The Books/Reading Thread

Been on a German diet recently

All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Marie Remarque
I've read this a few times, as it was an important source in my Bachelor's thesis, but this is my first time going through it in the original language. @The Ozzman I'd recommend you check this out, given your interest in books on war. It's quite moving, so much so the Nazis were compelled to burn it. Jokes aside, I'd say it's worth your time.

37438053-00-00.jpg

Forms of Forgetting - Aleida Assmann
Solid overview on recent theory regarding memory studies, of which her and her husband have contributed to significantly in recent memory (see canon v. archive). Assmann is also quite a straight-forward and easy-to-comprehend writer, which is refreshing after spending the last few weeks on Kant and Hegel in German. I'd imagine an English translation of this will be published at some point, as the Assmann's have gotten quite a lot of attention recently,
31Cvguf1UML._SY445_QL70_.jpg

Society in Descent: On Revolt in Age of Regressive Modernity (Tricky to translate) - Oliver Nachtwey
Picked this up today as I've read an essay from the author in a collection once that I quite enjoyed. The translation there is bad too, from "Entzivilerizierung" to "Decivilization," which is crap imo--much better would be "The Process of Decivilization." Anyways, the title here strikes me more as hype than a reflection of the book, just based on a quick perusal. Most of the book is quite in the vain of Piketty, with an emphasis on rising inequality. There's one concept I love in this work, regressive modernization, which essentially holds that unchecked modernization turns instead to impovershment. Not a new phenomenon by any means, but I like the wide applicability of the term. As for the part on revolt, it's maybe a fifth of the work, and covers the protest movement across the West since the Great Recession.
12682.jpg

Reactions: EspaDa
Only one chapter in so far, but really enjoying Karen Barad's Meeting the Universe Halfway. It's a compelling breakdown of the realist/constructivist divide in the sciences by someone with a doctorate in theoretical physics, but who has a remarkable grasp of critical theory post-Foucault. It's also an admirable effort to stretch poststructuralist accounts of matter and meaning into science (primarily physics), and to stretch Niels Bohr's "philosophy-physics" into poststructuralism's incomplete accounts of reality.

51c7q3z3UKL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finished the Carlene O'Connor mystery "Murder In An Irish Churchyard". I also received a new shipment of review copies to read for potential reviews.

I swear I'm not trying to sound sarcastic
The fact that @TageRyche is a guy that is mentioned on other websites is really cool
It feels like we're hanging out with a celebrity

I swear I'm not trying to sound sarcastic
The fact that @TageRyche is a guy that is mentioned on other websites is really cool
It feels like we're hanging out with a celebrity

Thanks but not even close. Just trying to share my writing, etc. If someone reads what I write and likes it, great. If not, well I tried at least.

If it makes you feel any better ive read a few of your reviews, and they are pretty good. I just notice your posts go unremarked upon, and im guessing it is just because most of us arent into the genres you review.

Reactions: Einherjar86
I was going to say, I look at them sometimes too, but I just don't usually read thrillers or mysteries. The only mysteries I really come in contact with are Tana French books, and only because my wife and I like to listen to them in the car on long trips.

I really really love the open-ended-series thing where You've got a hundred books that all have the same principal protagonist (Anita Blake, Drizzt Do'Urden)
The closest thing I get to reading "thrillers" or "mysteries" is Harry Bosch / Lincoln Rhyme / Alex Cross / Kay Scarpetta

BTW
I actually really love all of the above mentioned fictional characters