entire premise of my first post). Music = classy so dress should = classy.

And I don't mean to open up a whole nother can of worms here - but for those tauting the 'only the quality of the musical performance matters' banner, I'll say that on Gigantour the quality of the performance was pretty poor musically. When I saw X with Blind Guardian I left saying 'that was the tightest, most cohesive live performance I have ever seen'. When I saw them on Gigantour they BUTCHERED the intro to Inferno, Russ's singing was all over the place pitch wise, and MJR messed up every solo he played. Sorry, that's what ACTUALLY happened - I was there, and being a performing musician myself, I notice these things. I went in excited and left disappointed. That doesn't mean I suddenly hate the band and instantly burned all my CDs. I know what it is like to have a bad gig, or even a bad series of gigs. But to me, the gigantour performances seemed slapped together musically (and it wasn't helping matters that they were dressed and looked like they had just rolled out of bed). I bet it was a last minute tour decision for them and that they were concentrating mostly on other things then and were not as rehearsed and in sync as they usually are. I'm still looking forward to the new album and new tour with great optomism.

That was a good post although I don't agree on some points.

My two cents: I'm kind of sensing that Symphony X wants to represent that they really are very down to earth guys and thus not keeping a strict dress code. I personally don't mind the way they dress, it's the music and the movement on the stage that attracts my senses (whenever I happen to look elsewhere than Romeo's fingers.) :lol:

SyXified, I understand where you're coming from when you say that it's unprofessional for them to wear jeans and a t-shirt during performances. I would totally agree with you if they were touring in support of Twilight in Olympus or Divine Wings, but I think they've been trying to embrace a heavier sound, and in listening to samples of PL, it would be absurd for them to wear leather pants and those shirts with all the ruffles on them during a performance. When I saw them tonight, Russ was the only one in jeans but he was wearing a collared shirt. I thought they were dressed appropriately.