The Gaming Thread

I personally thinks its pointless to upgrade the PS3, and also don't understand peoples hate for consoles.

I don't hate them but I prefer PC by miles. I see modern consoles as just constricted, weaker PC's. Not only do you have to rely on their networks for connectivity, but they keep getting more and more nazi-ish with their restrictions and due to the simple nature of consoles there is nothing you can do about it.

I have total appreciation for older consoles where the games were exclusive and completely different and unique from PC games in almost every way. While on console they had amazing games like Donkey Kong Country or any Mario game, PC had it's own niche of very different games coming out like Quake and Starcraft. There were lots of reasons for me to own a console up until about half-way through the PS2 life-cycle when the two worlds began to collide.

Now everything is cross-platform and I don't see any point to getting the inferior version of a game with no customization and a weaker control scheme, not to mention reliance on an exclusive source of online play. Now with these damn-near Tyrannical restrictions coming into play I see even less reason to own a console. PC is simply superior in every way, I can play virtually any game including console games old and new on one system. And since a lot of new games I want to play are also on PC I don't see much of a downside.

Plus as a guy that loves to Mod games, there is simply no alternative.

I was worried about the downfall of PC gaming but consoles are getting a shit-ton of flak these days too and a lot of developers are starting to put focus on the PC version of games again.

I don't understand what makes a computer superior for gaming, in my experience online games lag more and there a lot less people playing.

Honestly though if I had a choice to choice between getting a quality gaming computer VS getting a PS3 and "not the best" computer I would get the gaming PC. Mainly because my favorite games have so many mods that would be fun to use and fuck around with. Other than that I really see no difference between PC and PS3.

I don't hate them but I prefer PC by miles. I see modern consoles as just constricted, weaker PC's. Not only do you have to rely on their networks for connectivity, but they keep getting more and more nazi-ish with their restrictions and due to the simple nature of consoles there is nothing you can do about it.

I have total appreciation for older consoles where the games were exclusive and completely different and unique from PC games in almost every way. While on console they had amazing games like Donkey Kong Country or any Mario game, PC had it's own niche of very different games coming out like Quake and Starcraft. There were lots of reasons for me to own a console up until about half-way through the PS2 life-cycle when the two worlds began to collide.

Now everything is cross-platform and I don't see any point to getting the inferior version of a game with no customization and a weaker control scheme, not to mention reliance on an exclusive source of online play. Now with these damn-near Tyrannical restrictions coming into play I see even less reason to own a console. PC is simply superior in every way, I can play virtually any game including console games old and new on one system. And since a lot of new games I want to play are also on PC I don't see much of a downside.

Plus as a guy that loves to Mod games, there is simply no alternative.

I was worried about the downfall of PC gaming but consoles are getting a shit-ton of flak these days too and a lot of developers are starting to put focus on the PC version of games again.

haha, i had this exact conversation with a couple of friends the other day :p and yeah, i agree... there's almost no reason getting console games nowadays, except the ones i consider "for console", like racing, fighter, platform etc.

i think the problem with gaming becoming so "non-nerdy" as it was when we were young, is that the companies can do well even if they release something retarded. if the fans back in the 90's didn't like something, they would boycott it, and it would actually affect the company.

PC in general always have better graphics. this is not noticeable much when just playing games available on all systems, but when you have something designed on PC, it just doesnt compare. skyrim on PC is infinitely better than on xbox. a friend of mine has it on xbox and i was shocked to see load times entering buildings of like 10-20 seconds, for me it is instant. the graphics can be tuned higher, because there is not as much restriction. if you make it for xbox, it must be the best looking product for the xbox for the parts inside. a PC has options, for people with better graphics cards you can make all sorts of things (shadows, physics, animation detail, cinematic detail etc etc) as good as they can design them :p.

$2000-3000?! Maybe if you buy an Alienware but you are basically paying for the name in that case.

I built a beast of a computer for about $950 and it should be able to handle games on their Maximum settings for about 4-5 years before I start seeing lag. I build smart, I keep any parts that don't need replacement (mouse/tower/keyboard, sometimes monitor) and I jsut gut the tower itself and invest heavily in parts that give me the biggest performance boost for the longest. Every computer I build myself lasts a minimum of 4 years before I have to start turning down graphics settings in new games, and even then at Medium-high settings it will still look as good as the console version.

Aside from graphics though I just feel like a good PC is an all around better solution. I can do almost anything to do with media and play almost any game past or present. I don't even use my TV anymore. Plus I have the advantage of having Mouse+Keyboard and a USB controller for games that feel better with it and Emulators giving me the ultimate control scheme.

There is no downside except maybe cost depending on your gaming tastes. Yeah investing 800+ on a computer is pricey Ia dmit, but console releases come around every 4-6 years and it's cheaper for one, but if you want more options you have to buy a second console which puts you right around the same price range without the added advantages.

I've spewed this stuff too often though so I'm going to shu up now. lol. You wanted to know why the console hate so I figured I'd list the reasons again.

That said I almost bought a PS3 just to play Red Dead Redemption. :lol:

i bought a prebuilt dell for i think 1500$, at the time it could run anything, its weak points being the graphics card and power supply

upgraded both last year for 400$ i think. can still run games on max, got some of em up to 120 Hz too.

yeah computers are only expensive if youre impulsive or dumb :lol:. ncix.com even has a PC builder so you know it will all work together.

got a 120 hz monitor. so fucking crisp