The Books/Reading Thread

Took advantage of a flight to finish Thinking Fast and Slow. I started it a long time ago and school interrupted. There were a lot of neat tidbits in there but I thought some things were a bit oversold as well. Definitely a better read than Tipping Point though.

Psyched for this haul:

220px-Vineland.JPG

51suO8Mk2bL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51QzwDccnaL.jpg

I finished reading an advance copy of Nick Wilkshire's The Moscow Code mystery thriller. I liked it a lot.

Managed to burn through The Black Swan by Taleb right before the end of summer break. Probably the most jarring book I've had the pleasure to read, despite having some idea of the general gist. I do wish he had managed to keep the chip on his shoulder less obvious - his regular denigration of those in "dark suits, white shirts, and neckties" added nothing.

been thinking lately about how amazing this is. definitely the most unique and fucked up work of epic fantasy i've read. i really need to dive into the subsequent quadrilogy; my dad reckons it might be even better, and this is his all-time favourite series so that's high praise.

The%2BDarkness%2BTHat%2BComes%2BBefore.jpg

Reactions: CiG
been thinking lately about how amazing this is. definitely the most unique and fucked up work of epic fantasy i've read. i really need to dive into the subsequent quadrilogy; my dad reckons it might be even better, and this is his all-time favourite series so that's high praise.

The%2BDarkness%2BTHat%2BComes%2BBefore.jpg

Best fantasy series out there. The quadrilogy doesn't measure up to the trilogy (yet, anyway), but it's still really fucking good.

Traces of LOTR and Blood Meridian, how can you go wrong?

I didn't enjoy the sequel as much; but then again, seeing as Blindsight is one of the best science fiction novels since 2000, my expectations may have been a bit high... :cool:

Yeah, put off reading it originally cause people had said that kinda thing. Enjoying it as much as I did Blindsight so far (bout 20% in).

the final book in the quadrilogy came out last month if you aren't aware. i haven't read any of those yet.

Yeah I've heard. I'm still working my way through the penultimate book (i.e. The Great Ordeal). Really fucking excited for The Unholy Consult though. What is the No-God, what's inside Golgotterath...? It's going to be some dark fucking shit.