the hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether animals have emotions or not obviously depends on the animal. Lower animals like insects are pretty much driven by instincts and don't seem to be capable of anything else (they also have incredibly tiny brains so they simply have no capacity to do much other than react to things around them).

But more complex animals do. Cats have emotions. They have the ability to recognize their owner and to show affection to them and them alone. When we used to come back from vacation after three weeks while having someone take care of our cats they would go nuts as soon as we entered the door again after three weeks. Yet they pretty much ignored my mom's friend who came by to feed them twice a day. Same goes for dogs and lots of other animals probably.

What makes man different from animals is not emotions, but self-awareness. As far as we know there are no animals that are aware of their own existance and of the fact that they are going to die someday. Though even that is disputable. I saw some documentary on elephants in Africa once that had very odd death related rituals which seemed to indicate that they do have an understanding of death.

because sentient usually implies the ability of feeling happiness or pain (at least in most philosophical ramblings I've read).

Life past the age 16 is pretty much pain so I consider it a strong emotion.

If an animal is killed and makes sounds the animal probably has a soul.

Erik said:
pain is one of the most primal and primitive feelings, it's not even an emotion, it's just something connected to our most basic survival instincts that tells us "uh guy it's probably just not a very good idea to put your hand in the campfire" and stuff like that

Where did that come from. Also, pain isn't ONLY physical like that...there are more advanced types of pain, definitely, that aren't necessarily PRIMAL...

CAIRATH! Cats! Totally...my cats can tell when someone in the household is sick; they'll go voer to them and lay with them usually...and this can happen even when the sick person is nowhere near the cat...also, when we come home from ANYWHERE, my outside cat will come greet us right as we turn the corner onto our street...HOW DOES IT KNOW!?

I don't think pain is an instinct. It's an involuntary chemical reaction between the brain and the nerves to warn you that something is wrong.

^ And you're right V.V.V.V., there are different types of pain. Emotional pain is experienced in animals as well as humans. There are many stories of mother cows who've given birth in factory farms, and have their new borns taken away from them they cry and cry and make so much noise and are without a doubt incredibly distressed that their baby has been taken from them. Sure it's an instinctual reaction, as much of one that any new mother (human or not) would have, but it's also extremely emotional.

Susperia said:
It's an involuntary chemical reaction between the brain and the nerves to warn you that something is wrong.
That calls innate instinct.

There's also the distinction between physical and emotional pain. The latter obviously being an emotion. Though I suppose emotional pain is usually the result of another emotion and so maybe that doesn't count as an emotion by itself.

Well I can take a blow to the chest, stomach, and head and still get up laughing, but sting and pierceing... Gah that hurts so much more.

Errr, after taking a blow to the chest or stomach - I'd probably couldnt breathe for a few minutes. Head - I had once. Still alive. Wasnt laughing though lol. Arms, legs are ok for me. Sting... I dont have any. Piercing. The same (ears dont count).

Status
Not open for further replies.