the greatest metal solo of all time?

Yeah, everyone is so quick to shout "Crazy Train" as Randy's best solo work, but I think it's nothing compared to "Mr. Crowley". Like with that Megadeth song, it's got killer riffs, a killer solo and killer lyrics. :)

Bathory- Shores in Flames (one of the most dramatic solos ever)
Burzum- Key to the Gate (this is more like a lead, but it is fucking incredible)
Immolation- Rival the Imminent
Creepmime- Chinese Whispers

im suprised no one has mentioned any firewind, children of bodom or racer x i thought they were the best at the metal solos

I do very much enjoy the bass in "Scarified".

Damn, this thread is making me want to go on a Priest binge. Especially for "Beyond the Realms of Death". Unfourtunatley, I lost my copy of Stained Class (well I know where it is... I just can't get it).

Oh hey, now I remember that I have it on a mix CD I made: "Judas Priest Does Hamlet", an enlish project from way back in High School. And I thought High School was pointless!

I like Demilich solos, not because they're actually good solos but they are eerie and really nihilistic.

Carcass - Forensic Clinicism
Slayer - Mandatory Suicide (outro)
Megadeth - Tornado Of Souls
Arch Enemy - Silverwing
Mercyful Fate - Evil
Metallica - One

Those are ones that I think of now.

I think so. If you know what something means you can figure out what sounds like it.

Yeah I've always enjoyed Demilich's solos too. I like Gorguts' slightly more... but Demilich definitely knows what they're doing. Very sick sounding.

Other ones.

Opeth-windowpane(towards the beginning)
Old Man's Child-felonies of the christian art(near the end)
Agalloch-not unlike the waves(towards the middle)
Bloodbath-feeding the undead

Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper

As hated as a lot of their output is, I still think that is a fucking cool solo.

Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper

As hated as a lot of their output is, I still think that is a fucking cool solo.

ha yes COB are extremely infectitious.For some reason listening to Follow the Reaper(at the time when it used to be a staple in my stereo-long time ago) always reminded me of Elton John-especially of this one particular song of his-I'm Still Standing

I'm Still Standing after all these years...
Dudh duh duh duh duh duh duh
Duh duh duh duh duh duh duh...

Yea, I know-it's crazy but one of the tracks on FTR has the vibe of that song

metallica- master of puppets
children of bodom- bodom after midnight
arch enemy- burning angel

Children of Bodom- Any song off of Follow the Reaper (needled 24/7's solo is pretty good too)
Dragonforce- Revolution Deathsquad
Hypocrisy- Suffering Souls
Death- Story to Tell