The Gaming Thread

yesterday was i think one of the first days since release i have not logged into diablo 3 (although i was out of province for a couple days in august for oesheaga festival)

I got Borderlands 2 last night, and yeah it's fucking awesome. Borderlands 1 feels like a prototype, the new one is just so polished and plays great. The sense of humor is actually better, every time Handsome Jack speaks I stop what I'm doing to listen because it's fucking hilarious.

I have only one complaint thus far, and that is that although the new AI is more dynamic and challenging, they suffer from "I'm going to stop, stare at the sky now, and ignore the grenades exploding all around me" syndrome. Anyone else have this problem? I noticed it's a fairly common occurrence for the AI to basically lose track of what the fuck is going on and it just.. gives up on thinking. :lol:

Likewise with the AI's tracking ability. In BL 1, the AI seemed to be omniscient, once they were made aware of you they could track you indefinitely even if they couldn't see you (unless you went way out of the battle). In BL 2 the AI tracks you more realistically, but sometimes they get my position stuck in their head and they will run literally right past me to the spot I was like 5-10 second ago and then they stop and stare at the ground where I WAS like "well where the fuck did he go?" even though they just ran past me.

Yeah I got Borderlands 2 last night, and yeah it's fucking awesome. If Borderlands 1 feels like a prototype, the new one is just so polished and plays great. The sense of humor is actually better, every time Handsome Jack speaks I stop what I'm doing to listen because it's fucking hilarious.

I have only one complaint thus far, and that is that although the new AI is more dynamic and challenging, they suffer from "I'm going to stop, stare at the sky now, and ignore the grenades exploding all around me" syndrome. Anyone else have this problem? I noticed it's a fairly common occurrence for the AI to basically lose track of what the fuck is going on and it just.. gives up on thinking. :lol:

Likewise with the AI's tracking ability. In BL 1, the AI seemed to be omniscient, once they were made aware of you they could track you indefinitely even if they couldn't see you (unless you went way out of the battle). In BL 2 the AI tracks you properly, but sometimes they get your position stuck in their head and they will run literally right past me to the spot I was like 5-10 second ago and then they stop and stare at the ground where I WAS like "well where the fuck did he go?" even though they just ran past me.

yeah the ai kinda sucks. sometimes they walk right by me, sometimes they forget about me. i do like the sort of new ai weve been getting though. if they see you and you break your line of sight they will fire on that spot and send pyschos even if you have moved. i love the ability to flank in games.

the ninja starts off sucking, his power feels pretty weak. but once you get going hes such a fun assassin. things like dash 3 feet to deal 3x damage (what it seems like), back attacks do mroe damage. i usually use rifles to wittle them down and once they get close i just bust into the melee. disappearing and back slashing. its insanity

pc versions is nice though, i got everything turned up to max. the draw distance is insane

I also went with the Assassin and yeah he felt a little bit underwhelming at first, but I did not try any other characters so I suspected it's because it does take some time before all the weapon types start dropping. I spent several hours relying on scope-less pistols and a subpar shotgun to deal any sort of real damage. As the Assassin I always figured that my having to resort to medium-short range weaponry without good ironsights or scopes while I'm a fairly brittle character made it harder. Once I got to about level 8 or so I started doing better and at level 15 I'm really getting the hang of using Melee and rifles together fluidly.

I generally keep an assault rifle at the ready for normal travel since a sniper rifle isn't always good in a surprise situation, and I do as much damage as possible before taking out my sword and doing some serious fucking damage. Sniper Rifles are great so far but only if you have some good distance or you get the jump on them. Overall the Melee dynamic of the Assassin is awesome. I just hate how if you get a weapon with a bayonet on it, it overtakes the kickass Sword you usually have.

Anyone have some experience with another character besides Assassin? How would you say they played? Was it also a little tough at the start or are they strong enough to handle themselves until better weapons start dropping? I loved the Siren in the first I think I might try her next. Gunzerker looks a little boring to me, but then so was Brick in the first.

pc versions is nice though, i got everything turned up to max. the draw distance is insane

The game looks really nice yeah. Did you turn up the PhysX setting by any chance? I use an AMD and I can say you do NOT need an nVidia card to use PhysX like they say. The debris and smoke and cloth tattering looks awesome, but they added the fluid physics to the blood and although it seemed like a great idea, it looks dumb. The blood will indeed roll down hills and pour out properly, but it looks like gelatin and really really fake. Decals are better. If they kept all that kickass debris flying everywhere when you shoot things and removed the Jello Blood from PhysX it would be so badass

This is a comparison of the game with and without the PhysX enabled. It's definitely not necessary at all, but it really does make it more immersive to have the sparks flying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also went with the Assassin and yeah he felt a little bit underwhelming at first, but I did not try any other characters so I suspected it's because it does take some time before all the weapon types start dropping. I spent several hours relying on scope-less pistols and a subpar shotgun to deal any sort of real damage. As the Assassin I always figured that my having to resort to medium-short range weaponry without good ironsights or scopes while I'm a fairly brittle character made it harder. Once I got to about level 8 or so I started doing better and at level 15 I'm really getting the hang of using Melee and rifles together fluidly.

I generally keep an assault rifle at the ready for normal travel since a sniper rifle isn't always good in a surprise situation, and I do as much damage as possible before taking out my sword and doing some serious fucking damage. Sniper Rifles are great so far but only if you have some good distance or you get the jump on them. Overall the Melee dynamic of the Assassin is awesome. I just hate how if you get a weapon with a bayonet on it, it overtakes the kickass Sword you usually have.

i felt the same way running around with shotguns. right now (level 17) i am using a sniper rifle. i find there are always people at long distances and....well ive always been a pretty crack shot in shooters without a lot of physics/recoil/etc so it works ok for short range. ive been cycling through using an assault rifle and an smg as i find them good overall. always have a revolver, need high damage output for slow range. plus revolvers and rifles have the whole "you have to reload slowly" which is just so much fun, exhilarating even, ocelot was right.

yeah i have the physx maxed and the fluid does look nice. i do miss heads exploding (seriously, you give me criticals for headshots, so i try and only make headshots, i want a visual reward as well :lol:)

went down the right skill tree and i love it. im gonna start a commando as i think my lady is playing as the girl. girl was the best character in BL1 :lol:

Dude the Genuine Pistols are great too. Not sure if anyone has used one but instead of reloading, you throw the gun at the opponent and it fucking blows up and you instantly get a new gun fully reloaded in your hand. It's so awesome. Too bad they are not all that powerful form what I've seen.