The Books/Reading Thread

I just received The Number and the Siren two days ago, and I already read about thirty pages of it. He opens with historical exposition, which is incredibly interesting in and of itself.

After Finitude is so addicting! When I started reading that book I couldn't believe how accessible and enthralling it was. I haven't read many theory texts as engaging as Meillassoux's books. It's a good sign if theory is swinging back around from obscurantism to semantic clarity.

Yeah, I had no idea how short it was, either. Truth be told, the style is quite analytic, particularly in the way he's fond of multiple concrete examples to supplement a theoretical notion. It really is quite accessible, which I find amusing given how impenetrable Badiou is at first.

Aha! Late Christmas gift. For those interested in weird fiction, this is the new wave:

cyclolargecover.jpg

will have to check that last one out. I just ordered some books from Amazon and am waiting for them to come in. In the meantime I'm reading All the Pretty Horses by McCarthy and am about halfway through it

Heh, I was talking about the book Pat posted. I do need to finally get around to McCarthy, though. I'm planning on ordering Blood Meridian and The Road in the next few weeks. I think this is the first time I've made a conscious effort to read a lot of fiction since my junior year of high school, to be honest.

I've never read All the Pretty Horses specifically because I've heard it's "Cormac McCarthy lite." I'm sure I would enjoy it, but it's just not top priority. I consider myself something of a student of McCarthy; I've read Outer Dark, Child of God, Suttree, Blood Meridian, No Country For Old Men, and The Road. His work is utterly fantastic, and his prose is mesmerizing.

Blood Meridian is essential reading for any serious student of literature, especially American literature. And The Road is great as well, although far more sentimental than most McCarthy novels, despite being almost unbearably heartbreaking. I'm planning on teaching it as the final work in my class this semester.

I finally own The Hobbit and a one volume edition of Lord of the Rings. I need to start reading them, but I still have three books I'm reading and want to finish one more before I start.

Sigh

finished All the Pretty Horses yesterday and really liked it. It was definitely more enjoyable than Child of God. Of the five McCarthy novels I've now read, this probably ranks number 3. The prose is just beautiful.

Started reading John Williams's Stoner today, which I think Ein and Zeph may be interested in. Here's the description from Amazon:

William Stoner is born at the end of the nineteenth century into a dirt-poor Missouri farming family. Sent to the state university to study agronomy, he instead falls in love with English literature and embraces a scholar’s life, so different from the hardscrabble existence he has known. And yet as the years pass, Stoner encounters a succession of disappointments: marriage into a “proper” family estranges him from his parents; his career is stymied; his wife and daughter turn coldly away from him; a transforming experience of new love ends under threat of scandal. Driven ever deeper within himself, Stoner rediscovers the stoic silence of his forebears and confronts an essential solitude.

One of the master's students from my program raves about that book; says it's one of his favorites. From what I've read, I think I would enjoy it.

Well, I suppose it had to happen eventually. I'm starting this behemoth:

giddings_bh1.jpg

Wish me luck.

Been rereading Weaveworld by Clive Barker, although its taking awhile because I do most of my reading in the bathroom nowadays.

I actually haven't even heard of that one, I'll keep an eye out. I have a collection of his short stories, Weaveworld, and Coldheart Canyon. Another I haven't checked out, the Hellraiser series, despite being obsessed with the movies as a kid. I just never see them at the bookstore. Gotta warm up to the idea of internet purchases.

Gotta say The Midnight Meat Train is my favorite Barker short story. I have heard there's a movie.

So excited, just got my copy of this in the mail:

Men_space.jpg

I've read McCarthy's first book, Remainder, and it's spectacular. For those interested in contemporary avant-garde surrealism, you should read this book.