Thank you Opeth

Deafmetal

Jun 19, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.edguy.nu
Just got back from the Corner Hotel gig, arghhhh what an awesome, awesome show. Im too tired to blab on, but just wanna say thanks a heap for making the time to come down here and performing an awesome set. I had a truly kick ass time... and im sure every other person lucky enough to have been a part of the filled venue thinks the same.

:headbang:

Reactions: Jo
I totally agree with deafmetal there.. was at the Corner Hotel gig too and it was a fucking spiritual experience, we left the place with goosebumps and just looking at each other going faaaaaaarrk. Really great vibe with everyone there and the band were great, Mik was a bit of a funny fucker as well :) ... one of the top gigs i've been to so far out of all the bands i've gone to see. Thanx Opeth.. Can't wait for DAMNATION TOUR MANAGEMENT WILL GET THOSE DEMANDING EMAILS LOL!!!!!!

Amazing gig. Talking to people afterwards, we were speechless and had great difficulty in finding adjectives to decribe the experience. I had very high expectations of Opeth as a live band and yet they managed to exceed them. Can't wait for the Sydney show... hoping for Forest of October there!!

what can i say?? Opeth were amazing!they totally lived up to my expectations too and bettered them! They were unbelievable, sounded amazing, were perfect, was like listening to their cd live! they were sensational!! It was definitely a night i wont forget! The guys were really cool too! esp Peter..he was a sweet guy! :)

How does Mikael do it???? I dont know how someone with his vocal techniques can sing 6 nights in a row and pull it off 100% !! He truely is talented and has a gift :Spin:

Come back again Opeth..u ruled!! BIG THANK U x

The Drapery Falls was the best live version of any song I've ever heard. I was absolutely amazed!!

By the way, who was wearing the Dream Theater SDOIT short-sleeve t-shirt? At one stage they were standing on the small stage near me, and I wanted to say g'day but by that time he'd left.

Great gig, and they did indeed sound just like on their albums. Great stuff! Here's hoping they do end up returning for the Damnation tour. Anyone know their management's email address?

Bombard them!

They'll definately come back... even without prodding. Mikael said himself how happy he was with the tour, and assuming Damnation sales aren't absolutely shithouse, they should come back.

What I want to bombard the management about is making it an Opeth/Porcupine Tree tour. BONARS!!

someone who went to the melbourne gig tell us the setlist..
was it any different to the brissie one??

thanx in advance...

hurry im leaving for the sydney gig in 1 hour!!!

I flew up from Tassie and it was definitely worth it. They did advent REALLY well, and Deliverance was absolutely awsume because the riffs were so powerfull. My only dissapointment was that they didn't play The Moor or Moonlapse vertigo. Mikael seemed like a dude and it was obvious how much he appreciated the fans, he looked like he was having the time of his life up there which made it a much better experience for everyone else.

As fucking great as the gig was, I was surprised to hear Mikael say that they reckoned it was one of their top 5 gigs ever? Surely they get bigger and more rabid crowds overseas? Mind you, the gig should've been somewhere bigger, there were still so many people who were unable to get a ticket on top of the 850 or so people already there. Or perhaps another show, or whatever, anyway...

Chow Mai Dong said:
As fucking great as the gig was, I was surprised to hear Mikael say that they reckoned it was one of their top 5 gigs ever? Surely they get bigger and more rabid crowds overseas? Mind you, the gig should've been somewhere bigger, there were still so many people who were unable to get a ticket on top of the 850 or so people already there. Or perhaps another show, or whatever, anyway...

I totally agree with you...i wish they played somewhere bigger..i know a couple of people that missed out on tickets and Im sure we all know someone that missed out..they should of even had 2 shows here! I really think they would of sold out two nites in a row! I would of seen them twice for sure!

I have seen a lot of o/s bands but i have to say that Opeth are def. one of the best bands i have ever seen live..they are perfect live! they are very professional and talented! I just hope they come back soon

Now that they've been here already, and word of mouth will be working over-time, I reckon next time they could sell out 2 nights at 1200 tickets each night. Well, maybe not in the smaller cities, but in Sydney and Melbourne definately. One big show would be awesome, but I personally would rather two small shows to go to. :D

Plus, Damnation might get some good promotion due to it's promote-ability... which results in more popularity, which results in more tickets sold.

I also flew from Tassie to Melbourne and would make the trip again in an instant - what a show! I was in the second row for most of the show which was brilliant, though I am now battered and bruised from the surge of the crowd towards the stage and people bashing into my head etc :) I could name heaps of songs that I really wished they had played (I'm sure none of us wanted them to stop playing at all!) but was just so impressed with the performance they gave that my only complaint would be that the promoters could have chosen a better venue. Hopefully next time. After seeing Opeth live, I really hope they will release a live album/video sometime in the future - definitely an experience to relive over and over.

simonc2 said:
I flew up from Tassie and it was definitely worth it. They did advent REALLY well, and Deliverance was absolutely awsume because the riffs were so powerfull. My only dissapointment was that they didn't play The Moor or Moonlapse vertigo. Mikael seemed like a dude and it was obvious how much he appreciated the fans, he looked like he was having the time of his life up there which made it a much better experience for everyone else.

Wow Opeth rocked the Aussies, cool..Glad Opeth are doing well there..I'm thinking about traveling to see Opeth at the New England Metal Fest here in the USA wich entails a loong bus trip and of course I can't afford to and can't get a hotel.. So I'm going up there for one day of the fest just to see Opeth and an assload of other bands..This will be fun..And I'm sure to hook up with freinds there..-l-