The Books/Reading Thread

The Three Languages of Politics by Arnold Kling. Small book, barely over 100 pages. Reasonably simplified synopsis of the difficulty in engaging in political discourse across political languages. Lots of references to authors I've either read (Haidt, Kahneman) or authors I am familiar with (Cowen, Sowell, Nisbet).

decameron.jpg

My review of the Stephanie Gayle novel Idyll Fears is being printed in Mystery Scene magazine. You can check out the review online HERE!

My review of the Adam Sternbergh novel The Blinds is being printed in Mystery Scene magazine. You can check out the review online HERE!

220px-The_vision_of_the_annointed_bookcover.jpg

Generally speaking, if the names/dates/places were changed, it could have been written in 2015 instead of 1995. One thing I thought was interesting is that Sowell appeals to "systemic" explanations for inequalities while pointing out the Anointed ones at the time asserted intent. Now the Anointed make the same policy prescriptions but appeal to systemic explanations - which they still assume they understand, while Sowell pointed out that no one can grasp the entirety of the system (and that the Anointed repeatedly fail to understand opportunity cost).

Are they the same people that simultaneously want to dismantle and do away with said system?

Because I have a feeling that's the underlying point, that people want to meddle or even destroy something which they can't even fully grasp to begin with.

Certainly not! Jean-François Lyotard, Jean Baudrillard, Louis Althusser, all those Frenchies who declared so frustratingly that the global system is a mass of complications we can't possibly understand... none of them attended the protests of May 1968. None of them believed in the efficacy of popular revolution. They were resigned to a less destructive view of things, which alienated them from a lot of young academics at that time.

Despite the involvement of many of his students in the protests of May 1968, Althusser initially greeted these developments with silence. Later, he expressed an opinion similar to the official PCF line, describing the students as victim to "infantile" leftism. As a result, Althusser was attacked by many former supporters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Althusser#De-Stalinisation

Reactions: CiG
This happens to be one of the reasons why I get frustrated at right-wing diatribes against the Frankfurt School and subsequent academic leftisms (like TB enjoys posting). If anything, the Frankfurt School marks the point at which leftism actually began moving away from serious attitudes toward revolutionary praxis. Since the Bolsheviks, revolution hasn't been the intelligentsia's preferred mode of communiqué.

I've never paid much attention to the intelligentsia when it comes to topics like this, not because they don't have important things to say but because often they don't represent the actual bodies that make up any movement or ideology.

It's sort of like assuming film critics represent the general viewing audience.

Obviously those "Frenchies" had pedagogical difficulties if a frequent result of exposure to their ideas, even if indirect, is said "infantile" leftism.

Keep my name out of your brainwashed commie loving mouth.

If anything, the Frankfurt School marks the point at which leftism actually began moving away from serious attitudes toward revolutionary praxis.
:lol: Destroys himself in his own post and proves me right once again(about who you are)

Last edited:
I just finished ` Two towns in Provence` by MFK Fisher. It is a travel / food journal written in Aix-en-Provence and Marseille. I enjoyed it beginning to end. I enjoy reading about how peoples lives were in the past. ( I spent a month reading this book ).
I bet that Gulag book, above, is a great read, I have read about the Labour camp system they had and it is interesting.

Can anybody recommend to me the best Star Wars book to read?

Outside of the novelization of the original trilogy (whether you like them or not, I am just trying to avoid recommendations that are too obvious).

I read a book called, if I remember, `Splinter of the minds eye` a long time ago ( in a Galaxy far away :yuk:), and remember it as being enjoyable escapism.