The GMD Social Hobby Thread

Lol yeah got back into it, been playing every Saturday the last few weeks. You know us women, we love cuddly little murder machines. Just make sure she understands the importance of meat with the nids because most of their saves are total shit. And the importance of synapse creatures. Instinctive behavior is a bitch.

Yeah I just use pdfs/Battlescribe for my necrons and DA, but I bought her a used Tyranid codex so she has something tangible to absorb. All she has right now unit wise are some used/primed genestealers that she needs to paint and used well prepainted Carnifex and special Broodlord I got a deal on (were from the Blood Angel/Tyranid boxset). She's not quite ready to actually play yet but I told her to read on the synapse thing. Hard to find used deals on the good tyranid units like flyrants, raveners, and mawlocs. I'm keeping my eye out though.

What do you mean lack of formations? You have a shorter cap per unit or something?

Nids also need a new codex. GW is moving in the direction of formations vs CAD, and newer codices have formations. Necrons, SM, DA, Tau at a minimum have formations in their codices (not sure off the top of my head about others). Some supplemental books have formations, both for factions that already have some and those that don't (For example, Mont'ka has Tau and AM [guard] formations. Not sure if it has any other). There are some Tyranid formations out there at least from the Exterminatus supplement and the Blood Angel/Tyranid box iirc.

Formations are alternative army structures to the CAD which confer additional benefits to the member units. Newer codices provide the faction a massive overarching Detachment option comprised of a core formation plus numerous optional auxiliary formations. the Core formation will have it's own bonus, as will the minimum single auxiliary of your choice. This will get you the overarching Detachment bonus, which extends to all formations within the detachment, on top of each respective formation bonus.

http://bloodofkittens.com/formation-compendium-2/

Has most formations. The problem for old codex forces is that to be "Battleforged" you have to run the minimum CAD with no buffs, and then take appropriate formations which don't run against CAD limitations. Of course if you only play casual you can simply houserule all legit formations within a single faction be battleforged rather than "Unbound". (This is all 7th edition stuff afaik). The importance of this is being Objective Secured. "Battleforged" armies get OS, but Unbound armies don't. In other words, if you are Unbound and your opponent is Battleforged, "Contested" objectives are not contested, the Battleforged army has them.

Edit: I'm pretty much done with my own stable of factions: DA for a MEQ army, Guard because tanks, and Necrons because lolnoimnotdead. I am working on some Inquisition/GK stuff to ally with Guard, but I don't intend to ever stand that up on its own. I originally messed with DA as an ally for guard but they just don't work as well as I think Inquisition/GK will, plus DA is one of the cheapest SM factions to get into. Plus bikes. Plus Deathwing.

Oh alright, yeah that shit has come up a little bit. I'm just running unbound to avoid additional headaches. Pretty much just my troops or hq can capture objectives the way we've been playing it. Which is totally fine. I feel like tyranids shouldn't be that organized anyways, there's enough shit to worry about already.

And all that combination shit is IMO a ruse by GW to get you to pour money into more than one army. If you're already doing it, cool, but they can sucka my balls, my shit costs enough already at only 1500 points.

Oh alright, yeah that shit has come up a little bit. I'm just running unbound to avoid additional headaches. Pretty much just my troops or hq can capture objectives the way we've been playing it. Which is totally fine. I feel like tyranids shouldn't be that organized anyways, there's enough shit to worry about already.

And all that combination shit is IMO a ruse by GW to get you to pour money into more than one army. If you're already doing it, cool, but they can sucka my balls, my shit costs enough already at only 1500 points.

More like pour money into the same army. Sure you can get x units and run a 1850 CAD, but get this and that unit and now you just buffed them all. Plus this or that other unit and now they are all even better. omg $$$$$$.

Thank the Emperor for ebay.

If anyone I played with was as into the formation rules as you are, rather than being casual dice rollers with some miniatures, I think I'd break my pieces in half then cry.

I mean for fucks sake David it's a Monday.

Reactions: unknown and Dak
If anyone I played with was as into the formation rules as you are, rather than being casual dice rollers with some miniatures, I think I'd break my pieces in half then cry.

I mean for fucks sake David it's a Monday.

Well Monday is basically my Saturday in terms of my current schedule. Thursday is my 40k play-day.

My RPG group is about four sessions into Mage: The Ascension. I'm really digging it. Of the three campaigns we've done (Apocalypse World and Spirit of the Century), this has been my favorite. It's super immersive and open ended. We spent three hours (our first session) just coming up with the characters and creating the world.

The guidebook for it is fucking huge. It's just shy of 700 pages and cost the GM $200. Our GM sent us PDFs of the book and other materials so he wouldn't have to lug around the behemoth every time we play at somebody else's apartment.

Reactions: Dak
I think I'd really enjoy an RPG, but I don't think I'd want to do a pen and paper variant over the mini's based versions out there, even if it were all independently done, just with generic minis. I can do it all in my head but I like minis. Maybe one day I'll find the right group with the right schedule.

My bachelor party is this weekend. Me and eight friends are renting a cabin in Idyllwild (mountain town two hours outside of LA). A weekend full of amazing beer, food, heavy metal, movies, and games. Here are the games we're bringing:

Catan
Cribbage
Bang
Fluxx
Coup

I asked my gaming partner to bring "entry level" games since not everybody in our group is into board games. I'm bringing Catan and Cribbage. Coup is great if you love subterfuge games like The Resistance

My bachelor party is this weekend. Me and eight friends are renting a cabin in Idyllwild (mountain town two hours outside of LA). A weekend full of amazing beer, food, heavy metal, movies, and games. Here are the games we're bringing:

Catan
Cribbage
Bang
Fluxx
Coup

I asked my gaming partner to bring "entry level" games since not everybody in our group is into board games. I'm bringing Catan and Cribbage. Coup is great if you love subterfuge games like The Resistance

Nice, I've been to Idyllwild quite a few times. I live maybe 50 miles from there.

Reactions: unknown
Bang! Dice would prob be better for drunk fun than the the card version. Didn't get the hype of 7 Wonders, but I know it's popular. Greed (a mobster card game) is the only drafting game I've played that I liked, at least that I can remember off the top of my head. I like Avalon (diff themed Resistance). With the right crowd it's a blast. A good drunk game might be Hearts of Attraction. A "dexterity game" with minimal dexterity required.

I might be down earlier in the day saturday, I'll let you know. Down for this?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/405441488

Well you'd have to demo that game, I haven't played it. However, my current schedule has me working a closing schedule pretty much every fri/sat/sun. My demoing would be limited to mostly classic and/or heavy bgs and standard 40k and on prob mon/tues nights, at least as far as I can project in the next month.