The great and all powerful religion thread!

I know a guy at school who is a huge Jesus/catholic hump. He has read the whole bible and is favourite band is Slipknot, man do I get laughs out of this guy.

I was also raised catholic. It breaks my mother's heart that I won't go to mass for any reason anymore.

I started questioning things pretty early because they just didn't make sense to me. Like, if God is all powerful, why have a flood? Why not just strike those people you want to get rid of out of existence? It seems to me looking back on it now that a lot of the stories in the bible are there to illustrate ideas and concepts and probably weren't meant to be taken literally. Also, there are too many gender inequity issues, is God supposed to not like girls as much as boys?

Overall, I think religion was a good thing for getting civilazation off the ground, but at this point I think we've outgrown it, and it may be doing more harm than good. OTOH, if it gives someone comfort I'd be the last person to want to take it away from them.

Were you made to go to Catholic school also? I was, although brief (just a little time during my later years in elementary), it was enough.

I'm an atheist because I want to be different from everyone around here. If I lived in an all atheist area I would be a devout fundamentalist.

:lol: Winner.

Because you think that you can't prove something doesn't exist, you are an agnostic, since atheists believe that they have proven God doesn't exist.
This is utterly incorrect. Atheism is not believing in god. Do me a favor, prove Santa Claus does not exist. You can do that just as well as you can prove god doesn't exist, yet I doubt you would hesitate to say you don't believe in him.

I am a Christian. Pretty much fundamentalist, evangelical I suppose (assuming that means I believe in the Bible as the authority of the Christian faith). I was raised Hippy, then Christian. Then I went Stoner, then Christian on my own.

There are many reasons I believe in Christianity. Some have to do with personal experience, some with logical thinking, some with the accuracy of the Bible on so many levels.
What are these personal experiences? What are your logical reasons? In what ways is the Bible accurate on so many levels? Please don't take this in the wrong way, I would just like to understand more on why people believe what they do, because this topic is of interest to me.

Atheist, but pro organized religion.
Why?

Also to whoever said that evolution was not proven (I think ender). That is an incorrect and sadly wide held view. Evolution is an observable fact with both genetics and fossils to back it up. To not believe in it is either ignorance or stupidity. And for the sake of argument, even if it wasn't supported by such overwhelming evidence as it is now, that only means we do not know, not that some other hypothesis with no supporting evidence (god) is true.