The Books/Reading Thread

I don't know how interested you would be in it, because I know your focus is more on the Classics; but if you're ever curious, it's a big puzzle of a text, and draws much of its inspiration from Latin and Greek source material (as most Renaissance texts did).

PattonAGeniusForWar.jpg

The book is like 2 inches thick, but it's pretty much just straight history of Patton. The guy did more in one lifetime (that was cut short) than most could do in 3.

One of the greatest military minds of all time.

Actually, a few weeks back I picked up my World History college textbook. It was always one of the classes I really enjoyed, so I'm reading it pretty much all the way through (skipping a few sections here and there I just don't care about)

After I'm done with that I think I'll pick up Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" as I really enjoyed Atlas Shrugged. After that? Most likely back to fantasy, which is my usual reading material. I have a certain guilty pleasure of R.A. Salvatore...I heard his most recent trilogy will wrap up sometime this year!

PattonAGeniusForWar.jpg

The book is like 2 inches thick, but it's pretty much just straight history of Patton. The guy did more in one lifetime (that was cut short) than most could do in 3.

One of the greatest military minds of all time.

I am pretty ambivalent to handing over respect to any "military minds." Granted he played a rather large role in WWII but something about the nature of a "military mind" does not inspire me to celebrate its success.

I am pretty ambivalent to handing over respect to any "military minds." Granted he played a rather large role in WWII but something about the nature of a "military mind" does not inspire me to celebrate its success.

Celebrate the brilliant tactical mind, not the military mastermind that resulted in the deaths of many. While they may be one in the same one must be able to appreciate the good of it, while at the same time holding a distaste for the bad.

finished Coriolanus
now on to The Sonnets

finished the complete works of Shakespeare... now onto the complete poetry of Milton.

Jesus christ, calm down! :p

It takes a lot of will power for me to read a book in one sitting. I don't know what it is, but if I have to sit there for more than an hour and do nothing but read I start freaking out. So normally I read a few chapters, do something else, read some more, rinse and repeat. Except for this one book. I just finished Freemasons by H. Paul Jeffers in one sitting and I'm pretty proud of myself. Granted it's only like 200 pages but whatever.

Ever since I read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons I started to get into the whole secret society, religious, ritualistic stuff, and picked up this book on Freemasons. Although the main reason is because there are Masonic symbols all over Indiana and I never knew what the hell they were or meant so I picked this book up. It didn't answer all my questions, but it was definitely a good starting point. A little fyi if anyone is interested in a brief description on Freemansonry and its history.

Jesus christ, calm down! :p

It takes a lot of will power for me to read a book in one sitting. I don't know what it is, but if I have to sit there for more than an hour and do nothing but read I start freaking out. So normally I read a few chapters, do something else, read some more, rinse and repeat. Except for this one book. I just finished Freemasons by H. Paul Jeffers in one sitting and I'm pretty proud of myself. Granted it's only like 200 pages but whatever.

Ever since I read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons I started to get into the whole secret society, religious, ritualistic stuff, and picked up this book on Freemasons. Although the main reason is because there are Masonic symbols all over Indiana and I never knew what the hell they were or meant so I picked this book up. It didn't answer all my questions, but it was definitely a good starting point. A little fyi if anyone is interested in a brief description on Freemansonry and its history.

I used to be the same actually, whenever i pick up a book to read i feel sleepy.. but not anymore, i never liked reading books in French or Arabic, but I found an American English Teaching school here, with a quite good library, I started reading a hell of a lot lol...
And I SOO WANT to read that book you've just finished man !! but i can't find it in that library or anything similar to that for some reasons :erk:
The secret society thingy sounds really interesting, but i've just watched several videos of it and Jordan Maxwell's conferences and lectures. Great stuff.
I'm getting Environment and Society next !

Well, I'm only 40 pages in so far, but he's mainly talking about the "false idols" the current schooling system worships...those of Economic Utility and Technology. He talks about how we've kind of lost the idea of big, grand narratives to create a "why" or purpose for going to school other than using it as a means (rather than an "end", hence the title).

It's pretty interesting so far. one of my buddies recommended it to me. At some point, Postman is supposed to talk about things educators (and I'm hoping parents and even students) can do to improve the climate of the schooling situation in America.

synopsis I pulled from amazon:
After 20 books (e.g., Technopoly, LJ 1/92), Postman, social critic par excellence, has returned to his original turf: education. Sharp, witty, and frequently quotable, he demolishes many leading popular themes as lacking in meaning. Education without spiritual content or, as he puts it, without a myth or narrative to sustain and motivate, is education without a purpose. That purpose used to be democracy and could still be, if only we were willing to look for the elements that unite rather than separate. Postman considers multiculturalism a separatist movement that destroys American unity. Diversity, however, is one of the themes he would employ in teaching language, history, and culture. Postman offers a number of positive and uplifting themes around which a new education philosophy could be formulated, some of which are far-fetched or extreme but nonetheless interesting. A most welcome addition to the education debate; highly recommended for all libraries.

I am confused as to how education motivated by myth is somehow superior to education motivated by accomplishing a personal mission for a reality based end.

If that is the case though, well then LET'S DO IT FOR JESUS!

The irony on this board will probably be lost to most.

I am confused as to how education motivated by myth is somehow superior to education motivated by accomplishing a personal mission for a reality based end.

If that is the case though, well then LET'S DO IT FOR JESUS!

The irony on this board will probably be lost to most.

yeah I'm rather uneasy about the whole idea, but I'm willing to hear Postman out