The Books/Reading Thread

Recently I acquired some Tanith Lee books.
First one I'm reading is "Vazkor, Son of Vazkor", still by chapter four, but it seems solid so far.
Got to reading some comics/graphic novels in the past few days too:
Elric : The Ruby Throne (10/10 comic, everyone into fatansy should check this one out!)
Dark Horse's Conan - The Barbrian Omnibus, Vol. 2 (Started reading this one yesterday, first volume was amazing, so I have high expectations for this one).

Guess that's it.
did you read the thing on my wattpad page yet??

ha
guess i wasn't paying attention to how long it
"Read" is too strong of a word, I'd say I glanced over it :p
But don't worry, I will them read with more attention later today, that's a promise!
what i wrote was story-outlines for a short-story-collection
what I'm planning on doing is making enough of the short-stories so that the word-count for all the stories combined adds up to the word-count of a novel

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=standard+lenght+word+count+for+a+novel

there's lots of books where they need to mention the name of the president of the united states and the author just makes up a fictional president
don't think i've seen a CIA-spy-type-of-novel use the real name of the current president for the last several presidents

also
haven't seen many fiction books mention the pandemic yet, so there's that

Michael Connelly's most recent book in his Lincoln Lawyer series started in December as the pandemic was first making news internationally and ended as it was becoming first full blown in California.

And in The Cellist, both the just past president and the pandemic definitely play roles. A lot of authors in the cozy mystery genre are either ignoring the pandemic or setting it after it has subsided.

The main reason for the lack of pandemic books is because in the commercial publishing sector there is about a 2 year turn around between something becoming popular and it starting to be the go to topic for novels. It's one of the reasons why picking the current trend to write about for authors with contracts is such a dicey area to play with. Many authors have been caught writing about today's big news only to finally get the book to publishing stage and have the topic well out of the news and looking old, or in some cases even cancelled due to today's need to erase things people no longer like.

There's also the fact that people don't really want to have their fiction continue the unrelenting horror show that their reality has become. I am active on a couple of popular mystery blog communities and the authors there have been talking about how to incorporate, or not, the pandemic. The overwhelming response from the communities has been that of ignore it or mention it in passing as an "after the fact" thing but not to set the stories in the middle of it.

Reactions: Slammed
There's also the fact that people don't really want to have their fiction continue the unrelenting horror show that their reality has become. I am active on a couple of popular mystery blog communities and the authors there have been talking about how to incorporate, or not, the pandemic. The overwhelming response from the communities has been that of ignore it or mention it in passing as an "after the fact" thing but not to set the stories in the middle of it.

The Good Doctor (the American version) handled the pandemic well in the midst of writing, but you're right it's not a topic everyone wants to compete with. There has been plenty of pandemic books over the years, some strangely close to what's going on in the world currently, but if you're going to write something specifically covid you're going to need to be extremely factual, or it's mentioned in passing.

Tropes like vampires and zombies, or vampire love stories, or zombie vampire lover stories (respect all communities and who they love!) were such hot property a few years back that many publishers wanted them and couldn't get them. But after a few years of them being popular on TV and the like it took many publishers and book companies several years to catch up, then they became inundated with them the it became over populated.

The trick as an author, and it's a bloody good one if you can pull it off, is to pick what is going to be popular in about 2 years and write about that, then you can be one of the first, not one of the last.

