The Books/Reading Thread

Finished this the other day, a quick and worthwhile read -

0156030098.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

yeah but it's scattered across multiple volumes and collections. I've always wanted a one stop source for all of his stories, and I finally have it. It also includes his notes and drafts for several stories, incomplete works, and his essay on supernatural horror in literature

Planning on reading all of Emil Cioran's works. Now I'm reading Tratat de descompunere (it'll take a lot of time with university work and bachelor degree paper coming up), always wondered how this author could harbour such thoughts throughout his life and not commit suicide.

41GBB1N2RPL._SS500_.jpg

In case anybody is interested, it's a really bleak book - actually all are, some might find it boring, but if you can identify with it (most would), you would find it brilliant. Also, you would need quite a good dose of love for life, beause you will feel like kicking yourself for being an optimist, it is a misanthropic book - reflections on how things fall appart, but also with a dose of nihilistic humour.

Actually, all of his books can be characterized this way...

I am currently reading Beyond Good & Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche translated by Helen Zimmer.
I am enjoying it.
I'm in the early portion of the book,
Has anyone else read this? Id love to hear what others views are on Nietzsche.

I was looking at this book a few weeks ago! I think I will pick it up! Thank you!

Planning on reading all of Emil Cioran's works. Now I'm reading Tratat de descompunere (it'll take a lot of time with university work and bachelor degree paper coming up), always wondered how this author could harbour such thoughts throughout his life and not commit suicide.

41GBB1N2RPL._SS500_.jpg

In case anybody is interested, it's a really bleak book - actually all are, some might find it boring, but if you can identify with it (most would), you would find it brilliant. Also, you would need quite a good dose of love for life, beause you will feel like kicking yourself for being an optimist, it is a misanthropic book - reflections on how things fall appart, but also with a dose of nihilistic humour.

Actually, all of his books can be characterized this way...

I am currently reading Beyond Good & Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche translated by Helen Zimmer.
I am enjoying it.
I'm in the early portion of the book,
Has anyone else read this? Id love to hear what others views are on Nietzsche.

I'm very attracted to and influenced by his philosophy, but always remember that the point he's making is that his truths are his and my truths are mine.

Check out The Antichrist and Thus Spake Zarathustra.

I've only read excerpts of On the Genealogy of Morals, but it's very good and highly influential. A great text for understanding where Nietzsche is coming from.

I finished the newest installation in R. Scott Bakker's series. Currently for pleasure I'm reading Don DeLillo's White Noise.

White-Noise-Don-DeLillo.jpg

As a graduation present for myself, I also purchased the following and can't wait to sink my teeth into some of it:

85935.jpg

eagleton-ideology.jpg

85812.jpg

I have only read excerpts from nietzsche, but I get the impression from those that I would very often find myself either adamantly rejecting or repulsed in regards to his conclusions.

Thank you!
Glad to see people are reading!

I have only read excerpts from nietzsche, but I get the impression from those that I would very often find myself either adamantly rejecting or repulsed in regards to his conclusions.

I'm very attracted to and influenced by his philosophy, but always remember that the point he's making is that his truths are his and my truths are mine.

Check out The Antichrist and Thus Spake Zarathustra.

^^^ will do thanks!:)

I feel the same way. My only difference with you here is that I've read almost his entire corpus several times.

I feel the same way. My only difference with you here is that I've read almost his entire corpus several times.

I am not necessarily opposed to reading things I expect to disagree with, but when I expect that the disagreement will be complete I will be less likely to appropriate my limited time and resources to it. I am currently trying to delve into money and economics, starting with Rothbard, and expect that to keep me quite busy for a while.