The Fourth Kind

I guess everyone involved just completely disregarded the theory of relativity and how it makes interstellar travel not only nearly impossible, but highly impractical.

Damned science!

Offcourse, if you would say that physical interstellar travel is nearly impossible, i wouldn't go against that.

But this movie is based on abduction on a spiritual level, offcourse there are many theories about astral travel, so why wouldn't it be possible (if we accept the fact that if there even is a soul, it can be seperated from the physical body) for this to happen, i mean: how weak humanity is, mentally, how mentally crippled modern man really is, i wouldn't have a argument why then a more intelligent being wouldnt be able to capture someone's mind, to put it simply.

;)

Then again:

Lots of ancient Sumer/Babylonian tablets/scrolls and writings tell stories about the Annunaki(an alien, creator-race)/skywatchers/ mating with certain humans, resulting in (bible?/and all other major sungod religions) the nephilim, which would be the hosts for the Annunaki to come into our reality, because obviously their reality/freq. would be a lot higher.

Also, in DMT trips, when you inhale large dosis of Dimethyltryptamine(which is the chemical released in even higher dosis by your brain, during physical human death) it is reknown for it's effects, or shall i quote:

Ben’s non-blind, low-dose DMT session was
relatively powerful. His high sensitivity to DMT warned us
that the next day probably would be one of the biggest
psychedelic experiences of his life. I told him to be ready.
While a little nervous the next day, Ben was eager for his
non-blind high dose to begin. I spent a little more time than
usual getting him ready, advising him to try and take some
big deep breaths as the DMT went in: “You may take in a
breath and have that be the last thing you remember; you
may not even notice the out-breath. That means you’re
there.”
Ben tried to breathe deeply as the drug was going in. Then
his breathing settled down as he obviously fell under the influence
of the drug. His heart beat visibly in his chest. At
about 3 minutes, his neck showed some hives, something
that had also happened to several other volunteers who had
truly astonishing stories to tell us later.
At 8 minutes, several total body spasms occurred, and he
cleared his throat. It was time to try and ground him. “We’re
going to put a blanket on you. Try to breathe into that
tension if you can.”

He slowed his breathing and starting calming down, a big
smile on his face. He stayed silent for 36 minutes, longer than
most of our volunteers, before I felt the urge to rouse him:
“It started with a sound. It was high-pitched like a tightly
taut wire. There were four or five of them. They were on me
fast. As crazy as this sounds, they looked like saguaro cactus,
very Peruvian in color. They were flexible, fluid, geometrical
cacti. Not solid. They weren’t benevolent but they
weren’t non-benevolent. They probed, they really probed.
They seemed to know time was limited. They wanted to know
what I, this being who had shown up, was doing. I didn’t
answer. They knew. Once they decided I was okay, they went
about their business.”
His eyes were open, glazed, staring at the ceiling. He seemed
unable to grasp what he had just undergone. “I know. It
sounds incredible to you. To us, too, but it happens.” Haltingly,
as if he weren’t really sure he wanted to tell us:
“I felt like something was inserted into my left forearm, right
here, about three inches below this chain-link tattoo on my
wrist. It was long. There were no reassurances with the probe.
Simply business.”
Laura asked, “Was there any fear?”
“Maybe at the onset, at just having my ego brushed aside.
When they were on me, there was a little bit more confusion
than fear. Kind of like, ‘Hey! What’s this?!’

There are surprising and remarkable consistencies among
volunteers’ reports of contact with nonmaterial beings.
Sound and vibration build until the scene almost explosively
shifts to an “alien” realm. Volunteers find themselves on a
bed or in a landing bay, research environment, or high-technology
room. The highly intelligent beings of this “other”
world are interested in the subject, seemingly ready for his
or her arrival and wasting no time in “getting to work.” There
might be one particular being clearly in charge, directing the
others. Volunteers frequently comment about the emotional
quality of the relationships: loving, caring, or professionally
detached.

A Little outtake from the book: DMT: the spirit molecule.

:zombie:

If aliens are abducting folks and then running tests on them, it seems to me that the most logical explanation is that they are our descendants, here from the future, or perhaps an alternate universe.

My guess it that aliens with superior technology would either:
(A) enslave us
(B) stay the fuck away from us

Regarding 'Fire In The Sky', I just watched it last night after having heard alot about for so long. Not to mention it is apparently Peter Tägtgrens favorite movie, so I though it would be cool to check out.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

The only scene that was worth while was the scene on the space ship, that was really fucking cool and really scary. But the rest of the movie was just a giant build up to it, and then in the end nothing fucking happened. While I will agree that it was a good movie, I guess I was just dissapointed in the lack of any sort of "ending" and that the actual abduction/aliens were such a small part of the movie.

END SPOILERS

Yeah I watched fire in the sky movie because of this thread.
Well it was boring, I'm agree with you that the only good scene is the one you're talking about, the rest is pure boring shit ;)
I still think the cartman abduction is the best in the whole cinema history to date.

Alien abduction has always freaked me the fuck out as well. Definitely lost some sleep over "Fire in the Sky" as a kid as well. I am nowhere near believeing that abductions exist 100%, and do believe that a lot of the cases are attributed to sleep paralysis.

However, when the dudes involved in the Walton case (what "Fire" is based off of) pass two lie detector tests, it makes one think. The unknown in this case is the most frightening part. I'm sure "The Fourth Kind" will be an ok movie, but given the quality of movies nowadays, I'm not expecting much.

Oh, and you guys should READ "Communion..." I still haven't made it all the way through. It's funny, you should check out the amazon reviews. That book seriously fucked with some people.

Oh and Tom from Evergrey used it as a basis for the "In Search of Truth" album, so it is made of extra win!

-Joe

But this movie is based on abduction on a spiritual level, offcourse there are many theories about astral travel, so why wouldn't it be possible (if we accept the fact that if there even is a soul, it can be seperated from the physical body) for this to happen, i mean: how weak humanity is, mentally, how mentally crippled modern man really is, i wouldn't have a argument why then a more intelligent being wouldnt be able to capture someone's mind, to put it simply.....

What evidence is there for a "soul" being able to be separated from the body? That's a huge "if", too large to ignore.

This is all just fantasizing, plain and simple, and if anything paints a picture of a "mentally crippled" modern man, it's the fact that such a large number of us readily accept it.

It has been put forth in several instances that the evolutionary history of consciousness involved the development and subsequent refinery of the ability to mentally simulate our environment. It allowed for making decisions and interacting with things on a whole new level, and was certainly critical for ongoing survival in a world that was growing more complex and more dangerous through the ages. Dawkins said, "Perhaps consciousness arises when the brain's simulation of the world becomes so complete that it must include a model of itself". I always appreciated that quote.
Our simulation abilities are second to none. We can simulate scenarios in our own minds that are real enough to elicit instinctive physical responses. Think about sex hard enough and what happens? People don't appreciate the significance of such a thing. Furthermore, how often do the lines between our dreams and our memories become blurred? If you're like me, it happens more than you care to admit.

All I'm saying is that the human mind is an extremely powerful thing, and where fantastic, evidentiary challenged, and particularly spooky stories are involved....check there first.

NSFW warning would be nice...

Sorry dude. :erk: I usually do but lately NSFW "tagging" has been ignored, just look in the boobs thread. Started off safe for work and with out warning boobs, assholes and vaginas appeared. I'll try and remember next time and will edit the link. (even tho it's been quoted already)

The main reason i don't believe in alien abductions is the fact that most of the stories really depict very human activities with wierd visuals. I'm with douglas adams and super-intelligent shades of the colour blue. Why the hell do we insist on imagining little green men!