The Books/Reading Thread

Is there a free copy of Maelstrom as well?

Edit: So far Thus Spoke is the only book by Nietzsche I haven't enjoyed. I didn't even bother finishing it it.

I found this for 6 dollars. Apparently it's pretty good in the fantasy genre

200px-WoT01_TheEyeOfTheWorld.jpg

It's decent, for high fantasy. It's the novel that reinvigorated popular fantasy, so it's important in that regard.

I only read the first three books in that series; if you're intent on finishing the whole thing, be prepared to weather a fucking redundant storm, from what I've heard...

Nice. Hope you get into that series more than I did. I may have to revisit it someday.

I had a nice haul at one of my local bookstores yesterday; all used books, all under $10:

David Mitchell's Ghostwritten
tumblr_mc5d9e8n4q1qd9a66o1_400.jpg

David Edmond and John Eidinow's Wittgenstein's Poker
9780060936648.jpg

Jacques Derrida's Dissemination
41HJ88SDNXL.jpg

Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels's The German Ideology
germanideology.jpg

Jean Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation
150px-Simulacra_and_Simulation_.jpg

Finally finished the Republic and holy shit: Almost verbatim verses in the New Testament within book Ten. Paul is a fucking plagiarizer.

Edit: Now reading Freud's Psychoanalysis of Dreams

So Amazon has this deal on the first 4 books in the Game of Thrones series. You can get em all on paperback for $20. Mine arrived in the mail a couple days ago, and I've had a hard time putting A Game of Thrones down. There's something to be said for how easily Martin changes his language to suit the limitations he's placed on his third person narrative, and the chapters are all a very appropriate length to keep you hooked.

So Amazon has this deal on the first 4 books in the Game of Thrones series. You can get em all on paperback for $20. Mine arrived in the mail a couple days ago, and I've had a hard time putting A Game of Thrones down. There's something to be said for how easily Martin changes his language to suit the limitations he's placed on his third person narrative, and the chapters are all a very appropriate length to keep you hooked.

Most definitely. Martin just creates a slew of interesting characters that are morally ambiguous and you constantly want to see what will happen to them, so you keep reading.

So I put down AntiOedipus and Dreams due to the lack of a quiet place for uninterrupted reading for now. Going to pick them up again as soon as conditions allow. Now reading some Mencken.