the greatest metal solo of all time?

I'm a guitarist and I have a massive ego.

rly

same here. there is some powerful about the geetar!. I feel somewhat better seeing majority of the population sit at desks and do not even really care about music let alone instruments. You have tons of people with stupid interests and hobbies.

Hmm, I never really remember which ones were my favorite. I really like the one on zero tolerance by death. Then there is painkiller. BOth the original and the death cover kick ass. Well, I really like meshuggah solos, but I can't think of one that stands out. Stengah maybe. Same with cynic. Mabye all these solos will stop bluring together once I can play some of them on guitar. As of now, I still suck massively. Now sax solos, I could go on and on about.

And for a non-metal, I like the howler by king crimson. THat one is bat fuck crazy. ALso, to be even more old school, I like the one on firth of fifth by genesis. Very dramatic.

This album was a nice surprise for me. It struck me as just Dissection worship at first, but I like it. :)

I do not see it as Dissection worship and just natural progression from the previous album just like all their albums. I am pretty sure Necrophobic came out before dissection. Regardless Necrophobic and Dissection have their own identities and are fathers of black/death and their is going to be simularities. Necrophobic is oldschool as hell and they still kick the shit out of extreme bands. You really can't go wrong with any cd from them.

michael romeo tends to play the same riffs over and over. fantasticly talented guitarist. he has some great songs, but i find that after a while his riffs tend to have the exact same feel and progression. same notes.

from Martyr, ex-gorguts, ex-cryptopsy, has some of the best guitar licks ever, and going strong still. the new martyr is a testament to that. That man is seriously ridiculously talented.

some examples of how much he kicks everyones ass can be found here:

http://www.myspace.com/martyrcanada
and
http://www.myspace.com/danielmongrain

Though it isn't quite metal, my favorite solo of all time has to be the solo from the live BBC Sessions version of Thank You by Led Zeppelin. Page absolutely slays on that, oozing tone and emotion.

Second place goes to a definitively Metal solo for the ages, Sails of Charon by The Scorpions. Uli Jon Roth laid down the gauntlet with that track. A total masterpiece.

Then Arcturus' Fall of Man. Carl August Tidemann is the kind of guitarist that makes me weep when considering my own skills. Not just because of his technical ability to play circles around me, but for the tone, the depth of his sound and his control over the emotive possibilities of a fretboard. This solo is, for me, a perfect creation.

As has been mentioned before, Cacophony's Speed Metal Symphony is definitely one of the most ridiculously awesome exhibitions in guitar history. Becker and Friedman together were a force no '80s shredder could touch. I'm also partial to Randy Rhoads, despite not being much of an Ozzy fan. The solos on Mr. Crowley, Over the Mountain, and Mother Earth are legendary.

Carcass' Carneous Cacoffiny is also a favorite of mine, as well as No Love Lost. Carcass solos pretty easily rank above most others in the genre.

The whole of Dark Tranquility's The Gallery is full of outstanding lead guitar work as well.

Vogg of Decapitated is consisent (or was) with pulling off excellent solos. Even though the album itself was a dissapointment, I enjoyed the solos on The Negation a lot.

And how can I go without mentioning Megadeth. Tornado of Souls has long been one of my favorite solos.

And Death! The Philosopher is classic, like so much else of the band's lead work.

Windir's Arntor features some excellently emotive and passionate solo work that rips right through me.

And the brief but awesome solo at 12 minutes into Sacrilegium by Devil Doll.

And I'll stop now...:lol: :kickass:

Reactions: ~Neurotica
Some of you mentioned these:

Death - Pull The Plug/Spiritual Healing
Dying Fetus - Grotesque Impalement
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Vital Remains - Dechristianize
Obituary - 'Til Death/Cause of Death
Morbid Angel - Evil Spells/At One With Nothing
Sepultura - Dead Embryonic Cells
Pantera - A New Level

Mors Principium Est - Inhumanity

There guitarist is just amazing :)

Never listened to Nitro, but if MAB did alot of solo's for Nitro, then I'd guess those would be my fav, because I love MAB he is the god of Guitar *Michael Angelo Batio*

Also, any and all SuidAkra Solo's, SuidAkra just one amazing fucking band.

Death - Voice of the soul because it makes you feel things when you listen to it

Judas Priest - Painkiller because the speed speed drives you insane making you want to learn how to play it

Savatage - Gutter Ballet because it is difficult yet beautiful

thats all I can think of tight now.

HolyMarsh has some sick solo's, they are from South Korea lol :)

Holymarsh - Dissolved Memory its all instrumental is reallllllllly good.

Im not sure how many of you have heard of them though :)