The CD Recommendation Thread

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Yo

I'm not after a CD or anything to listen to, but I was listening to one at the moment which I think is awesome, and felt the need to pass knowledge of it on to everyone else.

What CD can *you* recommend to people here that you think they may not have heard? It can be anything, from Leo Sayer to Slipknot to Iced Earth in their glam, hair-band days.

My suggestion: "Disconnected" - Fates Warning.

So come on, people - let's not make this yet another of those threads that I start that end up having one or two replies to them :) Suggest a great CD, not only to get the band more fans, but also to maybe, just maybe, help the world as a whole.

Peace.

Counting Crows - Recovering The Satellites

One of my favourite albums EVER. Even like it more than most Maiden stuff :)

Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element PT 1

Simply a stunning concept album. Alot of Dream Theater fans love this band, I find that somewhat strange, because they arnt really that similar.
Pain of Salvation are less proggy and a bit more rocky, but they kick so many kinds of asses!
The singer/geetarist/.songwriter, Danile Gilendlow is a genious. His voice is bloody awesome. Pain of Salvation supported Dream Theater on the recent Eurpean tour. Damn, I would have like to have seen that show!

Anyhoo....... The Perfect Element is in my top 10 albums ever, go grab it now! The lyrics are so deep, the songs are all exceptionally well constructed. I cant really compare them to any band, because they are very unique, but if I like em, I think you would like them too.

"AVANTASIA: THE METAL OPERA" by Tobias Sammet

Words cannot describe this masterpiece (voted best metal album of 2001 on metal-rules.com by the way). Tobias Sammet is a genius, and throw in members of Gamma Ray, Virgin Steele, Stratovarius etc then you have a Power Metal epic on your hands.

I know it's a bit obvious, but worthy of mention is "Operation Mindcrime" by Queensryche and "Reign in Blood" by Slayer. These are just timeless.

Also, for non-metal, Prodigy's "Music for the Jilted Generation", Peter Gabriels "So", and Radioheads "The Bends".

Pantera - Power Metal
By far the best Pantera album, and why they don't re-release it is beyond me. Nothing to be ashamed of and its not glam. Its just like Cowboys with sharper guitars, better solos, and better metal screams (ala. Shattered style vocals) the whole album. But the lyrics are cheesier, especially Proud To Be Loud, Rock The World and Power Metal hehehe.

:headbang:

Vinnie Vincent Invasion - Vinnie Vincent Invasion
I've now been obsessed with this album for about 4 or 5 months straight. If you can find it, you must buy it, otherwise download it and burn it at least until you can find it to buy. Play this one LOUD and it's one of the most intense attacks on your ears ever... the guitars and vocals are just so relentless and piercing, it rules! So much energy, great hooks, awesome guitar sound, fun lyrics... yeah!! The solos are the only thing letting it down, they completely lack melody, but after a while you get used to it and it adds to the intensity of it hehe.

Vanishing Point - In Thought
This album rules! Its better than Tangled In Dream I reckon, nothing overly technical or flashy or anything, but the melodies on this album (guitar hooks and vocal melodies) are sooooo catchy its just unbelievable. Very moving music too.

I like the idea of this thread, we should keep it going! :)

For anyone who hasn't heard it already, I recommend "Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down" (which was actually recommended to me by Mark. Thanks dude! :) ). Although it took quite a while to get into, it was probably my favourite album of last year. I really can't describe the sound of this album, but it is very dark and melancholic, and damp sounding. I recommend everyone d/l the tracks "Dispossession" and "Chrome", just so you know what this band is on about. Awesome. :D

My next recommendation is the band B L A Z E. Anyone who has a grudge with the man from his Maiden days should put that aside for long enough to listen to a few tracks, and then make your own opinion on the band. They truly are awesome, and the only band to pop up in the last few years to make it into my 'favourite bands' list. Tracks I recommend everyone to d/l if you haven't heard them already are "Ghost In The Machine", "The Launch", "Stare at the Sun", "Kill and Destroy" and "End Dream". Thats a good sample from their two albums. :)

My next recommendation is "Warrior - The Code of Life". This is a very solid album, nothing I don't enjoy on it, and also some excellent stand out tracks. If you like Maiden and particularly Bruce's solo stuff (which you all do) and like heavy stuff like Iced Earth (which most of you do), then I recommend the tracks "Day of Reckoning (co-written by Roy Z)", "Kill The Machine", "We Are One (co-written by Bruce Dickinson)", "Soul Surviver" and/or "Retribution" for a sample. Awesome. :D

Buckcherry: TIMEBOMB Just a brilliant rocky fuckin album tracks like Frontside, Whiskey in the Morning, Ridin', Timebomb and so on so forth

Rancid: Self titled 2000 actually i like anything by rancid this was just their last release just get it dammit!

Entombed:Morning Star I have raised the point of this album a few times for those of you useless pussbags that aint got it fuck off and geddit NOW!! :mad:

P.O.D: Sattellite Alot of people dont like these guy's because they can get preachy but i dont give a fuck they are very good IMO at the rap-metal crossover bit and they aint so new on the scene they been around since the very early nineties...just give it a listen things like Boom, Set it OFF and Youth of the Nation cause they aint preachy songs :D if ya cant handle the preachy stuff

thats all i can think off for now..actually i have more but i think i have bored you enough :D

I heard some Buckcherry and it sounded awesome. Good hard rockin' stuff like Feelgood era Motley Crue mixed with AC/DC and stuff. Fun band, we need more bands like that these days.

Blitzkrieg: Have to agree with you there about Blaze. I haven't heard his new one, but Silicon Messiah IMO is better than anything he did with Maiden. I know I'll get slagged off for that, but I really stand by it. Silicon Messiah is phenomenal.

Warrior sounds interesting too.....may have to check that out!

This thread is great!

Warrior: Code Of Life ROCKS! :D

Also, listen to Southy, Entombed: Morning Star is truly awesome! Fractures rocks!

Originally posted by LucioArgento
Blitzkrieg: Have to agree with you there about Blaze. I haven't heard his new one, but Silicon Messiah IMO is better than anything he did with Maiden. I know I'll get slagged off for that, but I really stand by it. Silicon Messiah is phenomenal.

I don't think you'll cop any slagging for that. I don't have any Blaze stuff (except on MP3) but just because I'm not his biggest fan doesn't mean that I can't bee SM and TD are better _FOR HIM_ than XF of VXI, and not to shabby in their own right.

Actually Blitzy, I agree with you completely, Silicon Messiah is awesome, much better than his maiden stuff (which I dont mind anyway!).

Ghost In the Machine :headbang:

Blaze is way more rocky/heavy than Iron Maiden though! They are like a Roy Z produced Maiden, except with Andy Sneap :D

Sabbat: 'History of a Time to Come'

Jag Panzer: 'Ample Destruction'

Raven: 'Rock Until You Drop'

maudlin of the Well: 'Bath' and 'Leaving Your Body Map' - Opeth fans should check this.

dISEMBOWELMENT: 'Transcendence into the Peripheral' - Good luck trying to find this!

At the Gates: 'The Red in the Sky is Ours'