The Books/Reading Thread

I'm halfway through "In Defense of Women", and although slightly out of touch with the times (it's almost 100 years old), it's lightyears of ahead of contemporary constructs on the opposite sex.

He's talking about the limitations that Martin places on the third-person narrative. He's talking about the use of POV chapters, which is a version of third-person limited; it's actually rather close to first-person. It still uses the pronouns "he" or "she," but it restricts itself to that character's perspective.

I just finished Atlas Shrugged and Anthem a couple days ago.

Atlas Shrugged I thought got way too verbose. Rand spent more time describing the outfits of one of the characters than she spent describing the way the USA was descending into chaos towards the end. The rest was just overly-detailed descriptions of things, or creating paragraph-sized run-on sentences that repeat a single idea with more metaphors, similes, and supporting points that are required to understand it. However, the times her writing style was not over-the-top, it created a lot of entertaining depth in otherwise ordinary situations, and even more depth in the others.

As for the philosophy, I agreed with pretty much all of it, but I think the political ideals she represents in the characters are unrealistic. The businessmen only get ahead by having better products, and the government just makes up irrational bullshit and fucks up all the time. The plot was predictable, but I found it a very engaging read with some good lessons. I thought the ending sucked, though.

Anthem was not verbose at all, and I found it kind of disturbing at first, but very thought-provoking overall.

Now I'm going to start reading Mother Nature by Sarah Hrdy. It's about the role of maternal instincts in human evolution. I'd been putting off my reading about human evolution for the past few months, so this is my return into it.

Got a Kindle Paperwhite, started picking up some stuff. Here's my current list:

1) Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
2) Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar
3) Denis Johnson - Jesus' Son
4) George Saunders - CivilWarLand in Bad Decline
5) Ernest Hemingway - The Complete Short Stories

Any suggestions on others that might go along in the same line? I've got my eye on Harlan Ellison but I don't know his work enough to pick one.

@Jimmy: Mencken says the average woman is better than the average man [by leaps and bounds] (paraphrase).

I doubt that lines up well with your views lol.

I don't know dude, I mean, the average Dude in America just takes shit from Women on a level that just makes them pathetic. In this respect Men are deplorable.

and don't take anything I say seriously in the M & F thread, half the time I'm drunk, trolling and playing devils advocate in an attempt to work out my own demons (bias, misconceptions, fallacies etc)

Got a Kindle Paperwhite, started picking up some stuff. Here's my current list:

1) Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
2) Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar
3) Denis Johnson - Jesus' Son
4) George Saunders - CivilWarLand in Bad Decline
5) Ernest Hemingway - The Complete Short Stories

Any suggestions on others that might go along in the same line? I've got my eye on Harlan Ellison but I don't know his work enough to pick one.

That's a good list. I've only read Ellison's short fiction, but I have his collection I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. It's very good, although terrifying stuff.

@Jimmy: Mencken says the average woman is better than the average man [by leaps and bounds] (paraphrase).

I doubt that lines up well with your views lol.

I don't know dude, I mean, the average Dude in America just takes shit from Women on a level that just makes them pathetic. In this respect Men are deplorable.

Is this serious? Why bother writing over whether men or women are "better"? And what the fuck does "better" even mean? I can't stand shit like that, especially after the mid-19th century. Unless this is Mencken somehow being satirical, of course...

In all honesty, men writing about the status of women is practically worthless. It's much more helpful to read actual women; de Beauvoir, Hannah Arendt, Judith Butler, Donna Haraway, etc. I'm sure Mencken is an invaluable writer, but when it comes to the status of women and politics of feminism, I don't buy much that any man has ever had to say.

All I'm saying is that today, in our culture, Women are taking Mens balls away and then asking why they're not being Men. It's the decline of the "masculine male" or at least the symbolic castration of him.

That sounds like a very specific minority class of women, if I'm being honest. Probably a good deal of it is perpetuated by popular television, but I don't think most women are like that at all.

I'm also nervous about what exactly the socio-political position of such a view is... and by that I mean: I feel that view may be slightly misogynistic. Women have had their "balls broken" by men - socially, economically, and politically - for much longer than men possibly have by women, since the advent of the recent feminine angst. I think that it might possibly be a reaction to feminine authority that perceives it as "breaking men's balls."

I'm not calling you misogynistic, just to be clear.

I made a massive book haul. Fucking 25 cents each. Why the fuck not?

1209214_10201049730622826_613210689_n.jpg

That sounds like a very specific minority class of women, if I'm being honest. Probably a good deal of it is perpetuated by popular television, but I don't think most women are like that at all.

I'm also nervous about what exactly the socio-political position of such a view is... and by that I mean: I feel that view may be slightly misogynistic. Women have had their "balls broken" by men - socially, economically, and politically - for much longer than men possibly have by women, since the advent of the recent feminine angst. I think that it might possibly be a reaction to feminine authority that perceives it as "breaking men's balls."

I'm not calling you misogynistic, just to be clear.

I disagree. I think It's everywhere. This I feel is the problem. It's like when I hear black people talk about reparations or the use of the word my pals (who can or can't say it). I had nothing to to with it, it dies with the people and culture that perpetuated it (as far as the individual goes, socially it's a different story). You know the saying - two wrongs don't make a right - So Women were treated badly therefore I can't call a woman a cunt without possibly being hit (reverse this btw and I go to jail) and/or socially ostracized for using a "bad word", or make a joke about rape within the context of the joke itself without hearing how I'm a misogynist pig and condone "rape culture". This part of the culture wants to control your language and limit your freedom.

Overall, I hear ya. I'm not saying I can't be wrong here either. This is just how I (a white man/ lower middle class) perceive things.

If ya want to continue this I'll see ya in the Dak-shit thread. I don;t want to destroy the book thread.