The Gaming Thread

Ahh yes my Computer is slow I have only put 3 gigs of ram in it and it still didn't help. I need me a new computer :)

The computer you posted is almost identical to the one I had about 10 years ago, except it was home built not a Compaq (I had BAD experience with Compaq computers when I was like 11 and my parents bought it). If you wanted a PC that would handle basically any game made to this date, you need something more along the lines of this:

http://www.epinions.com/specs/dell-xps-8300-intel-core-i5-1000gb-4gb-dxcwmn1-pc-desktop

That is still outdated a bit but it would play SWTOR no problem. Of course I'm not endorsing buying that exact computer(at all), but those are the specs you're looking for if you were trying not to go overboard on price. You could get a similar set up for a lower price I'm sure. Just make sure the processor is dual or quad core, the number 2.8ghz is the speed of EACH core in processor, the 2.8ghz on the one you posted was an old style single core, which means it's actually more around 1/4 the speed of the one posted above.

Upgrading RAM will have little effect on performance (unless you had very little to begin with). After everything else has been replaced RAM will give you maybe a 5% boost at the end of it all. The biggest speed boost for gaming comes from a nice video card, and second biggest would be processor. Of course if your computer is old you'd need a whole new rig to take advantage of new processors and video cards.

Just saying keep those two parts in mind when buying, they are the most expensive parts, but the most important for performance.

I don't know if you actually wanted a solid reply or if you already know this shit, but there it is in simple english. I could have easily written you an article but I stopped myself.

Maybe I should have used car part comparisons. :lol:

I wish I could play Starcraft on old school battle.net with my p1-75mhz computer again, just so I could slow down everyone's game like a troll:)

The computer you posted is almost identical to the one I had about 10 years ago, except it was home built not a Compaq (I had BAD experience with Compaq computers when I was like 11 and my parents bought it). If you wanted a PC that would handle basically any game made to this date, you need something more along the lines of this:

http://www.epinions.com/specs/dell-xps-8300-intel-core-i5-1000gb-4gb-dxcwmn1-pc-desktop

That is still outdated a bit but it would play SWTOR no problem. Of course I'm not endorsing buying that exact computer(at all), but those are the specs you're looking for if you were trying not to go overboard on price. You could get a similar set up for a lower price I'm sure. Just make sure the processor is dual or quad core, the number 2.8ghz is the speed of EACH core in processor, the 2.8ghz on the one you posted was an old style single core, which means it's actually more around 1/4 the speed of the one posted above.

Upgrading RAM will have little effect on performance (unless you had very little to begin with). After everything else has been replaced RAM will give you maybe a 5% boost at the end of it all. The biggest speed boost for gaming comes from a nice video card, and second biggest would be processor. Of course if your computer is old you'd need a whole new rig to take advantage of new processors and video cards.

Just saying keep those two parts in mind when buying, they are the most expensive parts, but the most important for performance.

I don't know if you actually wanted a solid reply or if you already know this shit, but there it is in simple english. I could have easily written you an article but I stopped myself.

Maybe I should have used car part comparisons. :lol:
Yea I wanted a solid reply, looks like I am going to build my next PC. I am just not looking forward to running Windows 7.

Windows 7 isn't bad actually. In the early beta it ran better Vista does now, and at this point I find Windows 7 to be a proper successor to Windows XP.

I don't actually know how much you know about PC's, but if you are building your own you definitely need to do a little research and make sure all your parts are compatible, there are many factors when it comes to picking a Motherboard

I don't have any parts for one yet...

The only reason I asked that question is cause I have a friend that runs WoW at high and he has the old school IDE hard drives and still uses CRT screens.

Still his computers are older than mine there white FYI. lol

Preferably DDR3. Past that focus on a solid motherdrive for a good graphics card and processor. BUS speeds are important too look at for motherdrives after their comparability with the processor and graphics card(s).

yeah they all hit that, ive got an i7 processor, 6 gigs tri channel ddr3 ram, and a gts240 1 gig graphics card (although you can get better ones cheap)

might want to try newegg or ncix.com, both are great and will help you find compatible stuff :)

I settled with an i5-2500k because price/performance compared to other CPU's is not much different once I overclocked to it 4.0GHZ. That way I had more money for 16GB of RAM and two Radeon 6950's in Crossfire:).

I settled with an i5-2500k because price/performance compared to other CPU's is not much different once I overclocked to it 4.0GHZ. That way I had more money for 16GB of RAM and two Radeon 6950's in Crossfire:).

Going to go out on a limb here and guess that if you dropped to 12 or so g of RAM you could picked up a higher end i7 instead and have better performance now for a similar price.

Yeah that's true but I use a huge amount of ram, I'm a power user. I tend to record music, do graphical stuff, modding games + gaming itself. I wanted lots of RAM, although yeah I guess it's overkill. :lol:. Anyway I got a good deal on the RAM so it was relatively cheap, the second video card is the cash killer.

Actually I just went overboard in general but I only buy a new computer once every 5 years or so, thus I want it to have lots of future potential. I upgraded to this just as my computer I bought 5 years ago was starting to have some trouble with High settings in new games.