The collapse of metal is imminent

Emperor Magus Caligula said:
but at the same time their bands are getting much more exposed to more ppl around the world....

I just buyed New Aborted, a band from beligum,if it werent for filesharing I wouldnt even have noticed that this band existed

that's true but the bands are already exposed enough by posting a few mp3's on the band/label website. i've read several interviews with diy label owners saying how their label has suffered because of filesharing.

and i wasn't bashing century media at all. i was just trying to differentiate between the big underground labels and smaller ones which is what i was talking about.

does everyone have their heads up their asses? wes said the following "More Justin Timberlake's will be signed instead of Radiohead's". how does this shit affect metal at all? how much metal was mtv playing 5 years ago? the answer is zero. now after file sharing mtv plays the same amount of metal as before...zero. who gives a shit? its not like atlantic records signed metal bands 5 years ago, so who cares if they sign justin timperlakes instead of radioheads. i sure don't.

I personally cannot stand burnt cds. I have 0 problem paying for a cd. With it comes a nice looking cd, a booklet, a case....I just prefer everything that comes with a cd overrall. Not to mention I feel the bands I listen to should be able to gain every cent possible. Seeing as the majority of them make AT BEST $23,000 a year...It really irks me when someone comes with a cd booklet full of burnt albums they've put together off the internet...that sure as hell should be stopped.

the alumnus said:
does everyone have their heads up their asses? wes said the following "More Justin Timberlake's will be signed instead of Radiohead's". how does this shit affect metal at all? how much metal was mtv playing 5 years ago? the answer is zero. now after file sharing mtv plays the same amount of metal as before...zero. who gives a shit? its not like atlantic records signed metal bands 5 years ago, so who cares if they sign justin timperlakes instead of radioheads. i sure don't.
hmm looks like you're the brown-faced one here, dude. For one, Wes used those two as an example. you can really substitute whatever you want in there. I can say more Slipknots will be signed than Dark Tranquillity's. he was speaking in terms of categories. POP/SUCKY versus ROCK/STILL SUCKY THO in the case of JT vs. Radiohead.

also dude u must not watch MTV late night, cuz they have shows like "All Things Rock" "Headbanger's Ball", and "Extreme Metal" on. Yes, it is late night, but still. HEADBANGER'S BALL was there originally for a good number of years too back in the 80's. they just resently resurrected it (and still did a shitty job, though). Metal WAS on MTV for a time, but now MTV's falsely representing itself cuz they bring in all that 'reality tv' bullshit..... anyway point is dude, metal was there, is still there. BARELY, but still there. I watch Fuse/MuchmusicUSA when I want to see metal cuz they have Uranium on like all the time, with bands like Decapitated, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Chimaira, and all that good stuff.

NocturnalSun said:
hmm looks like you're the brown-faced one here, dude. For one, Wes used those two as an example. you can really substitute whatever you want in there. I can say more Slipknots will be signed than Dark Tranquillity's. he was speaking in terms of categories. POP/SUCKY versus ROCK/STILL SUCKY THO in the case of JT vs. Radiohead.

also dude u must not watch MTV late night, cuz they have shows like "All Things Rock" "Headbanger's Ball", and "Extreme Metal" on. Yes, it is late night, but still. HEADBANGER'S BALL was there originally for a good number of years too back in the 80's. they just resently resurrected it (and still did a shitty job, though). Metal WAS on MTV for a time, but now MTV's falsely representing itself cuz they bring in all that 'reality tv' bullshit..... anyway point is dude, metal was there, is still there. BARELY, but still there. I watch Fuse/MuchmusicUSA when I want to see metal cuz they have Uranium on like all the time, with bands like Decapitated, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Chimaira, and all that good stuff.

those things are on late night on mtv2. i don't have mtv2, i have basic cable. the original headbanger's ball was on until the mid 90's. once it was cancelled there was no more metal on mtv. so my point stands; 5 years ago mtv played zero metal. if anything the evidence you present seems to show a correlary between mp3 filesharing and a rising tide of metal, not falling. at any rate, metal did fine without mtv and corporate radio, and will do fine once they find it more profitable to dump the headbangers ball again.

back to wes' example, it is still fallacious. dark tranquility is a nuclear blast band. nuclear blast is a metal label, therefore there is no ratio of pop to rock on nb. the example wes presented was one of a choice that labels make between commercial and non commercial music. metal label don't make those choices because they sign bands that are metal and by definition not commercial. my point is the same as wes borland's; mp3 filesharing ruins mainstream rock by lowering profit margins on the parent labels, forcing them to sign commerical acts. however, this scenario is not applicable to metal, since the labels that sign bands like linkin park, limp biscuit, and slipknot do not sign metal bands.

hibernal_dream said:
Wrong. The decline of music as a business is imminent. Since music will no longer be profitable, record labels will disintegrate to dust and only the artists dedicated to their art will continue producing music, and thus, no more Justin Timberlakes.

I agree with this way of thinking more. Wes also said Mtv play crap because of file sharing....ok, when has MTV or mainstream radio EVER played good music consistantly? That statement alone makes Wes's rant laughable. I don't think music will die but you may see a few less egomaniac pop and rockstars around. Pretty soon radio will be so full of bland clones that even teeny boppers who refuse to shop anywhere but the nearest mall will realise that stale pop/rock is being crammed down their throats.

That having been said, you should by all means, buy the albums by artist you know deserve it.

Metabop said:
Yeah but that was only one person who said that, the vast majority of those that replied to that thread said they would rather buy the CD.

While I agree with the quote from Wes Borland to a degree it's not the whole picture. The industry is dying because the major labels are run by musical no-it-alls who think they know-what-the-public-wants. They invest massive resources into two dimensional, bubble gum music aimed at 5 to 12 year olds.

This type of music has a short life span. They blow a lot of money on the hype and hope to cream profits off the merchandising. They get it on radio because they pay the advertising budgets of the radio stations.

Virtually everyone I talk to is pissed off with the content on radio, especially here in the UK. The record buying public above the age of 12 are turning to other sources for their records.

Because they aren't investing in decent artists and taking the time to develop them they are dying. It's the same with any business, if you don't actually deliver a good service you eventually go under.

The thing with the internet that is accellerating this death is not so much the illegal downloading (theft) of the music (which I do not condone BTW), that has gone on since the cassette was invented anyway, it is the ease of access to alternative sources of music.

You no longer have to get albums from your local store. An independant label can now set up business on the internet and sell direct to the public. I think that is more of a threat to the majors than anything else, they are being bypassed. And that is why I think metal will NOT die.

Who among you think that a good metal band will not get an album out just because the major labels are gone? That's bullshit, you can't keep good musicians from making music.

They will keep recording albums because it's easy to do that nowdays. You don't need a massive budget to record a good quality album anymore. And if there are good albums there will be independant labels to release them over the internet. And as long as there are places like this forum people can let each other know about it.

Metal, Rock, Jazz etc. none of it's going to go away. Oh except for the above mentioned bubble gum music maybe, I hope that dies with the industry faggots who created it.

ditto. hell, the minute i read this post, i was just at shock on how the message was delivered, fast, effective, and to the point. i'll be the first to admit that i download music and burn them to cd-r's, but of course, that's not gonna stop me from buying the cd itself cuz it makes my room look awesome, plus, i'll end up giving that cd-r to a buddy of mines, and on top of it, the majority of cd's i buy aren't from the riaa at all (except metalblade, relapse, inside out), and the whole alternative sources statement also brings clarity to this ordeal of "stealing" of music. hell, we don't even need kazaa or morpheus or winmx, most indy labels provide a link on their site to download a song or 2 free of charge. hell, that's how arch enemy/century media got me to buy anthems or rebellion (which was wierd for me, but had 3 good songs and that's it).

LuminousAether said:
If musicians cannot make money by making music... GOOD. They shouldn't. That's not a job, that's a hobby. Do something worthwhile, get a fucking job you lazy bums.

Correct. When music is made out of profit-hunger insteat of genuine interest (or hate, love, wanting to express oneself etc) it will most likely turn out as crap anyway. This does not mean I support jewing down albums from the internet instead of buying them, as the people who make music I like are the only ones who really deserve my money. I'm not against listening to downloaded music. If it's good, buy the fucking album.

NB and CM are both pop labels these days, but there are many underground labels that support music with feeling instead of dollar-potential.

Something that struck me as odd, is how some poeple refer to downloading MP3 as stealing money from the record companies. How does that work?
It may not mean much for the RC's, but the point is that MP3 sharing doesn't cost them a single cent. It decreases the sales, but that's a whole other thing.

