The Books/Reading Thread

Currently reading
the_satanic_verses.jpg

and
51mDi8uvX1L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Both are rollicking good reads, in different (and partly similar) ways.

Reactions: Doomguy and CiG
Only Beat book worth reading anymore, in my opinion. Some fucked up shit in there. Also found a way to express the modern control society when neither Ginsberg nor Kerouac could.

Here's his lecture on the novel:

He delves into a lot of history about the novel, but I think it's a great lecture. He really knows his shit about realism, modernism, and the contemporary novel.

Only 7 months later....yeah man that is a great lecture and a very interesting debate. Lots of terrific ideas and commentary from the other writers also. l just purchased Railsea which looks interesting but, l have started to read Limbo by Bernard Wolfe, so China' gonna have to wait. cheers for the link

I'm not very familiar with Ralph Ellison but I do enjoy James Baldwin even if I do not share his worldview broadly speaking.

I'm actually re-reading all the books I own by him (not that many unfortunately) because I'm writing and am looking for some inspiration of a certain brand.

(Also just about to re-watch Dark City for the same reason.)

I'm not very familiar with Ralph Ellison but I do enjoy James Baldwin even if I do not share his worldview broadly speaking.

I'm actually re-reading all the books I own by him (not that many unfortunately) because I'm writing and am looking for some inspiration of a certain brand.

(Also just about to re-watch Dark City for the same reason.)

Haha, Baldwin and Dark City. My mind is jumping to conclusions...

Reactions: CiG
Dune_Herbert.jpg

I really enjoyed this, I've always liked science fiction but seem to have shelved this one for a while inexplicably. Which sequels are worth reading if not all five? Probably won't get around to seeing the David Lynch adaptation, which is apparently bollocks.

Reactions: CiG