The Books/Reading Thread

Haven't posted here in a while. Got some good stuff over the past few months.

978-1-4780-1114-9.jpg

%3Fcollid%3Dbooks_covers_0%26isbn%3D9781916405233%26type%3D.jpg

9780674237698.jpg

9781912916245_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

any of you aussie fucks read paul jennings or morris gleitzman when you were kids? round the twist was a big kids tv favourite here and wicked! was basically the best shit ever, i just found out there was a tv adaptation which i am 100% gonna watch.
3D891110-4C48-4AFD-861E-C7914DA34E14.jpeg
D0F2A163-7F2C-4A93-9175-87F997ED2B4A.jpeg
49E4D979-CCCD-4F99-90F7-6D2D4746946E.jpeg

lol wicked is unironically good tho, properly wacked out disturbing post-apocalyptic shit, i’d never read anything like it ‘cause i don’t think british kids’ fiction writers would get away with that shit

Reactions: CiG
Yeah, had a couple of Paul Jennings books at least. When I was 12 we had to come up with a radio show in groups in English class and tape it, and my dumb arse thought it'd be a good idea to tape reading the whole of The Gizmo. So when our group played our tape to the class we ended up just fast forwarding most of it. :tickled:

Three mystery novels I read recently:

Gone For Good by Joanna Schaffhausen
A Different Dawn by Isabella Maldonado
Without A Brew by Ellie Alexander

The bartimaeus trilogy book 1 the amulet of samarkand

It's a comedy book

I've only read a few chapters and already laughing my ass off

im actually intrigued by the way that "the ongoing pandemic" and "the most recent presidential election" are worked into a work of fiction

When an author chooses to include real world events into their books as opposed to either ignoring the pandemic or making up a fictional president, it is a delicate balancing act to get things right. Daniel Silva does a great job.

When an author chooses to include real world events into their books as opposed to either ignoring the pandemic or making up a fictional president, it is a delicate balancing act to get things right. Daniel Silva does a great job.
there's lots of books where they need to mention the name of the president of the united states and the author just makes up a fictional president
don't think i've seen a CIA-spy-type-of-novel use the real name of the current president for the last several presidents

also
haven't seen many fiction books mention the pandemic yet, so there's that

The main reason for the lack of pandemic books is because in the commercial publishing sector there is about a 2 year turn around between something becoming popular and it starting to be the go to topic for novels. It's one of the reasons why picking the current trend to write about for authors with contracts is such a dicey area to play with. Many authors have been caught writing about today's big news only to finally get the book to publishing stage and have the topic well out of the news and looking old, or in some cases even cancelled due to today's need to erase things people no longer like.

Recently I acquired some Tanith Lee books.
First one I'm reading is "Vazkor, Son of Vazkor", still by chapter four, but it seems solid so far.
Got to reading some comics/graphic novels in the past few days too:
Elric : The Ruby Throne (10/10 comic, everyone into fatansy should check this one out!)
Dark Horse's Conan - The Barbrian Omnibus, Vol. 2 (Started reading this one yesterday, first volume was amazing, so I have high expectations for this one).

Guess that's it.