The Gaming Thread

Morrowind is my personal favorite of the series as well but I do admit it might feel outdated compared to Oblivion and Skyrim. It's a lot more complex and in depth, more like a traditional old school RPG. Part of it is the lack of voice acting, which means there are walls of text with loads of information to read rather than quick conversations that are there just to get the point across. Some people might think that sucks but I like that, it made the world feel bigger.

It is a lot more heavy in the numbers department as well, it has a lot of extra skills and stats to upgrade and a lot more player choice, as well as a much better menu system that let you see all your information on one screen including inventory and world map etc. One thing I disliked about Oblivion when it came out was that it felt very dumbed down in almost every way compared to Morrowind. Oblivion's actual gameplay was more refined so combat did not feel so clumsy, while they cut out a lot of the RPG elements as well as the more complex menus.

Morrowind had a bit of an early game issue when it came to combat, it used calculations to determine a hit or a miss so in the beginning levels it was hard to make contact on an enemy even if you were looking right at it which was fine at the time, but with Skyrim out it can feel unrealistic to miss when you are clearly looking right at the enemy.

The game world itself is the best in TES as far as I'm concerned, it has huge variety compared to Oblivion or Skyrim. The game takes place on a big island but within that island are a ton of very different scenery types. On one map you have fishing towns, harbor cities, giant cities inside pyramids, villages in the swamp, vast plains with old fortresses, bigass deserts with sandstorms so violent you can barely see, a giant volcano with barren ash around it (where the nastiest creatures live), there are even cities in the fucking trees.

The variation was awesome and when Oblivion came out it was just a big green field populated with very similar towns. It felt pretty bland in comparison.

However coming from nostalgia, and playing the game when it was considered a technical achievement makes my perspective more forgiving with the flaws.

Ramble ramble ramble
Sounds pretty fucking awesome! Found the game of the year edition for 8$ online :)

(havent played this since i beat it last december).

:guh:
frabz-One-does-not-simply-Beat-Skyrim-ea06d0.jpg

:lol: i killed alduin and stopped getting skill points. finished most of the main sidequest storylines. im for all intents and purposes done with skyrim until i decide to make a new character.

effigy what site did you use? sounds like you make quick decisions :p, hope it was a trustworthy site (although i cant imagine a site tricking people with morrowind as bait :lol:)

:lol: i killed alduin and stopped getting skill points. finished most of the main sidequest storylines. im for all intents and purposes done with skyrim until i decide to make a new character.

effigy what site did you use? sounds like you make quick decisions :p, hope it was a trustworthy site (although i cant imagine a site tricking people with morrowind as bait :lol:)

Gamestop, I had money left and was going to buy it at the store but they didn't have it :)

ah ok that makes sense :lol:, the way you said it i thought it was some random site that was like thanks for credit card into, kbai

try steam or green man gaming? i think both have them. or just wait for gamestop i guess :lol:

now im kinda interested in this morrowind update. i see there are two main ones, morrowind overhaul and morroblivion. anyone know anything about these? might get one down the road

I have not really looked into Morrowind mods since I modded it myself which was years ago. I couldn't tell you how in-depth and game changing the overhauls are, I would just assume it's mostly aesthetic with maybe some added content like items and some monsters types. I doubt game mechanics have changed much. Morrowind Overhaul probably still handles core mechanics like Morrowind, Morroblivion probably has the Morrowind map with Oblivion gameplay. Ideally Morrowblivion (if the creators had the free time to actually complete it) would be the better of the two since you'd be getting the more practical combat with the density of Morrowind. I doubt they ever nailed it though, that would be a hell of a lot of work to get Oblivion to function like Morrowind faithfully. Still it's a great idea, I would love to see Morrowind on a modern engine.

So I decided to do a little research and it seems Morrowblivion is a LOT further along than I thought. Actually it sounds really cool, it handles it more likea giant expansion, you can freely travel from Cyrodil (oblivion's map) to VVardenfell (Morrowind) and basically do both games quests and side quests with one character. That actually sounds pretty awesome to me. Of course it does confirm that the extra abilities and skills and in depth things from Morrowind will be lost. I miss the ability to leap over buildings that Morrowind allowed with its no limits leveling and skill selections:(.

Still if anyone was interested in Morrowind but didn't want the parts that aged badly I would have to say if it does everything I'm reading about, I would have to recommend it. If only to get people to play a fantastic game.

I just want to know how much of the text and in game information/mythos was kept. I hope they didn't dumb down the conversations and lose all that information since the old conversation window is gone. There was something satisfying about not having big quest markers screaming "GO HERE NOW!!" pointing to places on the map you've never even seen like some kind of quest ESP. Morrowind gave you loads of information so you could go and find things yourself and genuinely uncover the map, rather than a uncover straight path to your objectives.

Maybe I'm too old school when it comes to RPG's, seems gamers today don't want to be immersed, they want to be guided.

:lol: belac you are old school, i cant say i miss the no quest marker era. although it did make adventuring a lot of fun.

might get it, they should have made it co-op too, my gal loves oblivion (for some ungodly reason :p)

So I decided to do a little research and it seems Morrowblivion is a LOT further along than I thought. Actually it sounds really cool, it handles it more likea giant expansion, you can freely travel from Cyrodil (oblivion's map) to VVardenfell (Morrowind) and basically do both games quests and side quests with one character. That actually sounds pretty awesome to me. Of course it does confirm that the extra abilities and skills and in depth things from Morrowind will be lost. I miss the ability to leap over buildings that Morrowind allowed with its no limits leveling and skill selections:(.

Still if anyone was interested in Morrowind but didn't want the parts that aged badly I would have to say if it does everything I'm reading about, I would have to recommend it. If only to get people to play a fantastic game.

I just want to know how much of the text and in game information/mythos was kept. I hope they didn't dumb down the conversations and lose all that information since the old conversation window is gone. There was something satisfying about not having big quest markers screaming "GO HERE NOW!!" pointing to places on the map you've never even seen like some kind of quest ESP. Morrowind gave you loads of information so you could go and find things yourself and genuinely uncover the map, rather than a uncover straight path to your objectives.

Maybe I'm too old school when it comes to RPG's, seems gamers today don't want to be immersed, they want to be guided.
Hmmm, so do I just install this on my computer and still play with the same disc? I bought Oblivion so I don't really care if morrowind has a "pathway" to that map or not so maybe the "overhaul" or whatever would be better?