The Books/Reading Thread

Finally got around to finishing 12 Rules for Life. Could have easily been 100 pages shorter, but we know JP is a bit verbose. Excluding unnecessary digressions, the main points are all solid. Now working on:

51DPr5Q6W8L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Gist isn't anything surprising, but some of the details are infuriating, especially considering a lof of this stuff overlaps with my time in Iraq, and that the Obama administration was practically Cheney on steroids. But we won't see an "Obama" movie in the vein of Vice.

If it makes you feel any better ive read a few of your reviews, and they are pretty good. I just notice your posts go unremarked upon, and im guessing it is just because most of us arent into the genres you review.

Understandable.

I used to read fantasy novels growing up but the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series cured me of that. I don't read a lot of science fiction beyond Star Trek prose novels and the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

As for non-fiction stuff, I have enough reality in regular life, I read for escapism.

But I'll keep plugging away posting links here and if someone wants to check it out, great. If not, well trying never hurts.

I really really love the open-ended-series thing where You've got a hundred books that all have the same principal protagonist (Anita Blake, Drizzt Do'Urden)
The closest thing I get to reading "thrillers" or "mysteries" is Harry Bosch / Lincoln Rhyme / Alex Cross / Kay Scarpetta

BTW
I actually really love all of the above mentioned fictional characters

One of my most recent reviews was for the latest Harry Bosch novel.

Understandable.

I used to read fantasy novels growing up but the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series cured me of that. I don't read a lot of science fiction beyond Star Trek prose novels and the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

As for non-fiction stuff, I have enough reality in regular life, I read for escapism.

But I'll keep plugging away posting links here and if someone wants to check it out, great. If not, well trying never hurts.
wheel of time was just too...epic...i guess is the word
i read fantasy novels to escape
But wheel of Time was just too much
The magic was weird and kinda crazy
Too much world-building, way the fuck too many characters
And basically the exact same problems I had reading a song of ice and fire (although I did love the first few seasons of the game of thrones HBO series)

I like the Star trek novels but I also like the Star wars novels

The Honor Harrington series is horrible
It's labeled as"military-sci-fi" but it's just way too much military and not nearly enough sci-fi
If I wanted to read a book blatantly written by a military man, I'd just read the David Webber books that are not in the Honor Harrington series
I don't have time to read nonfiction
I'm too busy reading "the war of the spider queen"

@TageRyche
You familiar with the characters I named in my previous post??
You know Arilyn Moonblade, Darth Bane, war of the spider queen??

Picked up a novel of Tolkien stories (will send picture later)

I'm glad to be back into reading. I love how much of a personal thing it is.

Neuromancer helped kickstart my love for cyberpunk culture and idealism.

wheel of time was just too...epic...i guess is the word
i read fantasy novels to escape
But wheel of Time was just too much
The magic was weird and kinda crazy
Too much world-building, way the fuck too many characters
And basically the exact same problems I had reading a song of ice and fire (although I did love the first few seasons of the game of thrones HBO series)

I like the Star trek novels but I also like the Star wars novels

The Honor Harrington series is horrible
It's labeled as"military-sci-fi" but it's just way too much military and not nearly enough sci-fi
If I wanted to read a book blatantly written by a military man, I'd just read the David Webber books that are not in the Honor Harrington series
I don't have time to read nonfiction
I'm too busy reading "the war of the spider queen"

@TageRyche
You familiar with the characters I named in my previous post??
You know Arilyn Moonblade, Darth Bane, war of the spider queen??

For me, it wasn't that The Wheel of Time series was too epic. It was that it was too much of nothing going on. I read the first 6 books no problem. It was when the first 300 pages of book 7 saw absolutely nothing happen that I gave up.

As for Game of Thrones, I never finished the first book but I do love the TV series.

I used to read the Star Wars novels but stopped.

We'll have to disagree about the Honor Harrington series. I love it, though I will say I'm behind on the series these days.

As for those characters, I'm not familiar with them.

As for those characters, I'm not familiar with them.
BLASPHEMY
just kidding
Seriously though
I really love all the characters I mentioned
If you want to try reading fantasy again
Drizzt Do'Urden is a good place to start
The Drizzt books are cut-up into trilogies and quartets but each trilogy/quartet is a completely self-contained story where you should be able to start reading with the newest trilogy/quartet and completely understand everything that's going on with the story

The "Anita Blake, vampire hunter" series has each individual book completely self contained so you can read those books in any order and each one still makes sense
Also all the Anita Blake books are completely 1st-person, which is used as a short-cut for world-building so that you have a well-developed world with-out the awkward info-dumps

The war of the spider queen was a six-book-story that takes place in Drizzt Do'Urden's universe even though Drizzt himself is not actually in the story

71zHAFrie4L.jpg

After a long break (not entirely by choice) I am finally getting back on track with The Horus Heresy series. I ordered these books just before last Christmas and they've taken this long to arrive and not even all of them arrived anyway, had to get a refund on one book which never arrived in the end.

Reactions: Dak
Been enjoying the stories in Burnt Black Suns by Simon Strantzas. The title story in particular was fucking bleak.

81hxVpKSXGL.jpg

Now really psyched for this, just got it yesterday:

productimage-picture-the-rim-of-morning-531_2048x2048.jpg

I have a file somewhere of all Lovercraft's books that are in the public domain. Not sure if the entire collection is in the public domain but a fair bit of it is.

Reactions: Sophii