the greatest metal solo of all time?

Randy Rhoads solos on the Tribute live album particularly i guess on Revelation (mother earth) ... other then that so many artists and albums/songs that i like solos... hmm Metallica's Orion solos... many others.. Dimmu on their PEM album... Alex Skolnik with Testament albums... one BM song that i love the solo to is Quorthon's solo on the song :

A Fine Day to Die from the Blood Fire Death album

yeah, the Into The Everflow one is just amazing!!
Just listened to A Social Grace...I love PW! Can't believe how good some songs on there are (say, Halo Of Thorns, Another Prophet Song,...)

im suprised no one has mentioned any firewind, children of bodom or racer x i thought they were the best at the metal solos

Children of Bodom: "Kissing the Shadows" - I love the exchange of guitar and keyboard in the shared solo.

Death: "Pull the Plug" - there's a quick classical tinge in the solo that seems beautifully out of place. In fact, I don't believe I've ever heard a Death solo I didn't like. The middle-eastern flavor in their later material is vaguely supernatural.

Blind Guardian: "Punishment Divine" - the solo is both headbanging and vastly epic at the same time.

Dragonforce: "Through the Fire and Flames" - the dueling solos in this song are immense and virtuosic, even if they can't play them live.

as of right now its no contest for me...
stench of redemption by deicide
the way they make that guitar just fucking scream makes the hair on my back stand

I have to say I'd have to agree with Painkiller for the most 'metal' solo ever.

However, it's not necessarily my favourite. It's not even my favourite Priest solo actually, as songs like Beyond the Realms of Death have far more greatness in a different way.

My favourite solo would probably be something by Iron Maiden - either Hallowed Be Thy Name, Powerslave, or Stranger in a Strange Land (for the bass guitar as much as anything in the last two)

Megadeth - Tornado of Souls

Hell yes, that is possibly my favorite Megadeth song. Killer riffs, killer solo, and a pretty killer title as well.

In addition to that...

Candlemass - A Tale Of Creation
Death - The Philosopher
Dio - Rainbow In The Dark
Dissection - Thorns Of Crimson Death
Manowar - The Power
Mercyful Fate - A Dangerous Meeting
Opeth - The Drapery Falls
Ozzy - Mr. Crowley
Pantera - Cemetary Gates
Possessed - My Belief
Vital Remains - Dechristianize

hmmmm...

Emperor - With Strength I Burn (outro)

Holy crap I LOVE that thing. All Emperor's solos are fantastic actually. Always very tasteful and short (usually a good thing). Opeth tends to have good solos as well. And Gorguts. And Martyr.