The Books/Reading Thread

Thinking about picking this up. Been reading a lot of non fiction lately so I'm definitely due for some fiction, and a lot of fantasy novels I've read in the past have made me really desire a book just about dwarves. I think I found it if the cover and reviews are any indication.

51xMB4ufD7L.jpg

Went and bought Dwarves, Warhammer: Dwarfs, Warhammer: Witch Hunter, Warhammer: Bounty Hunter, and Eaters of the Dead. From what I've heard the Warhammer books seem like pretty straightforward hack n slash type books in the vein of R.A. Salvatore. But I can only do non-fiction so far without some guilty pleasure fantasy.

An audio dramatization of Neuromancer. If you're not reading anything else and you like cyberpunk, then definitely check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the following sitting on my desk that I'm going to read this summer. Any opinions on em?

Ilium by Dan Simmons
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks
A Dance With Dragons by George RR Martin (pre-order)

I have the following sitting on my desk that I'm going to read this summer. Any opinions on em?

Ilium by Dan Simmons

Dan Simmons wrote the Hyperion Cantos which is one of my favorite science fiction series; I haven't read Ilium and Olympos, but I've heard they're phenomenal.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

This is a fantastic work of dystopian literature; if you enjoy it, definitely check out her book Oryx and Crake.

A Dance With Dragons by George RR Martin (pre-order)

Have you read the rest of the series? Because this is the fifth book...

Dan Simmons wrote the Hyperion Cantos which is one of my favorite science fiction series; I haven't read Ilium and Olympos, but I've heard they're phenomenal.

This is a fantastic work of dystopian literature; if you enjoy it, definitely check out her book Oryx and Crake.

Have you read the rest of the series? Because this is the fifth book...

I actually just finished reading Hyperion Cantos and was craving more Simmons :kickass:

I read Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood earlier this year

Yes I have read the first four books. Feast for Crows was pretty weak but the first three are some of my favorites.

Oh, awesome. Glad you dug the Simmons series, some readers get turned off by the fact that he incessantly beats you over the head with his literary knowledge. But he does that in all his books, Ilium and Olympos included, or so I've heard.

I personally like Oryx and Crake better than The Handmaid's Tale, but both are still fantastic books.

And A Feast for Crows is definitely the weakest of the series thus far. I have A Dance with Dragons pre-ordered and I'm anticipating epic greatness.

Finished White Noise. Fantastic book, and a landmark of postmodern fiction.

I had been planning on waiting until GRRM's new book comes out to start anything new, but a friend gave me A Canticle For Leibowitz as a graduation gift and I'm trying to finish that. So far it's pretty good.

20100426171150.jpg