The great and all powerful religion thread!

i don't see why god makes such a big deal out of 'believing in him' or not. i mean if he really wants to let us know he's there why doesn't he just do it? why all the vagueness? not only that... is it reasonable to send someone to eternal torment because they aren't convinced that said god exists even though he's suspiciously absent from the picture?
This is why Iced Earth's song Brainwashed fits this thread. "Believe what I say or Burn in Hell". Christianity was just using that as a way to convert non-Christians into Christians.

i don't see why god makes such a big deal out of 'believing in him' or not. i mean if he really wants to let us know he's there why doesn't he just do it? why all the vagueness? not only that... is it reasonable to send someone to eternal torment because they aren't convinced that said god exists even though he's suspiciously absent from the picture?

But they claim he has, in the form of Jesus and through the prophets before him.

But why can't he make it more obvious? Like him telling the whole world himself.. In fact, the prophets just make him seem more false in my eyes.

Because then it would be concrete belief in fact, which is effortless, and proves no loyalty. Faith, however, requires effort and is a sign of devotion.

I was raised Catholic so I feel obligated to play devil's advocate.

I'm 21 and a 16 year old girlfriend and I would hold hands together at church looking like a couple in love and my aunt and mother were pissed off at her and me. We'd make out outside and smoke cigs and we did not give a fuck about anyone there or the church.

That's the only time I had fun at church and believed in god.

If a king ruled the world, and you could scientifically prove his existence, you make no effort to be his subject since he already rules the world. But if you believed in a king whose existence could not be proven, you have no obligation to be subservient. But if you have faith in his existence, then you have proven your loyalty to him on the most fundamental level.

Because then it would be concrete belief in fact, which is effortless, and proves no loyalty. Faith, however, requires effort and is a sign of devotion.

I was raised Catholic so I feel obligated to play devil's advocate.
I see what you are getting at. Right now I'm in the middle of a DotA game, and was dead so I alt-tabbed because I was bored waiting. So I will edit this post with info.

Ok, I finished.

Why would God risk the future and destiny of ones soul, with the chance that they won't be a believer and have them burn in Hell? In fact, I would rather burn in Hell, than worship a God like that, who doesn't care about his people. Also, if God did show himself, then the religion and worship would still require effort, like going to church, giving up sacrifices, etc.

Why would God risk the future and destiny of ones soul, with the chance that they won't be a believer and have them burn in Hell? In fact, I would rather burn in Hell, than worship a God like that, who doesn't care about his people. Also, if God did show himself, then the religion and worship would still require effort, like going to church, giving up sacrifices, etc.

You wouldn't rather burn in Hell, trust me. Even if you didn't like God, but knew he existed, you'd be better off obeying him, because a lifetime of worship is better than an eternity of torment.

And if God did show himself, yes it would require effort to do him worship, but at least now we have a logical incentive.

k

I honestly don't really care. If you don't have much to add to this thread then gtfo. Even I fucking added something.

no rly.

I am going to this hell where it's like being crushed by nothingness while being mauled by demons eternally you can't see or fight off and regardless just being a soul you can feel the pain as if you still had a pysical body. I don't burn in fire or anything when I die, but I go somewhere and am forever tortured.

I'm a Christian.

If anyone feels they need some prayer, PM me and I will pray for you. Not that I have some extra-special connection with God that other people can't have. Just saying I am here. Also, if anyone wants to know more about Christianity from an honest, searching standpoint, PM me and I can try to talk to you about it. But anyone who just wants to antagonize or feign interest as a joke, please don't waste my time.

I really don't have the time or desire to rehash these arguments at this time. Maybe in the future. There is a level on which I really enjoy these discussions, but they are also time consuming and can be frustrating.

I was raised in my early childhood by an evangelical Christian, and afterwards brought up by agnostics. I therefore feel that I have a lot of understanding for Christianity and tolerance for people with religious mindsets... But I'm personally not religious at all-- I find a great deal of comfort in science, more personal comfort than faith in a God could give me.