The Books/Reading Thread

Found very nice copies of The God Delusion and Hamlet at a second-hand store yesterday on my commute home from work.
Especially happy with the copy of Hamlet, it features illustrations by W.G. Simmonds and it's in beautiful condition.

metkmk7hmNCxUAubygt--LQ.jpg

Reactions: requiem
I finished Siddhartha and now I'm finishing Light in August. I don't know what to say about this one yet. The plot has been unfolding for a really long time but it started to keep me interested at last.

I recently bought the first three Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser books, Swords and Deviltry, Swords Against Death and Swords in the Mist by Fritz Lieber because of a friend's recommendation.

Reactions: CiG
I finished reading the Troy Soos mystery novel Murder at Fenway Park last night.
I did a book report on Murder at Wrigley Field when I was in grade school, probably shortly after it came out. Not to suggest these are kids/YA books, but there's no reason a smart kid couldn't or shouldn't read them. This one was set during WWI and it mainly centered around the anti-German/anti-Irish sentiment in America during those years. I recall really liking it at the time, but couldn't say if it holds up at all. There's just a lot of detective fiction out there.

For baseball fans, The Art of Fielding is a must-read.

I did a book report on Murder at Wrigley Field when I was in grade school, probably shortly after it came out. Not to suggest these are kids/YA books, but there's no reason a smart kid couldn't or shouldn't read them. This one was set during WWI and it mainly centered around the anti-German/anti-Irish sentiment in America during those years. I recall really liking it at the time, but couldn't say if it holds up at all. There's just a lot of detective fiction out there

My sister gave me the book as a Xmas gift because of my love of detective fiction and sports.

There is a lot of detective / thriller fiction out there and it is impossible to catch everything. I partially rely on Mystery Scene magazine, Suspense magazine and The Big Thrill magazine to help flesh out my own list.

I also get a few advance reading copies from a publisher and take some advice from other authors and critics I read.

I finished Swords and Deviltry and I liked it quite a bit. I'll be on to Swords Against Death soon.

I really enjoyed the writing style and the characters are quite memorable.

So I gave him a list of books by Bukowski, John Fante, Roald Dahl, etc. By the end of the semester he had read 3.5 books cover to cover.

How can you read half a book cover to cover? But yeah, I do agree with you, people reading books of dubious intellectual value is better than not at all. I read a lot of comics for instance hahaha.

Yeah sorry about that - I didn't see the earlier clarification. I guess you could say I read this thread cover to cover except for the last few posts....

Reactions: unknown
@unknown, I've just read Light in August and I'm quite satisfied. I didn't expect a groundbreaking piece of art and it turned out to be appropriate book. Christmas was hell of a jerk tho. Still, I'm quite insatiable when it comes to Faulkner and after finishing The Plague I'd like to take up Faulkner again. I'm beckoned by Absalom, Absalom! but I'm not sure whether it's not too early for me to get into such difficult (under the term of the number of characters) book.

Reactions: unknown
Brian Froud pretty much became famous for his art on gnomes,faerie,trolls etc and designed the creatures in The Dark Crystal
, Labyrinth(I think) and created Yoda but hi books Gnomes and Faeries are where he started, they're around 35 years old and still the benchmark, beautiful art and well researched writing(based on folklore)as well.image.jpeg
Edit: Brian Froud didn't do the Gnomes book that was Will Huygen, he only did the intro for that book.

Last edited: