Future of Music

:lol: Why did this thread turn into a survey of who downloads music? Come on people, do we need to flood threads with 4 pages of off-topic content-free posts?

Anyway, in reply to the original post:

Music existed and thrived before the music industry existed, I would assume it will survive just fine after the music industry is gone. If anything it will improve as pop music probably will cease to exist when it is no longer profitable.

Edit: woah, this is an old-ass thread. Things don't change much over the years I guess.

I buy all my shit now.

I usually just special order my shit from a store down the street that sells used CDs/DVDs

I can get anything still in print. Better than FYE who doesn't have the interface capabilities (or MRP systems) to know if they have a certain album in their warehouse. Fucking retards.

Here is an idea...

Fuck the record companies, all real bands should diy everything. If they are good enough then they will survive.

If the diy theory worked properly, record companies would crumble and there would be a lot let inane generic "entertainers" in the music industry.

The only real need for a big label is for the money up front to record(heres a hint, play heaps of shows get people to them, sell merch) you can pay for your own record, the part that I think labels do well with is distro and advertising/market research. If labels turned into distro's I would be happy. /rant

I think that discussing the future of music that is creative is more important. Will there every be another Beatles?. God what i would give to live in the 60's.

TO MEGADUDE-Record Labels are good. If your trying to explain all the MTV bands then yes blame THE MAJOR labels. Not labels like southern lord or the end records. Record labels provide us with the cool packing of our cds,the concerts we see so if you call record labels stupid you are stupid. Can you tell me how a band can even get a start if they probloly can not pay for 5000-10000 pressed cds?

I buy all my shit now.

I usually just special order my shit from a store down the street that sells used CDs/DVDs

I can get anything still in print. Better than FYE who doesn't have the interface capabilities (or MRP systems) to know if they have a certain album in their warehouse. Fucking retards.

I like fye even though they never carry the new jesu record.

Can you tell me how a band can even get a start if they probloly can not pay for 5000-10000 pressed cds?
Distribute their music for virtually no cost online? Unless you mean get a start financially. Anyway, record labels suck.

We worked our way up from east end pubs
To gigs and back stage passes
Ex-boxing champs, West end clubs
Americans in dark glasses
Driving ten grand cars, they drink in hotel bars
They're even making money in bed
They wouldn't be no loss, they aint worth a toss
It's about time they all dropped dead.

Take 'em all, take 'em all
Put 'em up against a wall and shoot 'em
Short and tall, watch 'em fall
Come on boys take 'em all

Well tough shit boys, it aint our fault
Your record didn't make it
We made you dance, you had your chance
But you didn't take it
Well, I gotta go make another deal
Sign another group for the company
I don't suppose we'll ever meet again
You'd better get back to the factory.

Take 'em all, watch 'em fall

:kickass:

5000-10000? what the fuck quantities do you think underground music sells in?

Music existed and thrived before the music industry existed, I would assume it will survive just fine after the music industry is gone. If anything it will improve as pop music probably will cease to exist when it is no longer profitable.

i dont know, pop music is essentially the folk music of our time. you would almost certainly see more variety in styles of pop music though... i guess if you're simply referring to top 40 stuff, you may be right.

I'm an example of someone who is benefiting the music industry by downloading. Before downloading I didn't listen to music nor did I own a single CD, the mainstream shit just didn't appeal to me and I had no way of exploring other genres. Since downloading I'm now a big music fan, and although I've only been able to get 5-6 CDs so far it's still more than I'd have bought without music downloading. And when I finally have a job I intend to by a shit load of CDs.

Theres more to owning a CD than just owning the CD. There are loads of problems I get from downloading. With some of the really obscure music I'm into, sometimes it takes me 3 hours of re-searching to get songs from a band, and certain bands I can't even find for download. Constantly I get songs with mislabeled names, or worse mislabeled bands. Don't even get me started on mislabeled genres. I get lots of songs with glitches where the sound will die in parts, or just the sound quality is complete shit. Certain songs on my ipod get played about twice as loud as the rest of my music (which hurts like hell considering how loud I usually listen to music). Honestly I can't wait to start buying CDs.

That brings me to a question about downloading, every time I download the Type O Negative song "I Don't Want to Be Me" it has an advertisement over the end. Was that on the CD or something because I cannot find a clean version of the song no matter how much I look, except the music video on youtube. I tried ripping it, but the sound quality was shit.

Distribute their music for virtually no cost online? Unless you mean get a start financially. Anyway, record labels suck.

We worked our way up from east end pubs
To gigs and back stage passes
Ex-boxing champs, West end clubs
Americans in dark glasses
Driving ten grand cars, they drink in hotel bars
They're even making money in bed
They wouldn't be no loss, they aint worth a toss
It's about time they all dropped dead.

Take 'em all, take 'em all
Put 'em up against a wall and shoot 'em
Short and tall, watch 'em fall
Come on boys take 'em all

Well tough shit boys, it aint our fault
Your record didn't make it
We made you dance, you had your chance
But you didn't take it
Well, I gotta go make another deal
Sign another group for the company
I don't suppose we'll ever meet again
You'd better get back to the factory.

Take 'em all, watch 'em fall

:kickass:

Record labels dont suck. You would not been listioning to any or most of the bands in your sig becuase they would not be marketed or distributed right.

I also need to have the physical disc with me to really get into the cd. I like my ipod and my laptop when i am traviling and i want to listion to differnt songs from differnt bands. I like to force my self to listion to a whole album. I would never had gotten into boris,jesu,sunn 0))),blut aus nord and darkthrone if I had not had the discs.

I think that discussing the future of music that is creative is more important. Will there every be another Beatles?. God what i would give to live in the 60's.

TO MEGADUDE-Record Labels are good. If your trying to explain all the MTV bands then yes blame THE MAJOR labels. Not labels like southern lord or the end records. Record labels provide us with the cool packing of our cds,the concerts we see so if you call record labels stupid you are stupid. Can you tell me how a band can even get a start if they probloly can not pay for 5000-10000 pressed cds?

It was in reference to the big labels that "produce" "pop" "acts", labels like Relapse, The End, Southern Lord etc fund bands to do what they want and not run the band as a complete brand.

i dont know, pop music is essentially the folk music of our time. you would almost certainly see more variety in styles of pop music though... i guess if you're simply referring to top 40 stuff, you may be right.
Popular music is distinct from folk music in a number of ways; popular music is a product disseminated through mass media while folk music is music that was spread orally amongst the common people. Folk music was an important part of local cultures, telling stories of the past and what have you. Popular music is quite different, the demand for it is artificially created by the music industry - there is no popular music without an industry to create and distribute it. I believe that without a music industry, the general demand for music would decline as the average person would seek entertainment from other media that are more heavily promoted through mass media.

Alter said:
Record labels dont suck. You would not been listioning to any or most of the bands in your sig becuase they would not be marketed or distributed right.
Most, if not all of those bands are ones that I have come across by word of mouth or chance alone. I have never seen an advertisement or heard radio play for Thy Catafalque, Whitehouse or Heitor Villa-Lobos - without record labels to promote music, word of mouth allows good bands to get exposure. Think of tape trading, downloading, etc.