RC's don't sell music, they sell CD's. Small overpriced plastic discs.

don't get it actually. i can understand that pop, rock and so one lose mony by people only downloading mp3, but METAL? i mean, fuck, most of the bands don't get rich on this, and they do it because they love the music, not to earn money. if they wanted to earn money, there would be no metal. :loco:

And, i think atleast, people that listen to metal are very music intressted (like my self) and take this as a lifestyle. thats the differance between us and ordinary people! :cool:

ok then.. i think the general public here hate Wes's opinion as it 'does not apply to metal' and I'm starting to see that.... thx for opening my eyes a little. That's what forums are for after all... anyway thx yall. sorry 4 all the crap hype about the collapse of metal. I acted quickly once I read that and put it on here without further investigating, I guess.... if nuthin else, I'm 15 years old so there ya go... sry people, can we close this topic or not reply to it anymore? kool

I for one am grateful for the Internet and file sharing. As posted earlier by MRNot, I was in dire straits with metal about 7 years ago. I would go to Sam Goody or Camelot or whatever and pick from what they had on the shelves. Well, most of it was the more popular stuff or nu-metal and I really don't like it. I was kind of lost there for a while because I didn't like any other type of music, nor was I liking anything I heard. I thought metal had died. Well, I finally got online and realized Europe was putting out music too. And metal! The Internet opened the floodgates for me. I was guilty in the Napster days of burning CD's (I worked for 'em though at 56k) but since then, ALL have been purchased. Had I not been able to hear any of these bands via file sharing, I really don't know where the hell I would be.

As for the collapse of metal, I personally feel that it is stronger than ever. Maybe I wasn't attuned to the market back in the 80's but from my vantage point, it seems to be flourishing. Even one of the monkey's at MTV saw this and decided to resurrect Headbanger's Ball. It's not the best show but hey, the word's getting out. That's what matters.

NocturnalSun said:
ok then.. i think the general public here hate Wes's opinion as it 'does not apply to metal' and I'm starting to see that.... thx for opening my eyes a little. That's what forums are for after all... anyway thx yall. sorry 4 all the crap hype about the collapse of metal. I acted quickly once I read that and put it on here without further investigating, I guess.... if nuthin else, I'm 15 years old so there ya go... sry people, can we close this topic or not reply to it anymore? kool

No need to be sorry. It started an interesting thread.

Also your age has nothing to do with your maturity. There are people decades older than you with half the grace.

NocturnalSun said:
if nuthin else, I'm 15 years old so there ya go... sry people, can we close this topic or not reply to it anymore? kool
Nothing at all to apologize for, nor shut off discussion.. It was a valid post about an important topic and one "celebrity" gave you his take on it. Your sharing of that gave the rest of us a chance to debate. That's what we're here for. And, sure, you may be 15, but you're openminded beyond your years, and you're investigating things in a way more of the youth *need* to nowadays. Hell, unless more of the younger generation get out from in front of their PS2s & xBox's and realize their perceptions are being controlled & manipulated for the profit of a small collection of very wealthy and a-moral corporate muckety-mucks, we're going to be in dire straits when they are of age to begin taking over the government. (yes, I know adults are probably playing more PS2 & xBox, but they usually approach it from the enlightenment of years of growing up with nothing but Pong & Mario Bros. as -occasional- diversions.. They've done all their perceptual development on what's real and what's fantasy. They are hopefully less likely to lose touch with reasonable priorities at this stage)

Metabop: Awesome, awesome post.

The reasons music sales are declining are indeed due to labels not wanting to invest in long term talent AND lower number of album releases. Recently there was a study done that showed the RIAA's claim that file sharing was killing record sales to be a bunch of steaming toss. The RIAA claimed that sales were down something like 11 percent since 1999 or something, but the amount of albums MADE since that time ALSO decreased a great deal. The final numbers were that if the RIAA had made the same amount of albums today as they made in 1999 and those missing albums only sold 3000 copies each (VERY low amount from a major label release) then record sales would be up today. Do some research this is a stone cold fact.

I don't want to buy CDs. Period. I only want digital music that I can do with as I please. I want to burn my own mp3 compilation CDs to play in my car Mp3 player, I want to load mp3s onto my portable mp3 player, and most of all I want the mp3s on my computer to listen to while I work because most of my work is on computers. If they sell me mp3s OF THE BANDS I WANT, then I'll buy them. Otherwise, tough shit, I don't want your product.

i dont see the harm in downloading music, its very hard to get good shit in these "music" stores" and if you find something that might be what you like and you buy it and it sucks, guess what? you cant do anything about it. now im not positive about the rest of the country but down here the stores dont let you return cds so you lose $20, maybe they should drop the fucking price tag a bit b/c $60 for 3 cds is not a good deal.

i wish these greedy fucks would stop this "music business" shit. i dont think music was ever supposed to be a business, but oh well this is what the RIAA has turned it into.