The "Education" Thread

I wonder how many of these kids would even be able to afford free college. It still costs a fucking lot just to live, to pay your rent, utilities, buy food, get gas, etc etc. All of that's not going to be free with free college, a bunch of kids will still just live at home or find excuses not to go, or excuses for why they're failing.

Reactions: zerostatic and Dak
I always found excuses prior to my stint in the Marines. Not to say that the military helps everyone, but it helped me. Part of what formulated a change of discern in me was realizing that no one was "getting ahead" by being a fucking slacker. Like, you might get where I get at some point in some thing with less effort, but that would be more by chance, and certainly not true across the board. Most slacking just gets you exactly what you already have, if even that. Plus "practice like you want to play". Behavioral psych principles suggest that, contrary to some assertions, you cannot "turn it on when it counts". You have to make hard work and excellence habitual.

Bottom line: You get what you pay (put out) for.

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
Earlier today I was thinking, I probably think like a military person without ever having been in the military, just due to self discipline. I at least have some of the same life outlooks. Not all civilians are lazy but it's rare to find one with strong self discipline. It can come from being a dedicated academic (straight A student) or a religious nut too I guess.

Reactions: Dak
All 86 of my sophomores passed English. This isn't a softball class by any stretch of the imagination, so the grade really means something. I did have two fails in my philosophy elective, both students who I allowed to transfer in second semster. Huge mistake I will not make again next year. They just weren't able to adjust to the workload or level of rigor.

Overall, I feel really good about my progress as a teacher this year. I think my writing instruction became much clearer, and my processing activities were far more effective in preparing students for the big essays. In both my English and philosophy classes I did shared-inquiries (text based discussions) year round. It was amazing to see where the kids were at by the end of the year, especially the philosophy students, who were off the hook. It was great to hear so many introverted and shy students say they learned their voice mattered or to have more confidence in themselves. I also had next to no classroom management issues this year, which definitely wasn't true last year. I think my expectations were very clear from day one and students responded. That really allowed me to focus on honing my instruction and putting my extra enegry inti helping struggling students, rather than having to put out fires.

Now I'm ready for a few well earned weeks of beer, novels and Euro Cup.

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
I think this thread should be hijacked to work as a part-time 'career advancement' help desk. Considering how many professors are regulars, and general other folk who've gotten far in life.

Anyways I've settled on my A+ and Sec+ certifications. Both expensive, rather not pay twice, so I'll need to study. I've been listening almost exclusively to professor messer the last few days, and have a cute little comptia mock test app, but I'd like to find more interactive resources. 'Games', if you will.

Anyone know any IT educational games or apps? Particularly regarding hardware, which is my weakest area.

Had my first lab meeting, getting a jump on things even though school is still a little under two months out. I've worked my ass off into probably as a good a situation as I can get into as a person who will work their ass off in my field. Sort of top of the ground floor and non-micromanaged and all that. I finally feel like I'm working with peers and/or mentors.

Reactions: Einherjar86
Looks like I might be taking the GRE, how many of you guys have taken it? Did you spend a long time studying it?

I took it, spent a couple hours here and there, and then the full day before the test. I recommend flash cards for the vocabulary (important) and idk on the math (I'm a math major so I didn't need to spend a lot of time on that). A book helps point out the ways they try and trick you, and they do.

Looking at starting an MSc in computer science next year. But where to apply. Definitely the sort of decisions best considered whilst intoxicated.

Looks like I might be taking the GRE, how many of you guys have taken it? Did you spend a long time studying it?

I spent a lot of time studying, but I tend to have a difficult time concentrating on analytic problems, and the GRE is steep with those.

I took it the first time on a whim, barely studied, and did very poorly. It is definitely an exam you need to prepare for. If you think that doing well on it is going to be a significant factor in your career plans, then I recommend biting the bullet and buying a study guide. I went for a Barron's, and I thought it helped a bunch - the version I bought included five sample exams with answers. For me, personally, the best way to study was to take as many sample exams as I could. My score improved every time.

I took it, spent a couple hours here and there, and then the full day before the test. I recommend flash cards for the vocabulary (important) and idk on the math (I'm a math major so I didn't need to spend a lot of time on that). A book helps point out the ways they try and trick you, and they do.

I also second flash cards for the vocab. The GRE likes to go for slightly obscure words, so you just have to memorize them.

