The great and all powerful religion thread!

You shouldn't. The late 80s to mid 90s was the best era of any comic firm ever. Fo' real. I like Marvel, but I love DC.

Also, Marvel has never produced anything along the quality of Kingdom Come, Dark Knight Returns, The Sandman series or The Watchmen.

Walter%20Joseph%20Kovacs.jpg
I have the dark knight returns, and strikes again in graphic novel form.
Im reading Batman now, but thats the only DC title.

I like Batman, but fuck, the non-Bruce Wayne versions sucked major balls. I quite like Marvel, but aside from a select few characters (The Vision, Moon Knight, PowerFist, Daredevil), they just don't have many good characters. Peter Parker has changed so much that he doesnt seem a very cohesive character, and the fantastic four are fucking gay. (Apart from Ben Grimm, natch)

You don't agree with The Green Arrow ? Shame on you. Also, secretly, I liked Guy Gardner (JLA late 80s early 90s) a lot more than Hal Jordan too.

I have some old Green Arrow comics. They were good.

Anyway, my favorites were

Batman
Green Lantern
Wolverine
Sabretooth

And another X-Men character I can't remember the name of; he was black with some cool lazer guns and shot beams from his hands. Not in the movies.

As much as I like comic book discussion and wish to talk about it, can we form a new thread for it instead of taking this one off topic?

On topic: Did anyone hear about Mother Theresa's letters that came out where she talked about doubting her faith? The ABC story was very balanced and had both a priest (the guy who released the letters) and a member of the Foundation for the Separation of Church and State. Basically the story pointed out that this adds further proof that you can be an amazing and moral person without believing in God. Unfortunately Mother Theresa couldn't admit her lack of faith publicly, but she at least got the chance to do so after her death.

Yeah, enough talk of make believe characters with superhuman powers that seem miraculous.

Back on to comic book characters ;)

I was watching something on CNN yesterday...
This guy from texas has some conservative christian group backing Israel. He (and america) are providing Israel with weapons and tanks etc. He also beleives that jesus will return to earth (in his lifetime), and slay the non beleivers.
This guy is a fucking idiot. He beleives so strongly in armageddon, he's the type of asshole to bring self fulfilling armageddon.

Some of my acquaintances at the local methodist church youth group were talking about former pastors they liked, and one of their favorites was a fervent woman who spoke strongly against the evils of modern culture and actually went so far as to burn an entire collection of "secular" music. It saddened me.

This church also has a video in a collection about "bad, evil things" covering rock and roll. I laughed my ass off and got into a huge debate about the misconceptions about rock and metal. Not that it went anywhere, but I tried.

Mathiäs;6451915 said:
Only extreme Catholics/Baptists etc do that. I've never experienced it.
Even if this is true, it still happens. Hatebreeder says it happened to him. I think it's fabulous your denomination has rejected many of the silly things the more conservative ones believe, but they are still out there and need to be considered.

There are many bad things that need to be considered 'out there'.

Edit- I had another statement to add to this, but I suddenly forgot it

Mathiäs;6451915 said:
Only extreme Catholics/Baptists etc do that. I've never experienced it.

Catholics and Baptists are more hyperbolic about it, but the real danger is in the modernized churches, where they do it subtly from the inside-out. They don't tell you about your guilt, they say a bunch of things relating to it and let you do that yourself, which I think is much more destructive because the guilt differs from person to person.