The Books/Reading Thread

Never read Hamsun, but I'd like to get to him someday. I attended a symposium entirely on Karl Ove's My Struggle a few months back and Hamsun came up a few times. Both authors seem worth visiting.

Went to a used bookstore in my old hometown and picked up a few goodies.

Already own this one, but picked it up because it's a 25-anniversary edition with an introduction by Richard Powers (for $5, why not):

20101015-freedom-jonathan-franzen-reading-list-7-600x411.jpg

And speaking of Richard Powers...

PDx-e1389408425522.jpg

Found this, which will be handy for fleshing out the final draft of my dissertation:

7c52c935a1f8128f8dfe285ce667cf33-w204@1x.jpg

And finally, a classic work of literary theory:

9780300018509.jpg

Reactions: Doomguy
White Noise is on my 'to re-read' list along with like 15 others

What I'm currently reading:

29570801.jpg

182136.jpg

3950045.jpg

What I've completed this year:

13572289.jpg

28695962.jpg

(free with my Prime account so I figured why not?)

28700668.jpg

1032.jpg

7349.jpg

Full trilogy in one volume

White Noise is on my 'to re-read' list along with like 15 others

May I suggest ditching The Art of the Deal and replacing it with White Noise? :D

Actually, I'm not saying that out of dislike for Trump. I've read The Art of the Deal. It's an exercise in self-indulgence disguised as a "how to be successful" book. A crucial element of being successful like Trump is knowing the right people. I believe he mentions that on more than one occasion--"You have to know the right people." As though this is somehow an achievement for a man whose father was a notable figure in the community. It's pretty funny.

s-l300.jpg

Finished this as a summer reading project (Really involved like a few hours over 2 days of focused reading). Was a nice counter to more conspiracyish stuff I had read some years ago (Don't let the title fool you). Next on the list: The Tipping Point.

s-l300.jpg

Finished this as a summer reading project (Really involved like a few hours over 2 days of focused reading). Was a nice counter to more conspiracyish stuff I had read some years ago (Don't let the title fool you). Next on the list: The Tipping Point.

Is this for research, or personal interest (can be both, of course).

Is this for research, or personal interest (can be both, of course).

Mostly personal interest. I had stumbled on it working on a class paper about military psychology and ethics but didn't have the time at the time to read and incorporate it. I started it earlier in the summer and suddenly realized I was running out of time and forced myself to sit with it for a few hours and finish it.

Reactions: Einherjar86
Shit, I want to read that Swedish DM book Ozz posted now. I read Lords of Chaos a few months ago and found it to be very over-hyped and mediocre.

EDIT: I've also read recently

crime_and_punishment_by_fyodor_dostoevsky.jpg

Snuff.jpg

A.D.-Hope-Cover.png

81Q1Fns0DwL.jpg

Shit, I want to read that Swedish DM book Ozz posted now. I read Lords of Chaos a few months ago and found it to be very over-hyped and mediocre.

It probably doesn't contain anything that all the old timers didn't already know (ones that have been listening to death metal since that scene existed), but I figured I should give it a read since I'm into the genre.

I have the original and expanded version of Lords of Chaos and I want to read it again only because I don't remember most of it anymore....I read it like 15 years ago.

Damn, some heavy material there (@Raoul Duke). Good stuff though.

I've yet to read any Palahniuk, although he's been recommended to me multiple times. He strikes me as a kind of godchild of J.G. Ballard, Kathy Acker, and Bret Easton Ellis, which leads me to believe I'd appreciate his work while simultaneously finding it a bit hackneyed. Might give him a try someday.

Sat down and read The Tipping Point this morning. Pretty easy read, but I think it could have easily been 1/2-1/3 shorter and still get the same point across thanks to a serious amount of repetition. That said, one of the points in the book was that children, at a minimum, learn better via repetition. So maybe he's just putting that insight to work on the average public. I will say I'm glad I picked it up for free because I feel that the jacket price of $15 wouldn't have been worth it.

Can anybody recommend to me the best Star Wars book to read?

Outside of the novelization of the original trilogy (whether you like them or not, I am just trying to avoid recommendations that are too obvious).

Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy was cool but it's not canon anymore I guess. The other ones I've read range from decent to terrible.