The great and all powerful religion thread!

All the christians and religious nuts i've met seem to be the most intolerant and closeminded individuals i've ever met,i like talking to them to find out there opinions and whatnot,then i walk away.They don't bother me,I don't bother them.

The religion you belong to doesn't determine how tolerant you are imo. That comes from your personality. We around more Christians than anything else and therefore we experience their intolerance more. I know plenty of Atheists who are utterly intolerant of any other beliefs.

I agree that personality has a lot to do with one's level of tolerance, but of course many religions actually encourage intolerance toward other belief systems. Atheism doesn't really have that problem.

I went to a gathering of religious people ages ago with my mother when i was about ten or so cause one of her friends joined a sort of cult here called "The Potters House" and witnessed people walking to the front and getting touched on the head by some dude and proceded to fall on the floor and speak in tongues,if the bullshit they taught us at school did'nt turn me off religion,which it most certainly, did this was just laughable!! Dunno what i did after that probably went home and listened to some Morbid Angel or something

Michael Ford is a pretty serious guy.
Let me rephrase. No one who should be taken seriously is a satanist.

The religion you belong to doesn't determine how tolerant you are imo. That comes from your personality. We around more Christians than anything else and therefore we experience their intolerance more. I know plenty of Atheists who are utterly intolerant of any other beliefs.
I think you are misusing the word intolerance. I'm sure there are plenty of atheists (myself included) who holds all religions in disdain, but that does not mean they are intolerant. I have never seen an atheist say that theists should be discriminated against, just that there beliefs be open to criticism. Most theists are not intolerant either, but there are definitely examples of it happening, some of which are sanctified in law.

Intolerance to me is when you chastise someone for believing something. While I think a lot less intolerance exists than we all think there is because it sticks out more, it still does exist. Even in Atheism, though I find much less prevalent. Possibly because it is my own chosen unreligion, so I wouldn't experience it.

Whatever intolerance means to you is irrelevant because we have this thing called the dictionary and it tells us what words actually mean.

"lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc."

Criticism is not lack of toleration. If I criticize you for hold idiotic beliefs (for example having a stupid definition for intolerance) I am not being intolerant. Being intolerant would be banning you for said stupidity.

Seriously the most racist and homophobic people i've met come from a religious family or are religious in some way,the restraints they put on themselves seems a little self defeating to me

To be fair, if you read the wrong bits of the Bible, it tells you to kill anyone who believes in 'false gods'. Who needs your own basis for morality when a book tells you what to do?

Seriously the most racist and homophobic people i've met come from a religious family or are religious in some way,the restraints they put on themselves seems a little self defeating to me

I'm an atheist, yet ironically I work in a catholic environment. A couple months ago, I attended some kind of assembly with a public speaker, and many issues were addressed such as gay marriages etc. I was paid 2 full days worth of work to attend this however, so I guess I can't complain.

Though the public speaker tried to convey and open-minded attitude towards the subject he clearly wasn't. He tried to explain to everyone why people should be straight, and cited reasons like "it was God's intention for man and woman...and to carry on life" etc whatever. And a few questions were brought up, like this is one, for example:

What if then, a straight couple was unable to have children (whether it be from the inability to do so, or just from a lack of desire to do so), how is that any different from a gay couple who cannot have children?

After practically floundering in his attempts to answer the questions, he danced around the topic with irrelevant and pathetic analogies, and eventually convinced himself he had answered them to an audience who were convinced he knew what he was talking about...it was kind of sad to see.

He probably argued that gay sex is a sin because it cannot produce a child, and is just as sinful as extramarital sex that is not for the purpose of procreation.