The "Are These Guys Any Good" Thread

Opeth17 said:
Destroyer 666 rules. Still need to hear Unchain the Wolves, which I think many may consider to be their best.
Favorite band ever. Unchain the Wolves is a bit different from the other releases... it has a much slower feel... amost feels like nothing is happening for ages at the beginning of the CD. It grows on you, and eventualy kicks huge amounts of arse. Still looking for a fucking vinyl of it though...

Be careful. I listened to a bunch of mp3's from the Willowtip site, and also a bunch of songs from some samplers I have. It's fast, with super-guttural vocals. I went through a minor grind phase, buying Rune, Kalibas, Brutal Truth, Pig Destroyer, Nasum, etc. The only ones I still listen to are Brutal Truth, the Rune album, and occasionally PD.

Before getting CoDC, get Scald, PD and Brutal Truth, and early Carcass if you want grind.

Circle Of Dead Children aren't really similar to Pig Destroyer, Brutal Truth or Carcass at all. They're heavily influenced by brutal death metal, and sounds more like Disgorge or Brodequin playing even faster, with a slightly grindier feel. The other three bands draw influences mainly from hardcore. I'd recommend CoDC, but bear in mind that I'm a huge fan of brutal DM such as Brodequin, Disgorge, Liturgy, Sepsism, etc.

Yes, yes. Good point. I just figured he might be going for some grindier bands, and wanted to point out that there are much better ones. If he's going for the ultra brutal death metal, then CoDC might be a good thing.

If he wants super guttural vocals, go with Demilich.

Demilich are great and extremely easy to check out since all their shit is currently free: http://demilich.doesntexist.com/

Also I'm starting to recommend Scald (Ireland) to anyone looking for grind/death with oodles of atmosphere. Incredible stuff.