The Books/Reading Thread

i was a huge goosebumps and spooksville slut myself. fond memories. they released a spooksville tv show not that long ago, i should watch that shit.

Next two reads. Partway through the Kunzru, excellent book about weirdness in the U.S. southwest.

11076138.jpg

56560578.jpg

I mentioned Santa Cruz's Streets on Fire previously, such a great video. I gradually started seeing a bit of skating on TV and checked out more videos online. Then I got fully stuck into Mr Hawk's video game series. I did eventually get a skateboard but too late in life to really get around to doing anything with it. Need some garage space so I can mess around in secret where nobody can see me, like Rodney's barn, haha.

Reactions: CiG
I finished reading Murder, She Wrote: Murder In Season by Jon Land the other day. It's the 6th and final entry in the series for him and like the others, it was a really good read.

I'm in the midst of reading The Nemesis Manifesto by Eric Van Lustbader.

I'm going to a distanced book signing later today for an author whose work I'm a big fan of. Afterwards, we are going to grab some dinner.

Reactions: zerostatic
speaking of "advance copy"
i read an advance copy of "emporor of the universe"
as far as i know, the only difference between the advance copy "not for sale" copy i had and the version people were able to buy is that the version people bought had "illustrations throughout"
but
even before the illustrations existed, the copy i read was fucking hilarious
it was like reading a douglas adams book somehow written after adams died

OIP.5HAcpl78KXQdLSjkC1y_wgAAAA

Been reading a lot of fiction lately, which has been awesome--but a few theory/history books have come in lately, and I'm psyched to get my hands a little dirty. All of these are on sociopolitical change in the Anthropocene, but focusing on various aspects: race/racism, industry/extraction, and urbanization/city planning.

71EHgMLFnJL.jpg

91HmpM6ONWL.jpg

Yeah, it's heartbreaking.

To anyone curious about the most metal manga of all time, I highly recommend the deluxe edition reissues. I have the first volume and I want to pick up the rest when I quit being broke. The book itself is colossal, never seen any manga printed at that size before, and with the all-black hardcover it sits in my bookshelf like a sinister bible.