The Books/Reading Thread

sarah michelle gellar is a surprisingly good actress. i wouldn't say the same thing about the dude who plays angel though lol. i was always more of a spike fan anyway.

i actually really liked firefly as well but i don't dare revisit it in case i hate it now.

i actually really liked firefly as well but i don't dare revisit it in case i hate it now.

I'm a huge Firefly/Serenity fan. I do a rewatch every year. I've met four of the cast members at conventions. And in order to tie this into books, they recently published the first of three planned Firefly prose novels.

As skeptical as I am, I dont think Netflix would fail quite THIS bad. I actually watched the pilot and it was fucking horrible. Fortunately this was not enough to taint the history of history of The Wheel of Time and allow the dark one to win the battle (of TV shows).
i'm kinda assuming that if everyone thinks the pilot sucks that bad, the producers will go through the effort of making the actual series completely different [better, hopefully] than the pilot

i really just can't imagine the actual series looking exactly like the pilot that absolutely nobody liked

i'm kinda assuming that if everyone thinks the pilot sucks that bad, the producers will go through the effort of making the actual series completely different [better, hopefully] than the pilot

i really just can't imagine the actual series looking exactly like the pilot that absolutely nobody liked

Well, if the current planned series has a pilot episode nearly as bad, im sure it will tank immediately. Even someone as recently invested in the series as I would probably not watch another episode of that crap. I would assume it would just get worse if THAT was supposed to be the attention-grabbing pilot episode.

As far as I know, the new series has nothing to do with that episode. In fact, it looks like the rights to actually use the series as material wasn't obtained before airing, and that single episode was as far as they got. If the new staff doesnt consider this a big budget series, then im out. Ill be damned if the TV series is a budget-level parody. I barely even watch TV/movies as it is.

While I agree, the anime industry is kind of shit lately. They are no longer committing to long-running series, and it seems to take forever even for shows with widespread popularity to get renewed for even a 12 episode second season. Also it is extremely rare for the industry to adapt anything that isnt a manga or a light novel. And knowing Japan they would just sexualize all of the woman characters into fanservicey blobs and just ruin everything by giving it to the shounen demographic. I think the chances of a high-budget TV series doing a better job at the adaptation is more likely than the anime industry hitting this one out of the park.

While I agree, the anime industry is kind of shit lately. They are no longer committing to long-running series, and it seems to take forever even for shows with widespread popularity to get renewed for even a 12 episode second season. Also it is extremely rare for the industry to adapt anything that isnt a manga or a light novel. And knowing Japan they would just sexualize all of the woman characters into fanservicey blobs and just ruin everything by giving it to the shounen demographic. I think the chances of a high-budget TV series doing a better job at the adaptation is more likely than the anime industry hitting this one out of the park.
i would agree except that people have already said that the budget for Wheel of Time will definitely have a smaller budget than the money that was spent on Game of Thrones

if you had everyone involved in production be actual fans of the book series then an animated series could theoretically be a whole lot better than a live action show if the live action version doesn't get a huge-as-hell budget

the descriptions of locations, the aes sedai characters using magic a lot, Rand Al Thor reaching into the Void [and doing other magic stuff], the people communicating through the tel'aran'rhiod, the trollocs, these things [and possibly many more things] would require spectacular special effects [and props and make-up] that could look just fucking horrible [in live-action] if the show has a low-budget

an animated wheel of time, wouldn't have these problems and could introduce the WOT universe to people who love animation anyway [children who weren't even born when the series came out and/or older Otaku guys who love fantasy-genre but just haven't read this specific series]

And knowing Japan they would just sexualize all of the woman characters into fanservicey blobs and just ruin everything by giving it to the shounen demographic.
making it animated doesn't necessarily need to involve Japan
IIRC that early 90s X-Men cartoon was made without any one in Japan being involved

I just have a low tolerance for standalone episodes in any quantity.
i personally love when a show does "stand-alone" episodes
i love all of the "stand alone episodes" of Supernatural

and for me the first 2 seasons of Smallville were really truly way-the-fuck-better than the 3rd season [Smallville had a total of 10 seasons and i consider season 3 the worst really]
Clark Kent already had his most of his Superman superpowers in episode 1 and i really really loved the whole "Clark vs monster-of-the-week" thing they did for seasons 1 and 2 and season 5 [after the "2nd metoer shower" at the very end of season 4]

Even so I just have a low tolerance for standalone episodes in any quantity

i personally love when a show does "stand-alone" episodes
i love all of the "stand alone episodes" of Supernatural

and for me the first 2 seasons of Smallville were really truly way-the-fuck-better than the 3rd season [Smallville had a total of 10 seasons and i consider season 3 the worst really]
Clark Kent already had his most of his Superman superpowers in episode 1 and i really really loved the whole "Clark vs monster-of-the-week" thing they did for seasons 1 and 2 and season 5 [after the "2nd metoer shower" at the very end of season 4][/QUOTE]
Even so I just have a low tolerance for standalone episodes in any quantity[/QUOTE]

I finished reading the first book in Maddie Day's Cozy Capers mystery series. It's called Murder on Cape Cod.

Supernatural was a lot of fun the first few seasons when it would focus on a new ghost story every episode. I generally prefer story arcs to stand alones but they really blew it on that series.
i didn't mean to say that Supernatural's multi-episode-arcs sucked
i was just commenting about how i love stand-alone-episodes when it comes to tv shows

Smallville's 3rd season was one of the worst season-arcs ever