Reactions: Baroque
An item was on tv today about degrees have had their day. An apprenticeship, apparently will earn a person a lot more money over a lifetime than a degree.

I spent a lot of time studying, but I tend to have a difficult time concentrating on analytic problems, and the GRE is steep with those.

I took it the first time on a whim, barely studied, and did very poorly. It is definitely an exam you need to prepare for. If you think that doing well on it is going to be a significant factor in your career plans, then I recommend biting the bullet and buying a study guide. I went for a Barron's, and I thought it helped a bunch - the version I bought included five sample exams with answers. For me, personally, the best way to study was to take as many sample exams as I could. My score improved every time.

I also second flash cards for the vocab. The GRE likes to go for slightly obscure words, so you just have to memorize them.

Thanks. Dicked around today and answered some math and reading questions and kind of getting my head into it. NYS just made it a requirement for teachers to take the GRE now, even for the 1 year cert, so I think that's my best career path at this point.

Most guides are around 40$ so not too bad, thinking about taking it in early/mid September for the Spring semester.

I didn't buy a study guide, dicked around here and there with some free online stuff. Religiously took the 2 free tests available via the .exe iirc from the GRE company site ("Power Prep II Software") for like 2 weeks. Those tests did not in any way mimic the actual test in terms of question content, but the score it gives you is pretty damn close to what you will actually score - from my experience anyway. Scored 152 on the quant and 170 on the verbals (actual), which was slightly worse on the quant than I practiced and slightly better on the verbals than I practiced. Part of my issue on the quantitative was the proctors fucking screwing me over. I finished my verbals with tons of time to spare (like 10+ mins) - which they fucking clicked through and insisted on starting my qual timers before letting me go to the restroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: rms
Definitely pick up one of the guides. I doubt that choosing one over the other would greatly increase or decrease your score.

Putting in a fair amount of study during the weeks leading up to taking the test is definitely important and can greatly improve your score. Just remember that after you hit a certain number of hours of studying, your improvements will diminish. I wish my adviser from undergraduate had referred me to the specific study (it had slipped his mind), but, as he recalled, students who put in 20 hours worth of studying in the weeks leading up to the test saw significant improvements in their scores. In order to see significant improvement upon that benchmark, students would have to put in some 10 times the amount of hours, and even then the improvements were often rather minimal.

No doubt, the 20-30 hours I put in helped my analytic score drastically because I'm a history major and am uninterested in math, so reviewing refreshed me on what I already knew. On math concepts I was unfamiliar with, I just had to eat the losses (because of the fact that I took the GRE to get into history graduate programs, I wasn't too concerned about that).

With the verbal, you can only do so much to widen your vocabulary, such as the flash card technique, mentioned by Baroque. This, of course, is time intensive, so however much time you wish to spend on it, do what you will. The more important part, in my opinion, is familiarizing yourself with the types of questions that will be presented to you, otherwise you may answer incorrectly questions because of the tricky ways in which they're presented.

For the analytic section: practice writing the essays in the EXACT format laid out in the guides! I consider myself fairly competent at writing and I received a 4.0 out of 6 because I missed some little whatever extrapolation, which the practice guide had mentioned. I recalled it after I finished the exam, cursed myself for it, and the test results verified what I had feared. If I recall correctly, I believe Dak nailed the verbal with a perfect 170, but then got a 4.0 on the essay for a similar reason.

Standardized tests are supposed to be able to divide people on the basis of competency regardless of how much somebody has studied, and indeed they're often effective at doing just that. A friend of mine studied endlessly for the LSAT and could not score well on it no matter the amount of time she devoted to practice. Nonetheless, you can score to the highest of your potential if you're familiar with everything that will be asked of you, and that's where the importance of at least a bare minimum of studying comes in.

Reactions: rms
I don't think I made real mistakes on the essays. I received cash awards/awards and A/honor grades on my papers in school, was told I was past Master's level work on my senior thesis by my 3rd party reader, and of course had the 170 on verbals on the GRE. Either the graders on my essays were at fault or their rubric is "problematic". If the graders had a lower score on the verbals than I do "they don't rate".

I don't think I made real mistakes on the essays. I received cash awards/awards and A/honor grades on my papers in school, was told I was past Master's level work on my senior thesis by my 3rd party reader, and of course had the 170 on verbals on the GRE.

My smarts is something I know I am good in. I have tested 1000 exams in every subject imaginable. I have measured my brain, my thoughts - IQ etc..... I have studied what makes people intelligent.