The collapse of metal is imminent

Because cd's are so ridiculously expensive these days, people, especially young people, don't have the exposable income to spend on music by artists they haven't heard. Thus, file-sharing has become an effective way for people to sample new artists before making a financial commitment. I can't tell you the number of times I have heard of a band online or in a magazine, downloaded 3-4 mp3's, and liked them gone out to buy their catalog. However, file-sharing can be blatantly abused. I know people with 1000+ mp3's whose entire cd collections are burned.

Solution? If the recording industry makes a commitement to lowering the prices of cd's to the $7.99 to $9.99 price range and giving people an incentive (ie. bonus cd or dvd, liner notes). Or the file-sharing programs can limit the number of daily/weekly/monthly downloads one has.

i don't download cds i buy them that gives me enuf time to consider the album stupid and get more money.because the albums i like cost like 18.00 and i am 14. i don't get allowance. so, therefore i can't rase money very esaly

Bahahah, envy me, I get vinyls like Priest and Sabbath and Nugent for 50 cents or a dollar and metal CD's for 1-5$. Stuff like Burial, Valhalla, Crystal Age, Exhumed, Arcturus, Ulver and so on.

File sharing limitations won't work, they will just make a different one with no limits, the people who don't want them.

Look at Kazaa, they try to make it a pay service and no ads and all this shit when people go out and make k lite ++ which is far more advanced and has no spyware in it.

I say prices are pretty fucking inflated but I don't care, most the albums I buy are at the prices listed above, and when I want a newer album I can usually find it for about 10$, which isn't horrible.

i'm one of those people that downloads a lot of music but i also buy a lot. i usually buy probably 8+ cds a month.

i saw a pole awhile ago about people who use the file sharing programs. most of the people who DL music actually said they buy more stuff because of it. the people who never DL anything were in the minority when it comes to buying music.

i think a lot of it comes down to the fact that people may be starting to get sick of the crap that is on radio and mtv today.

Generation_Speedkill said:
Because cd's are so ridiculously expensive these days

and thats because shops are marking their prices up by 300%. if anything its the artists/record labels suffering from low sales due to mark-ups rather than rampant downloading over the internet.

especially the big time record company/corporates, when sales are down, and downloading are on the rise, what do they do? mark up the price of the cds even further!

fvcking stvpid the mvsic indvstry if yov ask me

I own:

Agalloch - The Mantle
Enslaved - Below the Lights
Tool - Lateralus, Opiate, and Aenima
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Opeth - Deliverance, Blackwater Park
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness

... and 1300 mp3's.

Anyway, once I get some $$$ and am out on my own (16 yrs old now), I probably will buy more CD's.

Ginja_Ninja said:
and thats because shops are marking their prices up by 300%. if anything its the artists/record labels suffering from low sales due to mark-ups rather than rampant downloading over the internet.

especially the big time record company/corporates, when sales are down, and downloading are on the rise, what do they do? mark up the price of the cds even further!

fvcking stvpid the mvsic indvstry if yov ask me
True that man. CD's are so damn expensive. Just to get a single with 4 songs on it costs almost 10 dollars. If you buy CD's online you can get them for like 8-10 dollars (full length CD's). Dispite the fact that they are expensive, I buy anyways...I can't help but feel like I'm screwing a band over if I don't.

Pretty awesome collection ffanatic. You've got like twice as many CD's as me.

Your collection deperately needs some Sepultura.

I haven't read the whole topic because the pages load so slowly so this might have been said already, but...

This Wes guy has a point, but in reality, what he talks about are bands as big as Limp Bizkit and those other jerks. Who cares if for instance Opeth doesn't become as big as them?

And: couldn't it be that he has been instructed by his label to say this?

The real issue here is that THE LABELS ARE TOO GREEDY! They have sold overprized music for years and years and now they are afraid that they will have to lower (=normalize) their prices too make people want to pay for their products. That's what we should concentrate about. If people continue to download instead of buying the CDs, the prices must be lowered. Then OF COURSE people will rather buy the CDs than download the music.

Even I will do that! I like so many music styles that I would have to spend millions to get all the music I want hehehe... But I download from legal websites and I pay for it so I don't feel like a terrible person anyway :Spin:

Ginja_Ninja said:
and thats because shops are marking their prices up by 300%.
I'm sorry but thats absolutely laughable. cd's have always been, and still are 12-18 dollars. 300%? that would mean cd's would be about $60 right now.

whatever, if its a band like Linkin Park who are obviously rich and don't need the money, i don't give a fuck if someone downloads instead of buys, but especially in the underground metal cd's you should always support the band, they need it.... its getting harder and harder for bands to make it. And even if the artists only get $1 per cd or whatever everyone says, the higher the cd sales are, the more the label will support the band. thats what they do, its their job.