The Gaming Thread

I disagree, with the gaming format and its ability to immerse, it makes any good story that hasn't been displayed in such a format go to the next level when done right, and if were discussing games as a whole wouldn't that be the standard the story is held to? If were talking the history of lit, its pretty hard to take anything from the last decade and say the story was 'new'.

anyone here ever play this? thinking about another playthrough. very minimalist story, you almost dont even notice how much it changes until it is all over. then you want to go back and pay attention :lol:. also has dante from devil may cry as a party member (hes no good against the last boss though).
plus you cant beat a game where your party can consist of the archangel michael, beelezebub and shiva the destroyer

Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg

This will be the last time I buy a game from Gamestop in there store. If I buy a game "New" I suggest you give me a wrapped copy, and not go fiddle in a drawer and get the game out and put it into said open box. I will buy there stuff online from now on if I need to get preorder exclusive content.

yeah gamestop is bad for that, try estarland.com. i order most of my games from their, cheap, huge selection, ships to canada (quickly, like 1-2weeks) and the sell that new system that plays nes, snes and genesis games :p

you guys are messing with me, right?

anyone here ever play this? thinking about another playthrough. very minimalist story, you almost dont even notice how much it changes until it is all over. then you want to go back and pay attention :lol:. also has dante from devil may cry as a party member (hes no good against the last boss though).
plus you cant beat a game where your party can consist of the archangel michael, beelezebub and shiva the destroyer

Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg

I was wondering about those games for a long time while trying to find some good new RPG's I missed (I missed much of the PS2 rpg scene due to my PS2 dying, and I stuck with PC after). I couldn't find a copy at the time though and ended up going through Xenosaga instead. I still owe it to myself to play some PS2 RPG's, but if it has virtually no story that kind of kills it for me.

I think the old school JRPG died during teh PS2 era (I DO NOT count any final fantasy after FFX as old school, they switched the combat dynamics completely and most other developers followed... )

Decided. I can't game drunk anymore.

But Why!?

I have a hard time taking all star cast rpgs seriously.

Why can't I game drunk anymore? I make game altering decisions in RPGs while under the influence.

I was wondering about those games for a long time while trying to find some good new RPG's I missed (I missed much of the PS2 rpg scene due to my PS2 dying, and I stuck with PC after). I couldn't find a copy at the time though and ended up going through Xenosaga instead. I still owe it to myself to play some PS2 RPG's, but if it has virtually no story that kind of kills it for me.

I think the old school JRPG died during teh PS2 era (I DO NOT count any final fantasy after FFX as old school, they switched the combat dynamics completely and most other developers followed... )

But Why!?

well i suppose it is not to say it is devoid of story, but it will be like 4 hour dungeon (plus do overs :p), and then you will get maybe 5 minutes of cutscenes where you run into the other survivors. it does play out very slowly and the beauty of it doesnt come until near the end.

however! i was quite like you, always wondered about them but never had access, the shin megami tensei brand has many titles that are very story heavy. this one spans 2 games (havent finished, both take like 40-50 hours)

Shin_Megami_Tensei_-_Digital_Devil_Saga_Coverart.png

all the games have a multitude of sidequests to do near endgame too, in case you want to see some really cool stuff :D. (reaching level 95 i think in persona 3 and 4 grants you access to satan, lucifer, and helel)

FF12 was a good game on the PS2, very underrated. much better than the train wreck that was 13.

12 imo was easily the worst final fantasy :(. then again i did not get very far. i just didnt like how it was trying to be seemless action, but was just turn based, pick an attack and wait around 20 seconds while the computer sorts out who goes when. this might be better later on though :(

rogue galaxy was also very under-rated :D, one of my favorites

I have a hard time taking all star cast rpgs seriously.

Why can't I game drunk anymore? I make game altering decisions in RPGs while under the influence.

:lol:! I do too, and I find it very amusing when I wake up after a night of heavy drinking and my character has done something asinine I can't account for.

Although I wouldn't play a game like Mass Effect under any influence.

:lol: i generally yell the things charecters say when im drunk in game, and when i say yell i mean as loud as i can.

like in warhammer 40k space marine when the orks yell..........anything. SPACE MARINE!!!!!!!!

12 imo was easily the worst final fantasy :(. then again i did not get very far. i just didnt like how it was trying to be seemless action, but was just turn based, pick an attack and wait around 20 seconds while the computer sorts out who goes when. this might be better later on though :(

rogue galaxy was also very under-rated :D, one of my favorites

The battle system was the first tihng to bother me as well, too much CPU sorting things out when I just wanted to play it as I always knew Final Fantasy, a turn based combat system. Besides that though I just felt like the characters were uninspired and I couldn't get into it, dropped it after about 10 hours. The way I see it, either leave it turn based as it was or make it an actual action game style battle (Like Tales of Eternia but 3D).

Sadly every RPG I've tried since FF12 came along has had that exact formula for combat and I can't stand it.

I've had gear discarded in trails around games before upon logging back in. Yes, Many items were never found again.

Did that in Skyrim. I was trying to make room for something I think... Anyways I started up the game the next day and I was in a cave (No idea why, there was no quest) and noticed a bunch of my shit seemed to be missing. So I just did my thing kind of upset at my light inventory and went to Warmaidens. There were Dragon Scales and Bones FUCKING EVERYWHERE at Warmaiden's. I believe I thought the floor of the shop was a good place to put my shit while I was smithing and I forgot about it.

They were very kind to let me throw a backpack of junk all over their floor and stumble out without explanation I thought :lol: