The "Education" Thread

You guys never been in that situation where a dude walks up to you and starts to rap or something stupid and then asks for money and then he proceeds to demand you that you give him some money for his service?

I've been in a situation where someone asks me for money and I've told him that I have no spare change

You guys never been in that situation where a dude walks up to you and starts to rap or something stupid and then asks for money and then he proceeds to demand you that you give him some money for his service?

Half the time I don't "have any cash" and the other half I give a dollar or two. Depends on which mode of exit I assess to be the quickest. But this is extremely rare. I might be out $100 in my life for this sort of thing and half of it was to a guy with veteran ID purportedly needing money for a wrecker in the desert. I'm sure you're crying about the beer you could have bought with $50.

Reactions: The Ozzman
bridgesein.jpg

Reactions: unknown
If someone tried to mug me I would beat the fuckin shit out of them so bad they would regret it. After I got done with them.

I'm not going to be giving money to fucking strangers? "Why don't you give them a few coins, be charitable?", you may ask. Well, it's a matter of principle.

If someone tried to mug me, they would be in big trouble. I always carry a knife just in case of a stranger walking up to me trying something funny. I don't know that I'd ever want a gun though, as I don't think I'd trust myself with one. On one hand, the peace of mind would be great, but the piece of my mind laying on the floor after my head got blown off wouldn't. Most people who mug people don't have a gun anyways.

This thread reminded me of something that happened a few days ago. Black man, doughboy physique, balding (not shaved), wearing some kind of autistic black suit thing, thick-rimmed glasses (not hipster-chic just nerdy), dragging one of those children's roller-backpacks behind him, clear expression of depression on his face. In the most timid voice you can imagine, he asks me "Could you spare a coin, good sir?" and holds out his free hand limply. I said sorry. Of all the beggars I've seen he looked like the least likely to be poor purely on the surface, yet despite that I probably feel worse for him than any other one I've seen. Unless he had a hidden camera and was making some kind of political statement to post on YouTube or something. That was my initial thought, but I couldn't find one on him, and it was out in the open with seemingly no one else around.

All dat Hamm's to drink and shitty Seinfeld to watch

I don't know of any shitty Seinfeld. You must live in one of those alternate universes where, instead of ending after nine seasons, the showrunners were forced to continue the series to this day, thus shambling on as an empty husk of its former, vibrant self. Only then could I imagine the show becoming shitty.

I don't know of any shitty Seinfeld. You must live in one of those alternate universes where, instead of ending after nine seasons, the showrunners were forced to continue the series to this day, thus shambling on as an empty husk of its former, vibrant self. Only then could I imagine the show becoming shitty.

I'll rephrase: Seinfeld wasn't shitty until every third post here became a Seinfeld reference somehow

Couple of weeks late posting, but whatever. Commencement was a cluster fuck because rain moved the event indoors. Pelosi was our commencement speaker. Half way through her speech, family members who couldn't get into the ceremony because the room was at capacity started getting rowdy and the police had to barricade the doors. Then the crowd and students booed the university president when he told everybody to calm down. Also, HBCU commencements are weird. For one it was super religious (which isn't allowed, but, you know). As well, it had more of the feel of a celebration than a formal ceremony--students would get out of their seats and walk over to family members, and there wasn't a moment in which a solid eighth of the crowd wasn't talking or yelling across the auditorium at somebody they knew. Oh and it was painfully long at 4 hours.

Here's Waldo:

And the handshake:

I'm looking forward to Syracuse next semester, but god am I dreading the impending sub-zero temperatures.

Reactions: unknown and Baroque
Received an acceptance, contingent upon revisions, for an essay I submitted to Modern Fiction Studies. This is a major literary journal, one of the biggest for twentieth-century literature published in English. My goal has been to land something in a top-tier journal with time for it to appear in print before my final year in the doctoral program. Fingers crossed, but excited nonetheless.

Reactions: Dak and unknown
Thanks! It's a communications-theory reading of Gravity's Rainbow, kind of a spin on the more common media-theory readings. In short, arguing that the text offers a complex depiction of human existence within modern communications systems.

You went to a black university? Interesting. Props. What led to that decision though?

My decision was purely financial. I received a tuition scholarship from the university (because of my CC GPA, not because I am white). As a matter of fact, my main advisers from CC advised me to go anywhere else other than an HBCU. Like, they explicitly said to go anywhere else. To be clear, their concerns weren't merely related to the fact of the HBCU itself, though it was undeniably a factor, but also because most HBCUs across the country don't perform or instruct at the caliber of, say, a top 150 national university, or even a decent regional college. There's a number of reasons for why this is the case, such as historically minimal state funding and the unintended consequences of integration. But I didn't heed their advice because I was concerned about debt. I won't lie about the fact that the initial HBCU experience was like getting thrown into a very cold pool, but, reflecting now, I'm glad that I went there instead of a historically white institution.

Does graduating from an HBCU mean you are now officially allowed to say "nigga"?

Haha, if anything going there probably made me less inclined to do so.

Reactions: Baroque
My decision was purely financial. I received a tuition scholarship from the university (because of my CC GPA, not because I am white). As a matter of fact, my main advisers from CC advised me to go anywhere else other than an HBCU. Like, they explicitly said to go anywhere else. To be clear, their concerns weren't merely related to the fact of the HBCU itself, though it was undeniably a factor, but also because most HBCUs across the country don't perform or instruct at the caliber of, say, a top 150 national university, or even a decent regional college. There's a number of reasons for why this is the case, such as historically minimal state funding and the unintended consequences of integration. But I didn't heed their advice because I was concerned about debt. I won't lie about the fact that the initial HBCU experience was like getting thrown into a very cold pool, but, reflecting now, I'm glad that I went there instead of a historically white institution.

Did they serve a lot of soul food in the dining hall? Maybe that's the reason you had a heart attack.