The creepiest metal riffs

ihatedeathcore

New Metal Member
Sep 28, 2009
What are in your opinion the most creepy/ominous/"haunting" riffs? I just thought of this as some variation to the purely heavy and headbangable stuff. By "creepy" I don't necessarily mean that you literally shit your pants every time you hear them.

I would draw the line between creepy and not creepy something like this:

Creepy:
South of Heaven-Slayer
The Call of Ktulu-Metallica
After all (the dead)-Black Sabbath
Angry Chair-Alice in Chains
213-Slayer
Oops!... I Did It Again-Britney Spears (jk)

Not:
Electric funeral-Black Sabbath
Dead Skin Mask-Slayer
Seasons In The Abyss-Slayer
All Nightmare Long-Metallica

And any post mentioning Cradle of Filth or Led Zeppelin will be considered a joke.

judging by his post i dont think the OP is at the "shit your pants BM creepiness" level yet, so here are some non-BM, fairly creepy, but definitely badass examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
And any post mentioning Cradle of Filth or Led Zeppelin will be considered a joke.

Actually, I remember a pretty creepy instrumental tune from "Dusk and her embrace" that was pretty great :)

Allthough my official nominée would be Black Sabbaths self titled title track of their first album. Very, very, very good and has creepy feeling to it. The riff that follows may also be one of the best riffs I have ever heard period!

those Blut Aus Nord songs are hella creepy though, i like em

Just listened to my favorite death metal album of 2009 and Ulcerate's song "Tyranny", particularly the opening riff, belongs here as well.

They don't have it on Youtube, though. If I recall correctly, it's on their Myspace.

Basically any of the less intense, more atmospheric riffs off of TWWTG and to a lesser extent, Fas.