The high points of recent prog metal?

darkblade

heartbeat of the earth
May 26, 2007
Doylestown, PA
since i started into blind guardian's "a night at the opera" prog metal has been my love. with that in mind i have found a few things that travel above and beyond in this genre.

Albums
- "A Night at the Opera" by blind guardian. -great song structures with layer upon layer of instrumentation creating a symphony out of layered vocales and guitars. highlight- and then there was silence.
- "Temple of Shadows" by angra. -beautiful use of south american instrumentation with a very unique style. some of the most talented instrumentalists are here and they aren't afraid to show it. highlight- shadow hunter, and winds of destination.
- "Paradise Lost" by Symphony X - probably the album that meets my "what i want in a band" list on most points. it's heavy, it's full, it's godlike perfection. not a problem with this one. from the heavy domination to the beautiful title track, to the groovie serpents kiss. highlights- PL, Walls of babylon, domination.
- "Speak of the Dead" by rage - a bit of film score style orchestral arrangments with guitar god victor smolski bringing in his original brand of heavy groove metal. highlight- No regrets
- "For the Love of Art and the Making" by Beyond Twilight- one of my favorite albums of all time. a 37.5 minute long song broken into 43 tracks, there is no possible way i can explain the many genres that are used in this masterpiece. if you don't have it GET IT!!!. check out their myspace for clips.

Songs
- The odyssey (sym X)- you guys need noexplanation.
- The Old House on the Hill (dragonland) film score instrumental metal. the composition in this peice is amazing. i can't get enough of it.(this is NOT steriotypical stuff like the bands name suggests)

write in your own prog matal revelations! tell me about them! only catch is that they have to be recent (2000-present day)

I could list many, but they aren't properly prog metal, but other kindds of metal with prog components. (Anathema, Agalloch, Moonsorrow, Scar Symmetry, all excellent...) Suffice -

2007: Zero Hour - Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond
2006: nothing.
2005: Sieges Even - Art of Navigating By The Stars, Kamelot - The Black Halo, Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
2004: Pain of Salvation - 12:5 & BE, Orphaned Land - Mabool, Man On Fire - The Undefined Design
2003: Redemption - s/t, Masterplan - s/t, Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild
2002: Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane, Sylvan - Artificial Paradise
2001: Andromeda - Extension of the Wish, Savatage - Poets & Madmen, Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice
2000: Avalon - Eurasia, Pain of Salvation - TPE1

There are a multitude more great albums (most better than these) that came out in the last 7 years, but they don't quite fit 'prog metal' in my opinion. Prog metal has been very hit and miss. Mostly miss.

2004 was a good year:
Disillusion - Back To Times Of Splendor
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Cea Serin - Where Memories Combine
Wastefall - Soulrain 21

2005:
Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter

Opeth.....
Suspyre - A Great Divide
Aghora - Formless
Mindflow - Mind over Body
Oceans Of Sadness - For We Are
Fragile Vastness - A Tribute to Life
Frantic Beep - The Sense Apparatus
Thought Chamber - Angular Perceptions
To-Mera - Transcendental

I guess I have to revisit Adagio...

Wow ! Im way out of touch, I havent even heard of most of these bands

Listened to a lot of Opeth this past winter but do to vocal reasons. Damnation was most listened to
Mindcrime II - ? I know, it should have been better but Im old fanboi so I like it except for the death/post death part that drags on. Its still older metal sound so it probably doesnt rate as current
Was disappointed with Poets and Madmen
Just to piss everyone off .............. Octavarium get regular play around my house

Ive seem to have spent more catching up my old stuff on CD than buying new, just dont want to buy something and then not really be crazy about it.

Over melodic chorused Power Metal erks me.
Black Halo is good but I wish they played more stuff like "This Pain" that song really grabed me. I just require this certain edge to the guitar riffs to be content. And vocals that are'nt real shoddy or the opposite like melodic power medal. My favorite bands have releases I dont have yet as well a Ray Alders new thing, Olivas Pain. Its so hard to keep up. Gotta buy more on line, music stores are a joke these days.

You caught my attention with A Night at the Opera. That album rules - and you hit it on the head with the song structures. Usually I hate it when songs don't repeat much, but they pull it off so well. I wouldn't say, "And Then There Was Silence" was the highlight, though.

Also, the Black Halo is fucking awesome.

l noticed there are alot of picks that are not necessarily prog metal but symphonic or power metal with some prog elements thrown in.
This list could change if l dug a little deeper, but anyway:

2000 - Digital Ruin/Dwelling in the Out

2001 - Beyond Twilight/Devil's Hall of Fame, Zero Hour/Towers of Avarice, Ark/Burn the Sun

2002 - Heaven's Cry/Primal Power Addiction, Elegy/Principles of Pain, Section XVI/Identity Crisis, DT/SDoIT

2003 - Poverty's No Crime/The Chemical Chaos

2004 - Dreamscape/End of Silence

2005 - Spheric Universe Experience/Mental Torments, Redemption/The Fullness of Time

2006 - Vanden Plas/ Christ 0, Silent Voices/Building Up the Apathy

Currently - Dream Theater/Systematic Chaos, Darkwater/Calling the Earth to Witness