The Gaming Thread

Level 10 pvp is fun...but only open world pvp, because there is always one person getting screwed out of their quests due to it, so emotions run high ^_^

thats a shame cause i remember halo and halo two having really good campaigns. it seems once the focus becomes multiplayer these days, the single player is an afterthought. the opposite is also true.

thats a shame cause i remember halo and halo two having really good campaigns. it seems once the focus becomes multiplayer these days, the single player is an afterthought. the opposite is also true.

This only applies for Halo/COD imo, the series are so fucking popular they don't even need to do anything except make exactly the same game with different guns and maps and will still make millions (billions?)

Armour lock killed Reach for me plus I don't understand why Bungie bowed out. But luckily I read The Fall Of Reach so I was lessed pissed off with the campaign. But how does a fully shielded Spartan die from a needle rifle to the head. I loved Halo 3 till they did that awful ranking system in 2009 then came the vidmasters crap for Recon which was crazy hard if you didn't have people willing to play.

I hope with Halo 4 there will be a better system. What do they have for file sharing now?

I get to hear you say this and then complain about the three overpowered implementations that people overuse, right?

I've been through all the armor abilities and I have to say, it seems like they made all the proper adjustments.

Major changes to multiplayer:
Sprint is always enabled, and with the addition of a certain implement, infinite.

Armor lock has been replaced by a full length shield that points forward and deteriorates with damage.

Invisibility doesn't interrupt the user's radar, but gives away the user's position every 10 seconds or so.

Hologram is MUCH more convincing. I waste so much energy on those fucking things.

Jet pack doesn't boost as high, but is awesome in almost all maps. Probably my personal favorite.

On top of all this, they changed the way weapons on map work, and gave players the ability to select their own loadouts. Power weapons now randomly spawn, and players get an 'ordnance drop' (killstreak) after a certain number of points. Weapons from the drop are random...so even shitty players sometimes get some decent stuff. Helps balance. Vehicles were balanced a little, the most notable is the Banshee which takes more damage from small arms fire. The brought back old Halo weapons and added some new ones, everything seems to be properly balanced. They brought back the forge mode with some very impressive canvases to work with, I'm dribbling pee thinking about the maps I'll see in the coming months.

I literally have zero complaints. I was worried, but the marriage of Halo gameplay and COD style loadouts actually works very well.

I'd highly recommend that you guys at least rent it for the weekend.

This only applies for Halo/COD imo, the series are so fucking popular they don't even need to do anything except make exactly the same game with different guns and maps and will still make millions (billions?)

Derp. I'd say that it would more obviously apply to games whose appeal lies in the multiplayer aspect. Of course they'll put more into that mode, that's why people buy those games.

But you're absolutely deluded if you think that your statement doesn't apply to Assassin's Creed, or any number of other IPs in their third or fourth installment, at this point. It's Ubisoft's Halo/COD. They churn one out every couple of years with refined accoutrements and different targets, but at the core it's they hold to the same formula that made it famous.

Derp. I'd say that it would more obviously apply to games whose appeal lies in the multiplayer aspect. Of course they'll put more into that mode, that's why people buy those games.

But you're absolutely deluded if you think that your statement doesn't apply to Assassin's Creed, or any number of other IPs in their third or fourth installment, at this point. It's Ubisoft's Halo/COD. They churn one out every couple of years with refined accoutrements and different targets, but at the core it's they hold to the same formula that made it famous.

agreed i didnt even know where to begin. assassins creed as an afterthought multiplayer but a good single player. mass effect was the same, single player with mp afterthought. battlefield 3 (and bad company 2) had single player campaigns that were so boring i could not bring myself to finish them. max payne 3 has good single player but the mp is completely full of hackers and is generally pretty bad. metal gear solid 4, bioshock 2, the list goes on im just too lazy to figure it all out.

that was really my point

that being said, there are still tons of games that put out quality both. (not so many sequels, i agree with miasma). demons and dark souls blended single player and mp perfectly. tales games have always had a pick up and play co-op style multiplayer. i suppose i just always wish for more games like goldeneye or timesplitters 2, and especially halo 1 and 2 (never played the rest; at least not for more than an hour or two, dont own an xbox and i suppose i never actively sought out the newer ones) that were just perfect all around haha.

Derp. I'd say that it would more obviously apply to games whose appeal lies in the multiplayer aspect.
That's what halo and COD are...

I personally don't like brotherhood/revalations that much, but saying that the other games in the story are based of their multiplayer is fucking crazy. I'm very confused as to what your point was though.

They churn one out every couple of years with refined accoutrements and different targets, but at the core it's they hold to the same formula that made it famous.
Not really, AC3 is completely different then 1/2, completely different word, controls, attacks, weapons etc, all COD games are really the exact same thing , and honestly I can't even think of a reason to even make another game, other than different maps which they can still add to whatever game they wanted but for some idiotic reason they choice not to, like seriously almost everyone can agree that MW2/3 or whatever game you prefer with every map from whatever series you like (world at war/black ops or modern warfare) should be done instead of making another game. Maybe this is impossible though, it seems fairly easy to do though.

That's what halo and COD are...

I personally don't like brotherhood/revalations that much, but saying that the other games in the story are based of their multiplayer is fucking crazy. I'm very confused as to what your point was though.

what he was saying was i think partly along what i was saying. that COD is the same every year, a high selling multiplayer with a short cinematic single player. the AC would be the opposite but along the same lines. long cinematic single player but with a generally lackluster multiplayer that many dont even touch because it is obviously an afterthought.

im not saying either are bad, in fact i played a little modern warfare 1 and 2 (got em both cheap on steam, figured for the price theyd at least be a nice shiny toy to busy myself with) and i also own and love AC 1 and 2.

^Bingo. I'm saying you can't decry something as homogenized crap without recognizing that much of what you like falls along those same lines. First and foremost, gaming is a business, so devs will make what sells. Saying something like "Oh, they really focused on multiplayer and not the campaign" is absolutely moot because that is quite obviously why people buy those games, so that's why multiplayer would be a focus.

And my mention of Assassin's Creed was meant to point out that they haven't really re-tooled the game, just added some stuff and changed the story...so your comment about COD/Halo devs just making the same stuff was again moot, as everyone is guilty of this from time to time.

In regards to COD and maps, I honestly dont get why the old model of jyst adding maps seems dead. Back in the quake -halflife-unreal tournament era the games multiplayer survived on tons of user created maps coming into the picture and going into regular rotation, plus dev support of mapping with contests and shit. Seems like that model is dead in favour of a hamdful of maps released with a new game each year. Not much value to the player