The Books/Reading Thread

Just started reading Metalion-The Slayer Mag Diaries,holy shit this book is beautiful and massive,it's gonna take me the rest of the year to get through this one,really looking forward to checking out some of the old Slayer Mag stuff that I don't have but am really looking forward to reading about Jon Kristiansen's lifelong obsession with metal.Apparently this book sheds a more realistic light on the infamous Norwegian events compared to the Moynihan book.

Still working through George R.R. Martin's mammoth fucking A Dance With Dragons. I'm not as into this series as I used to be, although I have a feeling that Martin is using this book to move several different chess pieces into place in preparation for a massive battle. Which will be epic. Regardless, however, it is moving rather slowly.

Can't wait to get into this. I read the first twenty-five pages and I'm psyched:

pattern_recognition.jpg

Pattern Recognition was fantastic; my first experience with a Gibson novel, and it delivered entirely. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good thriller, but also those interested in contemporary culture, especially its technological/globalist aspects.

Now I'm getting into China Mieville's newest, which I've heard is utterly fantastic.

EmbassytownChinaMieville-thumb-330x501-54788.jpg

Not sure what to think of William Gibson. I have only read Neuromancer but it didn't really engage me and it is said to be his masterwork. I think most other "must read" sci-fi writers are alot better. Maybe I need to give him another try?

Pattern Recognition is my first brush with Gibson's work, and I've heard from multiple sources that it's his most accessible and engaging book. I can't compare it to others, but I can say that I agree about it being accessible and very engaging (but it also appeals to my 20th-century theory tastes).

Furthermore, I wouldn't count it as "sci-fi," and would instead call it a work of speculative post-9/11 fiction. There is only one element of the story that is mildly science fiction (the protagonist's "reaction" to trademarks), and it is dealt with so naturally that it ceases to be all that far-fetched (in my opinion). More importantly than any science fiction ties the book might have, it's its commentary on contemporary culture that is truly its central focus, and the most gripping aspect of the book in general.

I'm planning on reading Neuromancer, although I've been warned that it's a trip.

EDIT: by "20th-century theory" I just mean that the book actually name-drops several 20th century French theorists whom I am fond of and familiar with, so that aspect of the book appeals to me personally. I would still recommend it to anyone interested in poignant cultural criticism wrapped up in the form of a politico-economic suspense thriller.

Sci-fi fans, what's the consensus on M. John Harrison? I recently ordered his book Light, of which I've read mixed user reviews; but several writers I love (Mieville, Gaiman, Clive Barker) have touted this guy as a great, fresh voice in the genre.

Is anyone else familiar with his work?

I've never read any of Robinson's work, but I've heard good things. A few books of theory that I've read actually mention her material and analyze it to some extent.

Welcome back, by the way. :cool:

I read two books while on holiday; Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut, and All Fun And Games Until Somebody Loses An Eye by Christopher Brookmyre. Both were good holiday reads.

My favorite Vonnegut books are Slaughterhouse-Five and The Sirens of Titan. The latter is deliciously "Dick-ish" (i.e. reminds me a lot of Philip K. Dick).