The great and all powerful religion thread!

Catholics and Baptists are more hyperbolic about it, but the real danger is in the modernized churches, where they do it subtly from the inside-out. They don't tell you about your guilt, they say a bunch of things relating to it and let you do that yourself, which I think is much more destructive because the guilt differs from person to person.

Well, the person chooses that lifestyle so whatever

Also, if your looking for real 'devil worshipers' don't look to a band playing guitars and drums.

Numerous people are indoctrinated from childhood. Even if you choose to go to church, the negative effects are still negative.

Yes, but every person has ultimately chooses for theirself, even if they were raised on it. I was born into it also, but I believe what I want and could walk away any time. Also, I'm sure the people who go to those churchs hardly view their effects as negative.

Not necessarily, a lot of people in these churches are born and raised with these paradigms carved into their being from a very young age and do not know how to combat it.

Combat it? Once you reach a certain age you obviously start thinking for yourself

I listened to what I was told when younger, but as I grew older and more knowledgeable and able to find stuff out I formed my own opinion about nearly every religious issue.

What, do you think that people born into it automatically believe everything previously told to them?

I can't believe you're seriously suggesting that one indoctrinated from birth into some religious faith has the same opportunity to walk away from it as one born without one. I was actually just discussing this with a friend of mine who is the former case about why he believes. He told me that if he'd not been born into the Presbyterian faith, he would be much more likely to not believe in anything.

Mathiäs;6451972 said:
I listened to what I was told when younger, but as I grew older and more knowledgeable and able to find stuff out I formed my own opinion about nearly every religious issue.
I think you start from a position of belief and look for why it's wrong, instead of starting from disbelief and looking why it's right.

I can't believe you're seriously suggesting that one indoctrinated from birth into some religious faith has the same opportunity to walk away from it as one born without one. I was actually just discussing this with a friend of mine who is the former case about why he believes. He told me that if he'd not been born into the Presbyterian faith, he would be much more likely to not believe in anything.

completely agree. I look at myself who was not raised to be anything so i could choose for myself later on in life and now i have formed my own opinions, whereas the rest of my ridiculously catholic family is completley oblivious to some statements about the beginning of the earth, jesus, etc. that science has proved to be true. i talked about this with my cousin, who dislikes very much that i dont believe in catholicism, and she says she's never even considered another way because thats what she has been taught since birth. I mean this isnt the case for everyone, but for a majority of people who have been raised by very religious families...probably.

Correct. I realized when I was in the process of losing my faith that had I not been emotionally attached to Christianity for years that I really would never have had any 'reasons' to be Christian at all.

bible.jpg