@TageRyche

i love Connolly's Harry Bosch novels but i haven't yet read the Lincoln layer series

i love reading those open-ended-book-series where a single person ends up being the principal-protagonist in 20-30 individual books
but i don't really like the "cozy-mystery' type books

i love Harry Bosch, Lincoln Rhyme, Anita Blake, Drizzt Do'Urden, Rachel Morgan, Stephanie Plumb, Richard Rahl

and i did read a book taking place "after the pandemic" where the corona-virus mutated in such a way that it became lethal to males and all the females became asymptomatic carriers, it was really just one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Man_on_Earth but done really annoyingly with a horrible #metoo slant, even referencing the metoo hashtag as a historical event happening "right before all the males died"
it was so feminist-slant that i couldn't get all the way through it and i can't even remember the name of it

also i just kinda always assumed that there'd be at some point a book-form of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_in_the_Time_of_Corona
where the whole freaking plot is just characters having to deal with the frustrations of the lock-downs, shelter-in-place orders, awesome night-clubs getting shut down, social distancing inside stores being annoying for people going inside the store in groups, and people bitching that they can't breathe while wearing the corona-virus masks etc etc etc

@TageRyche

i love Connolly's Harry Bosch novels but i haven't yet read the Lincoln layer series

i love reading those open-ended-book-series where a single person ends up being the principal-protagonist in 20-30 individual books
but i don't really like the "cozy-mystery' type books

i love Harry Bosch, Lincoln Rhyme, Anita Blake, Drizzt Do'Urden, Rachel Morgan, Stephanie Plumb, Richard Rahl

and i did read a book taking place "after the pandemic" where the corona-virus mutated in such a way that it became lethal to males and all the females became asymptomatic carriers, it was really just one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Man_on_Earth but done really annoyingly with a horrible #metoo slant, even referencing the metoo hashtag as a historical event happening "right before all the males died"
it was so feminist-slant that i couldn't get all the way through it and i can't even remember the name of it

also i just kinda always assumed that there'd be at some point a book-form of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_in_the_Time_of_Corona
where the whole freaking plot is just characters having to deal with the frustrations of the lock-downs, shelter-in-place orders, awesome night-clubs getting shut down, social distancing inside stores being annoying for people going inside the store in groups, and people bitching that they can't breathe while wearing the corona-virus masks etc etc etc

Recently read Richard Laymon's The Midnight Tour. Sorta trashy for shock value, good fun.

Now reading Harold Avery's The Wizard Wand. The sort of stuff I read quite a bit as a kid, though since this one's not about a full-on boarding school it's not so alien. It hasn't even mentioned fagging.

71-b59PqjIL.jpg

Been working my way through the Malazan series over the past year. I just finished book 6. While I've liked all the books so far, this was the first one that totally clicked with me. Big fucking sieges, assassin wars, historical mysteries, cosmological revelations, the converging of long-separate story arcs, high-stakes Yu-Gi-Oh games, the scene from the book cover... Loved this damn book, cover-to-cover.

I found out last night that a pull quote from my review of author Robyn Gigl's first book got used on the back cover of her 2nd book Survivor's Guilt which came out this past Tuesday.

And I was also surprised to learn that in author Joanna Schaffhausen's LAST SEEN ALIVE, she thanked me in the acknowledgements at the back of the book!

I just started reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. When my sister was clearing her flat to move overseas in 2008 I took a pile of her books and I think this is the last one from the pile I hadn't read yet. This copy tops 1,000 pages and others in the pile included freakin' Ulysses, Shantaram and Don Quixote, hence why it's all taken me so long. :lol:

I found out last night that a pull quote from my review of author Robyn Gigl's first book got used on the back cover of her 2nd book Survivor's Guilt which came out this past Tuesday.

And I was also surprised to learn that in author Joanna Schaffhausen's LAST SEEN ALIVE, she thanked me in the acknowledgements at the back of the book!
woo-hoo

Kinda rediscovered my love for reading the past few months. So far I:

Finished Dune
Mistborn Book 1
Mistborn Book 2
The Eye of the World
Working on Mistborn Book 3

Oh, and I taught 6 classes so I read probably 2000 pages of undergraduate nonsense. Does that shit count?
are you planning on reading the rest of the Dune universe books and the entire Wheel of Time saga
cuz those will prolly take forever

also i loved the Mistborn series

click here
https://lrmonline.com/news/brandon-...ight-archive-and-general-cosmere-adaptations/

Last edited: